+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Milly Molly Mandy View Post
    That if you don't satisfy a pregnancy craving, then the baby will have a birthmark.

To this day my MIL will say she remembers the moment she craved a strawberry and didn't eat it and that's why her baby was born with a strawberry birthmark.... Oh.dear.
    I have a birthmark that looks like a whale :-O

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Ruby_Tuesday15 For This Useful Post:

JR03  (13-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Luminary View Post
    Carrying high/low story.
    This was true for me

Quote Originally Posted by Janet2850 View Post
    I haven't heard this... I'm 20wks and my mum said I was carrying low, what does it mean???

Miracle bub due 3/06/2014
    Carrying low means you are having a boy.
    Carrying high means you are having a girl.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by *Chels* View Post
    I heard you if you get heartburn it means your baby has heaps of hair.I got it sssoooo bad I was throwing up and both my babies were born with heaps of hair don't really understand that myth but in my case it was true
    Same here.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Slyph View Post
    My mum explained this one to me. The reason being was back in our grandmothers time women mostly only came home with an empty pram if the baby died, so a fear developed over having an empty pram inside the house.
    Yep very true. My mums not old but still believes this one. She freaked when she saw dd cot and pram all assembled in her room while I was still preggers and demanded I take the pram down.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by preggasaurus View Post
    My mum believes this one too. She says to layby the pram and only go and pick it up after baby is safely in my arms. I didn't, I collected the lay by whilst in labour a few hours before she was born.

The reason mum believes it so strongly is kinda vague. She's mentioned having a still born child but won't go into details, and I think that she half believed the old wives tale, ignored it and bought the pram anyway, then the child was still born. I think mum blamed buying the pram on having a still born.
    Oh that's heart breaking my mum is a bit iffy on it too. I guess grandma instilled it in her when she was having us. I was a little bit funny on it but decided I wasn't going to allow it to affect me. We wanted to buy the bigger price ticket items while ttc so we can get exactly what we want without stress of cost. Occasionally I wonder if the reason we aren't pregnant yet is due to the baby stuff and the room having been picked already is a factor...then I convince myself I'm being silly!

Thanks
    Reviews
    In certain Indian cultures you're not allowed to buy ANY baby things until the baby is born. Which I personally find unnecessarily stressful to the new parents (imagine... having to buy the baby capsule after your bub is born!).

It's a very old myth, so I assume from pre-modern science days where you couldn't guarantee the baby would be fine.

Thanks
    Reviews
    An Indian guy that I worked with printed off a bunch of pictures of babies when his wife was pregnant. When I asked why, he told me that there's a belief that when a woman is pregnant and she puts up pictures of cute babies where she'll see them every day, the baby will come out looking like the babies in the pictures. I don't know if that's a cultural thing or just some old wives tale he'd been told.

Thanks
    Reviews
    When I went to my anti Natel class we were talking about some cultural beliefs if anyone had any. I remember a lady saying they eat the placenta or the cord. Because it makes there skin look better. Mind you this was 2 years ago just about.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Re not hanging up washing etc - so how exactly are we supposed wash/do our hair? By those rules, we'd need a helper for that too! Hmmm....someone to wash my hair, brush it, style it...and the chores for next pregnancy? Yes, please!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Quote Originally Posted by Nafsika View Post
    When I went to my anti Natel class we were talking about some cultural beliefs if anyone had any. I remember a lady saying they eat the placenta or the cord. Because it makes there skin look better. Mind you this was 2 years ago just about.
    Lots people eat the placenta as it is great for PND. I heard of people making a soup out of cord to feed to siblings. It is supposed to make them very close as they grow.