+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 4.5 year old - sensory mouth issues - management

My 4.5 year old DD has sensory issues with her head (hearing - has grommets in, washing hair, brushing teething etc), as well as anxiety.

It took me until well into toddler hood to be able to brush her teeth - and just in the past couple of months have I been able to floss her teeth.

We use Jack and Jill toothpaste as it's not minty (which is too hot for her, so she doesn't want to brush). But every day, there's a lot of complaining, a lot of delaying tactics, lots of rinsing her mouth etc.

Well, I stupidly bought a different toothpaste (similar type, different brand, the SLIGHTEST bit of mint and pink) over Xmas.

Since then it's a mission to brush. Washing it all off the brush, being very upset, so much fluffing around that my patience is shot. I have been pushed to the brink with the 10 minute procession it takes to brush her teeth.

Parents with experience:

1. Should I just have kept going with the Toothpaste brand she is happy with (despite it costing an arm and a leg lol) to ensure she brushes?

2. For Anxious children - what have you said / done to make this process better? I try to deflect the numerous, repetitive questions about the toothpaste back onto her by asking 'what did I just answer' but she cannot help herself.

Would love to hear of others experiences. Thanks for reading this far! X

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I would definitely keep buying the same toothpaste. I just spent $2,000 (after Medicare/PHI rebates) on my 5yo's teeth due to non brushing when he was younger due to behavioural issues, so I just do whatever I can to brush them now.

My son doesn't have sensory issues but he's anxious and defiant so there is often a lot of negotiation or angst over teeth. He only likes one type of toothpaste, but thankfully it's the supermarket kind.

Hair washing is a bigger issue for us. He once allegedly got some shampoo in his eye, so now we do it about once a month only with a cloth. No water goes near his eyes, but he screams hysterically the whole time, thrashes around etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Can't help you with the sensory issues but my ds1 4y hates brushing his teeth.

The only toothpaste he will use is Oral-b stages which is berry flavoured.

I buy it from selected chemists but also noticed it at the dentistry we use as well.

It's such a struggle I agree, up until a month ago I was literally mounting ds to keep him pinned down so I could brush his teeth.

Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MsMummy View Post
    I would definitely keep buying the same toothpaste. I just spent $2,000 (after Medicare/PHI rebates) on my 5yo's teeth due to non brushing when he was younger due to behavioural issues, so I just do whatever I can to brush them now.

My son doesn't have sensory issues but he's anxious and defiant so there is often a lot of negotiation or angst over teeth. He only likes one type of toothpaste, but thankfully it's the supermarket kind.

Hair washing is a bigger issue for us. He once allegedly got some shampoo in his eye, so now we do it about once a month only with a cloth. No water goes near his eyes, but he screams hysterically the whole time, thrashes around etc.
    Yes, we just spent big $$$ getting fillings done but the dentist said that going forward now that we are brushing and flossing every day we are on the right path.

Your comments are kind of similar to my hair washing experience too - I wonder then if it's more to do with the anxiety??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by misho View Post
    Can't help you with the sensory issues but my ds1 4y hates brushing his teeth.

The only toothpaste he will use is Oral-b stages which is berry flavoured.

I buy it from selected chemists but also noticed it at the dentistry we use as well.

It's such a struggle I agree, up until a month ago I was literally mounting ds to keep him pinned down so I could brush his teeth.

Good luck
    I have to clamp my legs around DD to keep her still enough to brush, close the bathroom door, and prefill the cup with water otherwise she will use them as diversionary tactics.

It's exhausting and it upsets me as I feel terrible I have to battle so much to do such basic health care

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IslandPrincess View Post
    Yes, we just spent big $$$ getting fillings done but the dentist said that going forward now that we are brushing and flossing every day we are on the right path.

Your comments are kind of similar to my hair washing experience too - I wonder then if it's more to do with the anxiety??
    It's hard to know. I thought he may have sensory issues, but I had him assessed by the OT last year as the doctor suggested he might have sensory processing disorder, but he didn't. He's sensitive to water and light in his eyes though.

It's hard when they are anxious - the same questions over and over again.

I find with teeth brushing, I have to catch him in a good mood, give lots of warning, have the right tooth paste, let him brush first, and then he lets me brush. or some days I have to pin him down.

Did your daughter have GA for the dental work? I was so embarrased that my son had to have a GA and have an extraction and two crowns at 5. It was just a whole combination of factors, unfortunately.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IslandPrincess View Post
    I have to clamp my legs around DD to keep her still enough to brush, close the bathroom door, and prefill the cup with water otherwise she will use them as diversionary tactics.

It's exhausting and it upsets me as I feel terrible I have to battle so much to do such basic health care

Hugs.

We have our routine too, if we don't follow it, it's doesn't happen. And to have dh do it instead of me, God forbid.

I think some kids are just more difficult than others, or, in another way, just require more patience. My boy is the most loving, most funny kid but yes some things are just an absolute battle. But I still adore him and have learn to pick my battles with him.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to misho For This Useful Post:

IslandPrincess  (11-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default 4.5 year old - sensory mouth issues - management

Quote Originally Posted by misho View Post
    Hugs.

We have our routine too, if we don't follow it, it's doesn't happen. And to have dh do it instead of me, God forbid.

I think some kids are just more difficult than others, or, in another way, just require more patience. My boy is the most loving, most funny kid but yes some things are just an absolute battle. But I still adore him and have learn to pick my battles with him.
    Thanks - I think you are right there are certainly more sensitive children out there (and DD is sure one of them). I think I am dojo the right thing by trying to introduce her to a heap of new things but it probably doesn't suit that personality type (anxious).

She's amazing and funny and so joyful, but a right pain in the bot bot too sometimes lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's hard to know. I thought he may have sensory issues, but I had him assessed by the OT last year as the doctor suggested he might have sensory processing disorder, but he didn't. He's sensitive to water and light in his eyes though.

It's hard when they are anxious - the same questions over and over again.

I find with teeth brushing, I have to catch him in a good mood, give lots of warning, have the right tooth paste, let him brush first, and then he lets me brush. or some days I have to pin him down.

Did your daughter have GA for the dental work? I was so embarrased that my son had to have a GA and have an extraction and two crowns at 5. It was just a whole combination of factors, unfortunately.
    did they say why despite having those sensory issues it wasn't defined as a disorder?

It's exhausting hearing the same questions over and over isn't it! I always answered them thinking it was helpful but apparently that just feeds the anxiety in them more.

No GA for her fillings, couldn't afford it after being smashed for grommets. Had to take her to child friendly dentist - The Tooth Fairy and we worked through it. Was harrowing

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

I use goggles to wash my kids' hair. Have you tried that? It might help.