+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Why was your bub a prem?

I have had multiple hosp apps and feeling confused and lost.

Getting told wait until ob gets back. My platelets keep dropping and everything else iron d, etc and I have epilepsy. Having 5plus seizures a day. Trouble urinating as much as I should but fill in ob didn't look ibto that.

He said you migjrq deliver early we will see what ob says when she gets back. (Tues)

Thanks

Sent from my GT-I9195T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Subbing - I'll come back in a little while to add.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Sorry to hear you aren't having an easy time right now :-( Being almost 32 weeks is quite good in terms of how your baby may copy if born so soon. 32-34 weeks is the stage where they may be able to bypass level 3 nursery and only require level 2. Having said that though, it still isn't easy.

My DD was born prem due to placental abruption at 25+4. Thankfully I was in the hospital on day 6 of bed rest at the time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Okay, I'm back.

In short, DS was delivered at 31+2 (emergency c-section) because he was showing signs of not growing and thriving in the womb. His chances of survival were deemed better out than in.

I'd been in hospital on bed rest for 2 1/2 weeks with close monitoring before this decision was made.

Complications I had were:

- Low papp-A, picked up at 12 week bloods, indicating possible problems with my placenta.
    - High blood pressure, which worsened significantly as the pregnancy progressed.
    - Massive bleed at 28 weeks (it was from this point I was admitted to hospital until DS was delivered).
    - Every time DS was monitored via CTG, his heart rate didn't show the accellerations the midwifes see in a regular healthy baby. His heart rate dropped right down a few times on the days leading up to his delivery.

Thankfully my DS was born healthy, breathing on his own, but quite small. He stayed in hospital 5 1/2 weeks before being able to come home.

OP, I'm sorry you're having such a hard time. You must be very keen to see your Ob.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

KaraB  (17-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Does it make life long complications this young? I have a 9 month old im really stressed out if I don't get bring bub home. Im booking dd into cc two days a week to help.

Could you bf at all or straight to ff through tubes.

Thanks girls

7. The Following User Says Thank You to monnie24 For This Useful Post:

KaraB  (17-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by monnie24 View Post
    Does it make life long complications this young? I have a 9 month old im really stressed out if I don't get bring bub home. Im booking dd into cc two days a week to help.

Thanks girls

Depends on what gestation your baby ends up being delivered as to whether or not they are ready to be breast/bottle fed.

DS wasn't able to bf for the first few weeks, he was tube fed my EBM. Each day we'd pop him on my breast until he finally got the hang of it.

Each week in the womb makes a big difference. Whilst DS was in special care I saw quite a few babies come and go. Some of the 34/35 weekers got to go home after just a few days as they were able to handle suck feeds.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

KaraB  (17-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Degrassi View Post
    Each week in the womb makes a big difference. Whilst DS was in special care I saw quite a few babies come and go. Some of the 34/35 weekers got to go home after just a few days as they were able to handle suck feeds.
    All are different my dd2 was born at 35weeks but was still in the SCN for almost 2 weeks as was having trouble feeding and had jaundice (which she needed treatment for and the jaundice also made her quite sleepy). She had to be fed most of her feeds by an NG tube (all her tube feeds were with EBM) but she slowly increased her suck feeds, sometimes she'd have a really good day with mostly breast feeds, but then would get too tried at night to take a bottle for the nurses and would have to be tube fed, so it was a bit 2 steps forward and then 1 step back for a while. Once she had been taking all suck feeds for 48 hours then we had to room in for another 24 hours and she also had to be back above her birth weight before they were happy to let us go home. It's tough for the parents having to leave their little ones in the hospital and not being able to bring them home straight away. I found it very tough but was very thankful that it was only for a couple of weeks, there were a lot of other parents in their at the time who were doing it much tougher and their babies had been in there for a lot longer/ still had a long road ahead before they were able to bring their little ones home. Hoping your little one is able to stay put for as long and safely as possible for you & bub.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Last edited by atomicmama; 02-01-2015 at 21:59.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by monnie24 View Post

Thanks girls

My DD never had formula through the 3.5 months in the nursery, I expressed for her so she had EBM. But, she was tube fed exclusively for 2-2.5 months with BF and bottle fed EBM introduced gradually over the next 4-6 weeks.

Even if you are able to direct BF when you baby is born, if you are discharged before them, then you will inevitably have to have them bottle fed over night or the other times you can't be there.

My DD's NICU neighbour was a little boy who stayed nearly 3 months, his mum had three other children and it was tough, but you just deal with the hand you get given and just bear in mind it's only for the short term, and your DD won't remember it when she is older.

As a rule of thumb, very early prems will be expected to stay until their due date, but as PP said, some prems born around 34 weeks sometimes only need very short stays if they need no breathing assistance and are strong enough to suck feed. It's a case by case basis.

With regards to your first question - do you mean disabilities?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by GM01 View Post
    My DD never had formula through the 3.5 months in the nursery, I expressed for her so she had EBM. But, she was tube fed exclusively for 2-2.5 months with BF and bottle fed EBM introduced gradually over the next 4-6 weeks.

Even if you are able to direct BF when you baby is born, if you are discharged before them, then you will inevitably have to have them bottle fed over night or the other times you can't be there.

My DD's NICU neighbour was a little boy who stayed nearly 3 months, his mum had three other children and it was tough, but you just deal with the hand you get given and just bear in mind it's only for the short term, and your DD won't remember it when she is older.

As a rule of thumb, very early prems will be expected to stay until their due date, but as PP said, some prems born around 34 weeks sometimes only need very short stays if they need no breathing assistance and are strong enough to suck feed. It's a case by case basis.

With regards to your first question - do you mean disabilities?
    No I mean allergies etc not disabilities I often read on hub corrected age xyz is this important with milestones etc sorry if im not making sense.

Back in hosp as of last night. Im at a priv hosp for preg and fill in ob said 'I canr deal with you I cant find neurologist who is on call' ummm wtf!!! I have had over 100 seizures. My file says preg doesnt agree with me.

Ive put dd into childcare 2x week starting tues. I called yesterday they wede very flex. Just waiting to see wwhat neuro says