+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Is this acceptable?

I have started my own business and employed a casual staffer. I have recently sent them an email to ask them their opinion on their roster/working times for this year and I didn't hear back.

So I sent her a text after a couple of days just to remind her to check her email and she responded that she has been busy with her other job and that she's get around to tonight, but I haven't heard back.

I am really put out by that. not sure if I'm overreacting though. What do you guys think? Is that okay?

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Has she been on the clock with you since you sent the email? If not then yeah i think it's unreasonable to expect contact on her personal time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    If she wanted the work she would check her email
    Go with your gut and hire someone who wAnts the job

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to october For This Useful Post:

Acadaca  (11-01-2014),Meld85  (11-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I would be pretty annoyed if my boss was sending me work related emails to my personal email and expecting me to reply to them in my own time and then harassing me via text message about replying to said email.

If you were desperate for an answer then call her at a reasonable hour and apologize profusely for calling her at home.

Or you'll just have to wait until she does her next shift for you.

If she's got another job and this is just casual work for pocket money for her, then you harassing her outside of work hours will just make her quit.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Acadaca I agree with fearlessleader. Sounds like you are going a little overboard here.

You shouldn't expect people to work for you on their personal time - yes looking at email about work related issue is working

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I think if this was regarding the following fortnight's shifts I could understand more than you needed her to respond. But since it's availability for the whole year there is plenty of time for her to get back to you.

If you are only giving her a few hours and she is working elsewhere she has probably been busy. I'm sure she'll get back to you. Just ask her next time she works a shift?

Thanks
    Reviews
    If I was in your position I would feel somewhat disheartened that she hadn't responded.....

In reality you could have just set up the roster and put her in a 'take it or leave it' position. I suppose that you feel as if you were being a better employer by giving her a say!

Some people are not good with checking e-mails. Maybe it would have been more appropriate to just call her and discuss your ideas over the phone?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to CountryLovin For This Useful Post:

Acadaca  (11-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I think in a small business with a new employee, you would expect some enthusiasm and flexibility from her, so I can see why you are concerned.

11. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MsMummy For This Useful Post:

Acadaca  (11-01-2014),BH-KatiesMum  (11-01-2014),october  (11-01-2014),ourbradybunch  (11-01-2014),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (11-01-2014),sweetsugardumplin'  (10-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for your responses guys. I'm new at this so just wanted some opinions. She doesn't know when her next shift is and that is what the email was about. We're a small consulting company and I'm booking appointments that I need to know if she'll be able to attend. It's not 'working' its negotiating flexible work hours in my opinion. I don't want my business to suffer if she's unable to do the shifts. Was trying to do the right thing. I think I'll call in future, as pp have suggested. I don't really see the difference between email and phone in your own time though...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Perhaps a discussion about what your expectations are of the role is needed when she next works?

I would making the phone call short and to the point, simply ask are you available to work these days/times.

FWIW in my job any work-related emails to go to my work email address and they only time my bosses have ever called me at home is to ask if I can come in early or swap a shift (usually they email about shift swaps unless its for the next few days and is urgent) and those phone calls always start off with "sorry to call you at home, but....".