+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Simply when it feels "right"

We have good friends who are referred to as aunty and uncle

Waiting for marriage is a bit outdated, surely?!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Our son referred to hubby's siblings' partners as Aunty and Uncle as soon as he could talk/say their names, even though they hadn't been together all that long.

But, my cultural background is such that we refer to friends of parents as "Aunty" and "Uncle" even though they aren't related. Even though my husband is not from the same background, our son still calls friends of the same cultural background as me "Aunty" and "Uncle".

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Dh and I have been together for the better part of 20 years, I was present at my nephew's birth and I am still on first name basis only. It upsets me because it's just another way for my in laws to let me know I will never be accepted as part of the family. All cards are addressed to Uncle x and y.

Thanks
    Reviews
    For me it's not about how I feel about them tbh. There are a few people I don't particularly like or trust with myself who I know without a shadow of a doubt would walk over hot coals for my DD if she asked them. They'd protect her and look after her when I or FOB couldn't. So they would be an Aunt or Uncle.

It's the commitment they have to my children that determines what role they play, not the relationship I have with them. For me my relationship with a person is irrelevant in this particular case.

But that's just my take on it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Cue View Post
    My brother's girlfriend is Aunty to my DD, but they have been together for years and live together.

I think they would need to be pretty much considered part of the family to get Aunty/Uncle. So long term relationship, engaged or married.
    This. My SIL's partner is considered uncle to our DS, they've been together years though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    As soon as they are 18 and have a bf for longer than a few months they become uncle. We don't see my sibs cause they live in the UK but 2 of them have BFs and I have referred to both of them as uncle when we were over last Xmas. One of them also refers to her bf as uncle when signing cards for dd etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    My niece-in-law randomly called me Aunty one day when I was playing with her. At the time, DH and I were engaged (we had only been together a few months though). Noone 'corrected' her, so I became Aunty then.
    After we got married, if she says my name without the "Aunty" bit, people correct her. It doesn't actually bother me, but she is happy to call me that.

ETA: we have friends that the kids call Aunty and Uncle

Thanks
    Reviews
    Both of my parents are only children so we have no real aunts or uncles but have called a few select friends of my parents aunties and uncles since we were kids and they looked after us in that way

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I was referred to as Aunty every now and then by BILs and SILs to their kids when DH and I had been dating a while but now that we are married, they're in full blown Aunty mode.

To date, we have never referred to any of my brothers girlfriends as 'Aunty' yet (A. he's young and they haven't been really long term and B. It hasn't felt right.)