+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Diet Soft Drinks - Are they bad??

So I have given up juice (for weight loss and to be healthier ie. no sugar diet)- which I basically used to live off - because I really dislike water (bad I know) - but after drinking only water for a couple of weeks I gave up and started drinking zero sugar/diet soft drinks. So is this bad do you think and why??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm no expert but fairly certain diet soft drinks are worse than normal ones, I think it has something to do with the phenylalanine content. Not sure about the "zero" versions though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Apart from artificial sweetners being really bad. It's a proven fact artificial sweetners actual cause weight gain. They are sweet so the body creates a chemical reaction anticipating energy from the sweetness, however as they don't have the calories or "energy" to match the body then sends signals out to consume to get that energy

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Plan2bamummy For This Useful Post:

Mahjong  (12-01-2014),PurpleButterfly4  (11-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I drink a bit of coke zero, which I'd like to give up.

It's bad because:

- acidic - although ok, if you drink it quickly and then wash your teeth with water so your teeth aren't bathing in it all day

- apparently the fake sugar can make you crave the real sugar so you end up not eating any less sugar anyway

- there is some contention about whether the fake sure in them can cause cancer or some health issues

Have you tried soda water? It's just carbonated water and can be quite satisfying.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/3/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Plan2bamummy View Post
    Apart from artificial sweetners being really bad. It's a proven fact artificial sweetners actual cause weight gain. They are sweet so the body creates a chemical reaction anticipating energy from the sweetness, however as they don't have the calories or "energy" to match the body then sends signals out to consume to get that energy
    I agree with this. Have you tried mineral water or soda water.

Sent from my pho....oh who am I kidding. It's rarely used as a phone

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by haveheart View Post
    I'm no expert but fairly certain diet soft drinks are worse than normal ones, I think it has something to do with the phenylalanine content. Not sure about the "zero" versions though.
    Only a problem if you have PKU
    http://www.mayoclinic.org/phenylalan...s/FAQ-20058361

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    Oh wow I had no idea, I thought it was just bad in general! Learn something new every day

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    What pp said plus the caffeine, which is also a diuretic so it will dehydrate you, they are high in phosphate which depletes your calcium stores, it slows your metabolism down plus the colours and additives in them are a whole other thread!

Try sparkling mineral water , the Italian and French ones are the best as they are lower in salt, add a squeeze of lemon juice if you need more flavour

Thanks
    Reviews
    Damn - I kind of knew they can't be good. I do mix soda water with pure OJ too - but I guess I was trying to take the easy way out with the diet soft drinks. Thanks for a ll the input. I think I had better just get myself in the habbit of drinking more water!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post

That was an interesting read, thanks.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Star Light For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (11-01-2014)