+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I used flannel flats with mine. We wet pail and use plastic pilchers. They really aren't that much trouble but once I was working 4 days I stopped bothering. We had minimal blow outs once I worked out how to pull it really tight around the legs.

And one of the benefits is you can use them for everything - spew rags, wiping up wee on the change table, blankets and wraps at a pinch.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to amyd For This Useful Post:

NewMrs  (12-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Thanks ladies for you positive stories..
    It makes me wonder why people are sk quick to try and get the idea Out of your head!
    Im looking forward to using them!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I used MCN's but loved flats as well! What I loved them for was at home, because I could pop one on with a fleece liner and no cover- so they are nice and airy for bub, lightweight, and you could see as soon as they wet so you could change them, because who wants to be sitting in a wee nappy for a couple of hours? And because they were so quick to dry it didn't matter if you were changing them every half an hour or whatever.
    That was definitely my favourite aspect.

And as PP said you can use them as spew rags, floor rags, anything! And now mine are all still going strong, sitting under my laundry sink years later, and they get used allll the time, as cleaning rags, craft/paint rags for DD, mats for personal space boundaries (LOL), just about anything really!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to CMF For This Useful Post:

NewMrs  (12-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by CMF View Post
    I used MCN's but loved flats as well! What I loved them for was at home, because I could pop one on with a fleece liner and no cover- so they are nice and airy for bub, lightweight, and you could see as soon as they wet so you could change them, because who wants to be sitting in a wee nappy for a couple of hours?
    Ditto! No cover at home so you can tell straight away when they have peed or pooped and that makes for a quicker change and happier bum.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to debsch For This Useful Post:

NewMrs  (12-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I haven't used terry flats but I have used prefolds and I found they were awesome during the newborn stage when you go through so many changes. I just use mcns now because she has grown out of the last size, my hubby prefers mcns and they are a little fiddly now bubs is 6 months and squirming around on the change table. I had a lot if resistance to using cloth in general but just because someone else couldn't be bothered with them doesn't mean you will and I find half the resistance is the perceived effort. Most people think there is so much extra work and time involved. Where I think it's easier to wash a load then go to the bin, store etc.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Mdk For This Useful Post:

NewMrs  (12-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mdk View Post
    ... I find half the resistance is the perceived effort. Most people think there is so much extra work and time involved. Where I think it's easier to wash a load then go to the bin, store etc.
    Yes, and I think that gives you more independence - and using flats kind of opened my eyes to what else I could use as a "nappy" if I was out and had run out of flats/disposables... baby blankets, old tea towels, any piece of cloth really, can be folded up and used as a nappy. I've got a snappy and safety pins somewhere in my bag for that reason, but you can use their shorts or onesie to hold a temporary nappy in place if you need to.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to debsch For This Useful Post:

NewMrs  (13-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    i found flannel flats easier to get a good fit than terry flats in the newborn stage. I just made my own from nappy flannel from spotlight.

I recommend getting good fitted covers. I prefer PUL to PVC. Baby Beehinds were one brand i used, but there are others.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Bubbles10 For This Useful Post:

NewMrs  (13-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've never used them as nappies but in the past 24 hours I've used one as a liner on the change mat, one as clothing protection while I treated DD1 & DD2 for headlice, one in the car in case of mess, 3 on the carpet under the highchair while DS played with grated carrot.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to abibelsmum For This Useful Post:

NewMrs  (13-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bump

Thanks
    Reviews
    My mum pulled one out of the cupboard yesterday - it's 33 years old and still going strong (ish) so they're pretty darn durable and can be used for everything

18. The Following User Says Thank You to ButterflyMa For This Useful Post:

NewMrs  (20-01-2014)