+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default New to Sutherland Shire ...

Hi all, just after some opinions on High School options for my boys. We are new to the Shire and we fall into the catchment for Gymea Technology High. I don't know much about the schools and am also considering St Pats or Port Hacking High. Can anyone give me some advice or opinions on which school will better provide my boys with a well rounded education. They are very much into sport - academic performance is not the most important thing but nor do we want them falling behind.

basically if they turn out to be polite, well rounded young men I will be happy

Or are there other schools I should be considering?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Gymea has a great tech program but have just been told some of the kids are a bit ratty. Haven't heard much else about it though and don't see much of the kids around as I don't go past that way much.

Kirrawee is supposed to be awesome. Very musical/drama as well. Hard to get into out of area I think.

Port Hacking has started to turn very ratty. It's also massively large.

Sylvania- pretty ratty.

Woolooware- has had an awesome reputation for years, very academic and altogether well rounded, however this has meant it's hard to get into out of area.
    But- it is also very very large, and has a new principal who sucks. So time will tell how it goes with her.

Cronulla- used to have a terrible rep. Got a new principal about 8 years ago who is absolutely awesome. Cleaned the school up. Is now a great well rounded school, scores very well in the HSC. Insists on good behaviour. About 700 kids, principal says he wants to keep it that way.

Endeavour- don't even think about it. Although it is a sports school. But it is very very ratty- very! and they focus so much on sport that academics is just thrown in very half-heartedly to meet syllabus requirements (have been told this by teachers there).

There is also De La Salle Caringbah which is 7-10 boys only, Catholic. Supposed to be pretty good. OLMC (the girls school) is great.

Don't know anything about St Pats to tell you.

My son is sitting for Caringbah high (we are zoned for Endeavour ). If he doesn't get in there (it's very competitive) I am tossing up between Woolooware and Cronulla. Probably Cronulla.

When do you need to decide? Are they going into high school this year? If not I was going to say that the open nights are usually coming up in March I think.

Good luck with your decision.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Welcome to the Sutherland Shire Are your boys at highschool age now and looking to start next week or are you considering for the future?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks so much for your insights! DS1 will be going to high school in 2015 so I will have to decide pretty soon!

Is is it difficult to get into out of zone schools, he has average school marks but is above average in Science and PE. The boys are both Catholic so De La Salle is also an option which I hadn't thought about!

Its so hard to know what's best for them - kids that he is in Primary School with this year will all be going to Jannali High but from what I have heard (from some teachers I know that work locally) that school is not going to be what I am after!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi again, if DS1 is Catholic, without hesitation, I would suggest St Pats- notoriously difficult to get into though unless you are in a feeder school eg: St joeys at Oyster Bay or St Cath at Gymea- even siblings of existing students can miss out. It is a great school- I am not Catholic, but my mum taught there for her entire career and they are great all around- academic, sport etc. I would ring them immediately and try to start the process of what you can do to try and get in there. Perhaps tell them you are new to the area and ask what paperwork you can get in order to assist your application. Next, I would suggest Kirrawee- again, very hard to get in out of area because they have a huge feeder catchment- if in Kareela, Oyster Bay you may have a slim chance, but again, I would suggest making inquiries right away. I would also consider DeLa- a bit of travel, but a good school. Gymea v Jannali High- just my personal experience of course, but I know of parents currently trying to transfer from Gymea to Jannali- have not discussed reasons, but that is what I have heard. Jannali has come on well and has a good catchment area, so only from what I have heard, I would probably favour Jannali over Gymea. I don't know a lot about Port Hacking, so can't comment on that. All in all though, I think all the schools would be okay, but there are a few great standouts. Listening to teachers' recommendations is always a good idea too!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the info. Sounds like St Pats or De La Salle are probably our first options and then maybe Kirrawee?

I guess there are "undesirables" at every school and my DS1 is a good kid and unlikely to get involved with that type - however DS2 is another story

DD will be starting primary school in 2 years . My boys are in a public school now but have previously been in Catholic schools and tbh I am finding the class sizes of public schools lovely compared with the 30+ they had in their previous schools ( DS1 is at his 4th school - we move a lot for DH's work) so I am leaning towards public education for DD for primary years but it seems that she will then miss out on St Pats etc!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Welcome to the shre!!! I second st pats... I have done my homework and heard good things about it. That is where I will be enrollinh my DS... Although in kindergarten.

Didn't know it would be so hard... Will look into it soon.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    If you wanted private I have a few friends with kids at Inaburra ( Menai) and it's a great school , you can get a bus from Sutherland station and its kindy to year 12

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes, 2blueandapink, it is a tough decision about which kindy/primary to use (Govt v Cath) as the public primaries are EXCELLENT, small classes and often smaller schools in general, however, if you don't start at Catholic primary, it can hamper your access to the Cath high school. Def get on the phone to St Pats High school soon and hopefully there is a chance for you. Good luck with your decision. xx