+ Reply to Thread
Page 24 of 40 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hi, thought I'd join too. I think most of you know my story anyway, I am looking for a known donor locally(ish) on egg donation australia and egg donor angels. I may look into SA or Prague if things don't get moving in the next few months. I have had two donors contact me, just one seems to be serious about considering donating to me however.
    @Chiefsgirl glad you are ready and set to go, it sounds exciting!

If this NZ lady does work out it will be quite expensive for me too as I will have to pay the full cost of a NZ clinic, plus flights, accommodation and her expenses. I won't put back more than one embryo either so I'm looking at a few trips and FETs realistically. She's 30 but has just donated to another couple and they got their BFP first go and have 7 in the freezer. Lucky buggers
    Just waiting to hear back from her

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Bongley For This Useful Post:

Chiefsgirl  (17-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Good luck @Bongley. I've started reading back through the egg donation SA threads, I'm on thread 1 and boy oh boy, its going to take me the entire weekend to get through all of them !! I'm starting to write down the hotels, car hire places, restaurants, towns etc but I think I may run out of steam pretty soon....

4. The Following User Says Thank You to JulieMalooley For This Useful Post:

Bongley  (17-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 27/8/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/5/15Busiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    Leyshoja it took me a whole long weekend to go through those threads last year while I was planning to go...you might need to take a week off work at this stage lol.
    Hi Bongley - welcome over here...I hope the NZ donor works out!
    Yeah 'local' cycles work out as being just as expensive as SA or Greece most of the time but you'll have a known donor.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to emski72 For This Useful Post:

JulieMalooley  (17-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    @leyshoja & @emski72 Yes, I had a good read of those threads a while back. it all sounded very appealing! I'd love to go to SA.
    Something that puts me off though is the long flight. My son needs to be constantly entertained and managed and is very prone to real blood curdling screaming and tantrums at the moment. A long flight with him would probably break me (and everyone around us) Still we have to get him over to the UK at some point to meet his grandparents.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Bongley For This Useful Post:

JulieMalooley  (17-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Bongley View Post
    @leyshoja & @emski72 Yes, I had a good read of those threads a while back. it all sounded very appealing! I'd love to go to SA.
    Something that puts me off though is the long flight. My son needs to be constantly entertained and managed and is very prone to real blood curdling screaming and tantrums at the moment. A long flight with him would probably break me (and everyone around us) Still we have to get him over to the UK at some point to meet his grandparents.
    Oh dear, that would be hard. I'll never forget a flight I had coming home from the Cook Islands and it was a midnight flight, so everyone of course was trying to sleep. These 2 poor parents had a kid who I swear was around 10 and he just screamed and cried the whole time about 'not wanting to have a sleep'. It was blood curdlingly loud. I am a shocking sleeper so went prepared with some super-duper earplugs and I jammed them up against my brain (almost) and pushed my headphones in on top of that. I think I was the only one that slept... It was a nightmare for everyone on that plane but I can't even begin to imagine how bad his parents felt. Ah... the joys. Something for me to look forward to

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by leyshoja View Post
    Oh dear, that would be hard. I'll never forget a flight I had coming home from the Cook Islands and it was a midnight flight, so everyone of course was trying to sleep. These 2 poor parents had a kid who I swear was around 10 and he just screamed and cried the whole time about 'not wanting to have a sleep'. It was blood curdlingly loud. I am a shocking sleeper so went prepared with some super-duper earplugs and I jammed them up against my brain (almost) and pushed my headphones in on top of that. I think I was the only one that slept... It was a nightmare for everyone on that plane but I can't even begin to imagine how bad his parents felt. Ah... the joys. Something for me to look forward to
    Heheh, it will happen!
    If the child was older then he may have had a disability. My boss goes on skiing trips every year with his kids and his eldest teenager has an intellectual disability. One year his kid started swearing and shouting and they nearly got chucked off the plane! I know you'd probably develop a thick skin by that point but that would be really hard to handle.

I've read some traveling tips that parents should take earplugs and sweets to give to all the people around them.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bongley For This Useful Post:

Chiefsgirl  (17-04-2015),JulieMalooley  (17-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi ladies, another q on donors.

So our fav donor isn't avail and we have been going through them again. Yesterday a new donor popped up and the coordinator suggested someone else. We like them both, but have concerns about both.

Background: I am 5.3/5.4 and currently overweight at 77kgs. I have hated being short my whole life. I was skinny (size 8 in my teens, 10/12 20's and early 30's). Since getting together with dh and now ttc I have put weight on and am struggling to lose it. My mum is very overweight, my dad has passed but was short and skinny.

I am a blue eyed blonde and dh has brown eyes and brown hair. I have always been complimented on my eyes - they are quite big and you can see both lids (if that makes sense, ie not deep set).

Donor 1 Is 26, has 3 kids and has donated 1 and gave 36 eggs. She is 5.6" and is 52kgs. Her parents are taller and not overweight. She has blonde hair and hazel eyes that are deep set. She is very pretty and her baby photos are cute.

Donor 2 is 5.7", 19yo, never donated and never pregnant. She has blue eyes and brown hair and Is 72.kgs. She looks pretty darn close to me in the face. She plays track and field and basketball which can attribute to her heavier frame, but her parents are quite overweight too.

My dilemma, do I pick the girl with skinny genes and my hair colour or the girl who looks more like me but might have weight issues in life (and early on).

I know with dh there is only slim chance of a blue eyed baby as brown is more dominant, and if we adopted the child wd never look like me, but I just don't know what to do!

Am I overthinking things? I figured if we had a choice I'd want to give my baby every chance of having a great life and I know my weight plays heavy on my mind. I'd hate my child to go through what I have.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Gosh I'm glad I didn't have to choose my donor! My view is that weight is about life choices as much as genes, remember that kid on biggest loser whose Dad had competed in the Tour de France? It sounds to me like you might be a little hard on yourself about your weight too - cut yourself a break luv, you'll probably find it all settles down once this ivf thing is over. A child wants to 'belong', so with donor eggs in the mix you want as much as possible to have them look and feel like they belong, that means picking the donor that is going to produce a child closest to what you and DH would have produced (as hard as that is to do). As for being short - I'm tall (tallest in my entire extended family) and I always wanted to be petite, so I think we always want we don't have :-). I'd probably pick the donor who looks most like me. I don't know if that helps at all. Good luck with your choice.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Vixjc For This Useful Post:

Chiefsgirl  (21-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 27/8/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/5/15Busiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    My 2¢'s? I'd say over thinking... Lol...but you've just started looking so totally understandable. I started looking at donors before we even started out our last OE cycle so I had a lot of time to look and get my head around it all, so by the time it came down to brass tacks and I had to pick a donor I put it down same hair colour, eye colour, height and went with someone with a lower weight than me. I tended to focus on the basics and as Vix says trying to make that kid feel like they fit in.
    My parents and grandparents are all superfit and my sister and I are both overweight so go figure.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to emski72 For This Useful Post:

Chiefsgirl  (21-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh dear @Chiefsgirl, now that I've read this description of your two donors I would hands down go for the one who had 36 eggs. To be honest, that is the thing that stresses me the most about going to SA for another donor. What if I end up with no pregnancy and/or no frosties. We had a conversation last night and DP has said that if we go to SA and its unsuccessful ie no frosties either, that's the end of it - so now I'm especially dead-set on getting a young and hopefully very fertile donor. So much so that I'm about 90% health and fertility, 10% looks when I finally select a donor. Also, the donor we have just used we didn't get to see any photos of, just a description and family history so I'm already used to thinking that way. Sorry I know that's a very strong opinion but my circumstances have led me to think those things.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to JulieMalooley For This Useful Post:

Chiefsgirl  (21-04-2015)