+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default When does a siblings partner become "Aunty" or "uncle"?

My SIL has been dating a really lovely guy for about 6 months. He's great with our 10mo daughter and she loves him. Recently, SIL and MIL have referred to him as 'Uncle' a few times and I don't know if I'm comfortable with that. But I don't know at what stage a partner becomes an Aunty or Uncle as my BILs (my sisters husbands) were around for a long time before our daughter was born so they were obviously referred to as 'Uncle' straight away. To me, the titles of Aunty and Uncle are quite special, I know that a lot of people refer to their friends as Aunty and Uncle to their kids, but to me, they are reserved for family. What are your thoughts?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Upon engagement/marriage for me.

Sent from my HTC One SV using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Same, when they're engaged to be married, married.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I became aunty to my Fiancé's sisters little boy after about a year of us being together. We weren't engaged at the time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Vonnie89 View Post
    I became aunty to my Fiancé's sisters little boy after about a year of us being together. We weren't engaged at the time.
    How did it happen? Did they just start referring to you as Aunty one day or did you talk about it?

Thanks
    Reviews
    My brother's girlfriend is Aunty to my DD, but they have been together for years and live together.

I think they would need to be pretty much considered part of the family to get Aunty/Uncle. So long term relationship, engaged or married.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Well our family is pretty relaxed as we are so small & broken up we have many Aunties & Uncles that are not blood related. They have to mean alot to us though or be a big part of our lives, not just someone we see once or twice at gatherings. I have one sibling whose partners come and go like flavoured icecream, so in that case regardless of whether weve known them for a year or two they would need to be very serious or engaged before we would consider calling them Aunty or Uncle lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My fiancé (then boyfriend) started calling me Aunty Von when his nephew was around and it just stuck.. DF's sister and her partner never seemed to have a problem with it and the two boys they've had since also call me Aunty Von, I love the boys to bits and happily refer to them as my nephews =)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I think when they live together, I think that shows enough sign that they're not going anywhere any time soon. I refer to my brother's partner as Aunty all the time. They've been together for a lot longer than my DH and I (seven years) and own a house together. I feel if I said she's not an Aunt she'd feel very excluded.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My sisters partner is uncle, they live together and have been together for years. They will be getting married at some point and he is most definitely part of the family.