+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Terry flats.. the positives!!

Im currently 12 weeks pregnant with my first child. Due july 2014.
    What im wondering is if you ladies out there have/do use Terry flat squares as your nappy of choice.
    Im fairly well certain, well I am certain, that ill be using these for my bubs but I keep getting told horror stories...
    "You'll hate them"
    "Too much hard work"
    Im sure the mcn are much easier as you dont have to fold them.
    But I dont think time will be an issue. The effort isnt an issue.
    So id love some advice on using these nappies, good stories etc..
    Like I said I'm certain im going to use them..I just want to hear some positive things about them!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I loved them with ds1. Not hard at all. I had a bucket of water in the laundry. I used liners. Flushed the liner and put the nappy in the bucket. Then id tip some water out until I could lift the bucket, tip the rest into the washing machine and washed them. I folded them and put them in the cupboard for next use. I used them during the day until he was 7-8mths old. I used sposies at night and while out.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IndigoJ For This Useful Post:

bunkx  (20-01-2014),NewMrs  (11-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    You won't know until you've tried them. I went out and bought 3 packs of them (36) and I don't know how many times I got pooed on (bf bub) so I switched to mcn. They made great spew rags though. I liked using them better than mcns coz they dried quicker and bubs looked so adorable with a chunky cloth butt, but I was sick of the poo since DD would poo almost every feed when she was a newborn. Perhaps I could of tried a different fold. Only people I know who used terry flats were my SIL and mum and both ff so they never had the issues I did.
    I'd give it a go for sure and go from there

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Fiery For This Useful Post:

NewMrs  (11-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Ps you still have to snap mcns so it's about the same amount of work

7. The Following User Says Thank You to IndigoJ For This Useful Post:

NewMrs  (11-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I love mcn's - I hasn't tried flats but ignore the ppl who say it's hard work. Laundry is my weakest chore. I put it off as much as I can- hate it. But since using cloth in always on top of the washing and I love how beautiful my clothes line looks
    The only thing I wonder when I see the terry squares is what would you do about over night?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Bindi81 For This Useful Post:

NewMrs  (11-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    As far as I can tell you still use terry squares over night.
    You may just need a different fold and a booster..
    My mum seemed to manage on all 3 of us kids so im hoping ill be alright!

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have used them full time since birth and I love them. I really don't understand what everyone thinks is so hard about them! They are cheap as chips, bomb-proof, dry in about a minute on the line and are very absorbent! Once you have your fold practiced it will take you 5 seconds per nappy.

We have a small amount of cheap MCNs that we used while out and about when she was younger (17 months now). I much prefer the flats. MCNs cost more, you have to be mindful of how you treat them and for us they leak and they STINK. But they are handy and very quick for out and about changes.

As for overnight, we use a flat as normal with an insert from the MCNs in the middle, with a fleece liner to keep her feeling dry. PUL cover over the top as usual. We went through a bunch of different overnight MCNs etc but in the end we should've just stuck with the trusty flats!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to GreenMama For This Useful Post:

NewMrs  (11-01-2014)

SuperGranny is offline Worlds best grandma! Winner 2012 - Most Helpful Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    hi, I had four children inc twins, and I only used terry flats. I soaked them in two buckets, with a disinfectant and water. I tipped the buckets straight into the washing machine. I loved watching the nappies dry on the clothesline. I had small babies and just folded the nappies to fit. I had four children and only bought four dozen nappies. I was given some second hand too. I also used plastic pilchers when away from home and overnight. If I was going to be a mum again I would do the same now. I hate the environmental damage with the disposibles . Marie

14. The Following User Says Thank You to SuperGranny For This Useful Post:

NewMrs  (11-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I used terry squares on both my kids until they were about 18 months old. I liked using them and didn't find it difficult at all. I used the plastic pilchers for DD but changed to Fleecy ones for DS. I used bits of chux cloth for liners. Overnight I did them exactly the same I did during the day. We had a few explosions when they were newborns but once they got a bit older they were fine.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to new mum 15809 For This Useful Post:

NewMrs  (12-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I bought a variety of MCNs when I was expecting #1, plus some prefolds and covers, but never really considered flats - thought they would be too hard... WRONG! I bought some terry flats after a couple months and used them with a velcro belt until bub became hard to change lying down, then switched to cloth pull-ups. Terry flats are so easy to use, clean, and dry. And so SIMPLE.

There are different types of terry flats too... some are square and some are rectangular. I went for the square ones, but the brand I chose wasn't good quality - loose threads, and they wore thin after a while. The rectangular ones (in a pack of six) are much better.

Oh and I used this fold here:
    http://www.bubhub.com.au/community/f...led&highlight=
    Still don't know what it is called!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to debsch For This Useful Post:

NewMrs  (12-01-2014)