+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Autism - traits and achievements

Hi all.

Some of you will know me, I'm a bit of a veteran when it comes to autism related forums. I'm here from time to time, with worries and complaints and I felt its time to focus on the good stuff.

As all kids, ASD kids are all different. So what makes your child tick? What are his/her autistic traits, what makes them so special and what are their achievements?

My DS is 3.5 years, some of his autistic traits include;

Flapping his hands when excited.
    Repeating phrases from movies or ads.
    Loves watching things fall and spin.
    Loves running past things looking at objects sideways.
    Cannot interact with other children.

His "achievements" are; (some of these things are considered normal for NT kids, but for my DS its a big deal)

He has reasonably good eye contact.
    He wants to interact (adults only)
    He knows all his shapes, colours, alphabet.
    Can count to 60 and backwards from 10.
    Can read 70+ words and is starting to sound out new words.
    Is starting to get his toys to "talk" to each other - pretend play.

No matter what level your child is at, their achievements should be acknowledged. Remember some things are harder for our kids that others take for granted. When my child learns something new, I want to shout it from the roof top. ITs not always easy, and some things get you down, but I also realised that sometimes I forget to focus on the things he can do.

So what are your childs autistic traits and achievements?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    That's an awesome achievement for any child that age so you should be proud.
    My asd child is 5 and a half and his biggest achievement last term at preschool as he suffers major social anxiety. Was that he was able to stand up in front of the other parents at school and perform in the Christmas party. He kinda just stood and sang a tiny bit but it blew everyone away and I'm so proud of him for being able to overcome his anxiety where the term before he couldn't even last a whole day of preschool on a good day.

Thanks
    Reviews
    our3boys- That nearly made me cry. I tell you, I'm so proud of these kids. They are thrown challanges and they just keep trying. Good on him, you must be over the moon, and very proud.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    They sure are such strong souls. I'm extremely proud of my little man next big step is primary school at the start of February.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi ladies

I'm subbing to this thread to be back later to share the story of my little man. Thank you for sharing your stories and chat to you both soon

Thanks
    Reviews
    I should also note;

I would love to hear from anyone about their ASD child to come forward about his/her achievements and uniqueness. It doesn't matter if you think it is too small, or insignificant - it isn't! To them it's a big deal and to me it is too, so let's rejoice in our little ones triumphs.

I should give you all a little bit of background first. Sure my child is doing well, but there was a time where he was on a platto, in his own little world and I felt it wasn't getting better. He didn't talk (until 3 1/2 years old), didn't appear to be paying any attention, and hardly made eye contact. Then one day, at 2 years old, he looked at me - straight in the eye and held my gaze for about 5 seconds. Mighten sound much to most of you, but it made my week. To me, that is an achievement. In his little world, that's huge and it was for me too, and it didn't matter if I was the only one who saw it for what it was.

Welcome cantwait1 !!
    Last edited by mysweetboy; 11-01-2014 at 15:42.