+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Change rooms in male/family restrooms?

http://daddydoinwork.com/change2014/

"Here’s the situation: MDW and DDW1 spent some “girl time” together Saturday afternoon, so I took the baby out on the town. During our excursion, she pooped (5 month old babies tend to do that every now and then).A changing table only in the women’s room? Not cool.I took her to the men’s restroom of this unnamed establishment and there was no changing table. I looked for a Family restroom, but there wasn’t one. Then I noticed that the women’s restroom door was propped open due to it being cleaned and there was a changing table in plain sight (pictured here).So what did I do?This time I left and changed her in the back of my SUV without raising a fuss. As I typed a lengthy email to the corporate offices, I realized that this is a huge problem. Companies like this are basically saying, “Only women can change diapers here.” It’s damn near 2014, not 1914. This is not OK with me."

I've just recently discovered this blogger and this piece in particular spoke to me as I often heard men saying they're uncomfortable or have had a bad experience using parents/family rooms.
    So what do you think of this movement? Do you think steps like this would encourage men to be more hand ons in public or even at home?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

2. The Following User Says Thank You to VanityFey For This Useful Post:

sunnyflower  (11-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    These days any new establishment is meant to provide wheelchair access amenities. I have found in most establishments that these multi sex toilets generally include a change table.

They can be a royal pain in the proverbial as you are in some instances forced to straddle the porcelain throne in any endeavour to change a baby.

Better facilities is always a plus

Dave The Turning Cowboy

turning wood into art

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We recently went to a local pub for dinner with family and DD needing changing so DF took her. He enquired where the change table was and was told in the female toilets. That didn't faze DF and he turned to go there when the staff stopped him and told him they would have to go in with him and supervise.
    Now that he had a problem with. He was going to change his child, what did they think he was going to do.
    I had to go and change DD because some random wasn't going to be supervising a nappy change.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Quote Originally Posted by Lincolns mummy View Post
    We recently went to a local pub for dinner with family and DD needing changing so DF took her. He enquired where the change table was and was told in the female toilets. That didn't faze DF and he turned to go there when the staff stopped him and told him they would have to go in with him and supervise.
    Now that he had a problem with. He was going to change his child, what did they think he was going to do.
    I had to go and change DD because some random wasn't going to be supervising a nappy change.
    That is disgusting.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We had a similar problem out for dinner at a local bistro. DH was going to change DD and when he enquired as to where the changing facilities were they were in the women's toilets. So I went to change DD instead

Thanks
    Reviews
    Surely they were "supervising" to ensure he wasn't being a pervert towards the women using the toilets? Not actually to watch the nappy change.

Yeh it's a tough one. I feel for dads in these situations but at the end of the day if that's where the change table is, then the establishment will need to accept that men will be visiting the women's toilets to change their baby. It's never happened to us, I find it's always in the disabled access toilet.

Perhaps if all dads change bub's nappy on the table in the restaurant, the owners will quickly make alternative arrangements!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Yes @grumpybump but as if he is going to be peeving on women..? He is changing a nappy!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I totally would have lost my **** if some stranger wanted to "supervise" my baby having his nappy changed. If they're not going to provide a place where men can change their babies then they need to expect that men will be going into the women's toilets to do it.

I don't see anyone getting all upset about men going into parents rooms, where women also use the toilets and breastfeed their babies, why think that a man is going to do something if he changes his baby in the women's bathroom?

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DarcyJ For This Useful Post:

Boobycino  (11-01-2014),HugsBunny  (22-01-2014),LoveLivesHere  (11-01-2014),snowqu33n  (11-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kw123 View Post
    Yes @grumpybump but as if he is going to be peeving on women..? He is changing a nappy!!
    Off topic but....How do you even perve on a woman in the female toilets? They go into the stall fully clothed, and come out fully clothed. Unless washing hands is now a turn on?

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to wannawannabe For This Useful Post:

Boobycino  (11-01-2014),HugsBunny  (22-01-2014),LoveLivesHere  (11-01-2014),Purple Lily  (11-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by kw123 View Post
    Oh I agree but they don't know him from Adam and I suppose they feel they need to protect their female patrons?

14. The Following User Says Thank You to grumpybump For This Useful Post:

Donnab739  (01-02-2014)