+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Another crystal user here. With 3 x 100% indoor cats it does start to get in the nose after the 4th or 5th day though, so we go thru 2-3 bags a fortnight :-/

We also use an enclosed tray which is shaped like a car carrier with a door in the front (though we took our door off). Helps stop crystals being sprayed everywhere - those things hurt worse than standing on Lego!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We used to get the big bags of cheap cat litter, sprinkle bicarb soda through it, clean it out once a day and fully change it every three days and got an enclosed litter tray.
    Eta: We had two litter trays and so once a week after the second changing it would taken and be cleaned out properly, and the other one used while the first one air dried.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Jennaisme For This Useful Post:

loislane2010  (12-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    The problem may be the size of the tray and how often it's cleaned out.

I had to get a larger tray with a top that curved back in for my large elderly inherited nx tom. He still kicks the crystals around, but they stay in the tray due to the curved in design. The other tray we had for our smaller cat angled outwards and was fine for her as she's neat and tidy.

If there is any faeces in the tray he kicks that out before he'll use the tray again. He won't share either, so we have to have two trays.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mummytomy2boys View Post
    Nothing will stop the kick out, how long is your cat? my tabby is a long cat and I find the standard litter box is to small for her so when we only have that she kicks the litter out, to stop tracking an old piece of carpet around it will collect the litter off their feet.

regarding smell etc I was using the home brand and it is rank, I use the select paper now as I visited my cousin and you couldnt even smell that there was litter, its twice the price but nicer and it can go into a pot or garden bed as mulch
    Slightly OT, but cat poo and urine is actually pretty bad for your garden, plants and grass 'cause they're on a strictly carnivorous diet.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Dont buy a small litter tray. Get a higher tub (like the one below) thats what we use and he never kicks it out. Just have litteron floor that I spilt last night putting it in his tray.

We buy the cheap woolies litter stuff and change it every second day but scoop out the stuff that has pee and poo on it.

Sent from my GT-I9507 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Attached Images

Thanks
    Reviews
    When we just had the one cat I had the big covered litter box and I used cat san clumping litter. Clean it out daily and a complete change fortnightly. Inbetween changes I'd top up with fresh stuff. The only stuff that spilled out was what was on the cats feet so I put a mat down.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Catsan

We have two large Main Coons and have tried every type of litter. The best for us is Catsan. We clean the trays morning and night and it is by far the best in terms of track marks and smell.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We used to use the Catsan clumping litter for years and it's pretty good, but we've moved to the Coles brand Crystals now. A friend, who sadly lost her cat, gave us what she had at home and was no longer needing. They seem to hide odour much more effectively. I'm not sure how to stop the kick-out though. Would love to know!

HugsBunny is offline Once upon a time there was a bunny.........
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I use the litter from Kmart. It's $6.50 a bag and is just like the Catsan crystals.

I have a part main coone so he's quite a large cat. His litter tray is a large storage tub so that he can't kick the litter out everywhere. I think I'll try the carpet/mat idea around the tray to help get all the crystals off his feet when he's finished.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by teenie View Post
    We use Breeders Choice. It's made of recycled paper. We've tried every type and it is by far and away our favourite.

I find it hides the smell great and is natural and breaks down. Plus what does spill means its only paper you step on, not hard little rocks!!!

This is the type of tray we use