+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Just found out I'm pregnant - what first?

So I went to the doctor and found out I was pregnant. I'm totally at a loss as to what to do next. I already know I want a midwife throughout my pregnancy, permitting things go well, but do I need to get an OB as well? Or will this only be necessary if my pregnancy is problematic? Who will deliver my baby in normal circumstances - the midwife?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Congratulations
    First things first - will you be going public or private?
    If public you are zoned to a particular hospital due to where you live. Google or your gp can help. Hospitals in my area have an online booking form.
    If private, you'll need to figure out which hospital you'd like to birth at then find an ob who delivers there or vice verca.
    OR home birth options, private midwife etc....

It's VERY confusing - good luck!!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ButterflyMa For This Useful Post:

ericasymonsxoxo  (12-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm not entirely sure yet - private is an option, though as of right now, public. In terms of hospitals, the one I'm closest to is Gold Coast Uni Hospital, though I'm not sure if there are other options (ie. birthing centres?) Also, do I need to book an OB, or can I just book a midwife unless a problem arises?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    You don't need an ob, it's optional for routine pregnancies and high risk ones have to have one. You can definitely go with a midwife or obs-gp if you'd like. At my local there's a midwife care program, you ring and book in and they will send you to an obs-gp to get clearance (ie make sure you're low risk). I'd ask your gp about the options available to you.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Ruby_Tuesday15 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm in Vic but usually you book with the hospital and at the first appointment they asses they type of care you need. Either way (high risk or low risk) in the public system you'll mainly deal with midwives with an OB appointment thrown in here and there. They will do all the booking for you after your initial booking iykwim?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ButterflyMa For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    It is confusing as there are many options. Personally, I've chosen share care with my GP and hospital. What this means is I have my usual monthly (increasing to fortnightly and then weekly) visits with my GP and I just go to the hospital for my other visits. Usually one around 26 weeks to check in and register with them, and then 36 weeks and one at 41 weeks if bub still hasn't arrived.
    I have gone this way both times because I feel comfortable with my GP. I have been seeing her since I was a teenager. Even though she won't deliver my baby, I am happy to do everything else with her.
    When I go into labour, I will just go I the hospital and check in to the birthing suites and a mid wife will be there to deliver my bub. I found that I was seeing a different midwife every time I went to the hospital so it didn't make a difference who was there on delivery day anyway as chances were it would be someone different again, and trust me, your that out of it with the pain, you don't care anyway lol.
    I am now 38 + 5 weeks with number 2 and eagerly awaiting for labour any day now as my first was born at 37 weeks.
    I have had a student mid wife following me the last few weeks as well, coming to my doctors visits. She will be there on delivery day do that will be one familiar face (other than hubby lol) and can help me through. Look into a student midwife program, they are very good and you are helping them graduate

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I chose shared care with a private midwife and the hospital. Instead of seeing the GP (as PP above) I saw my private midwife for most appointments and the best thing was that these were done at my home! No waiting around - perfect!

She also did my post natal care. Medicare covers a fair bit of the cost. I think we were about $2k out of pocket for pregnancy and birth.

TheGooch is offline Winner 2014 - Newbie of the Year
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I'm kind of at a loss too! Congrats on your news ericasymonsxoxo!
    I'm high risk (weight and age - but mostly weight) so I'm seeing the private Ob this week. It's early to see them apparently but because i'm totally freaked out and have absolutely no idea, I wanted to see one asap. I've heard this one is a rude prick but good at what he does. I don't care about the manner as long as my questions get answered and they are good at what they do.
    I'm private and have decided if this guy is no good but i need that level of care, i'll go to the city and see someone there.
    Wishing you all the very best for your pregnancy!

Thanks
    Reviews
    No one delivers your baby. You will birth them!

Think about how much money you have and want to spend, and what is important to you.

Homebirth, birth centre, hospital

private hospital (you will need to employ an ob) or public hospital

private midwife or public midwife/ves

one carer throughout your pregnancy and birth, or multiple

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was all set to do the midwife program because I wanted a very low intervention birth, if possible. I went and had my first app and then had to go and see the obs-gp to get my low risk clearance. She was so awesome that I cancelled my midwife apps and went to the gp instead!