+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Ride your damn pushbike in the same direction as traffic!

So I nearly ran my car into an old chap this morning. I'm talking a quarter of a second from colliding with this guy. I was quite shaken

I was turning left out of a service station on a busy road. I look to the right and there was no traffic coming. I accellerate to turn and suddenly there is an old guy on a pushbike riding immediately in front of my car. He was riding against the traffic, meaning anyone turning out of a driveway isn't going to check for traffic coming from the left when they are turning left.

This old bloke didn't bat an eyelid and was oblivious to the fact that he almost got mowed down by a car! Meanwhile I was gobsmacked that I almost smashed into him.

THIS, is why you should ALWAYS ride in the same direction as the traffic, not against it. I'm sure there are people who just don't get it.

Riding a bike on the road is dangerous enough as it is - don't make it more unsafe by riding on the wrong side of the road

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (10-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    What an idiot. I hope you aren't too shaken.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    I hope your ok.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Yeah, I'm fine now thanks

It's always a bit of a shock when you have a close call.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a run in with a bike too >.<
    He was going with the flow of traffic which was good, but he was on the footpath at this particular intersection, not the road. So when he went to cross the street I was coming out of, he didn't look for traffic at all. I slowed to a crawl due to the give way sign, but because he was on pavement, not road, he was in my 'slow down area' if that's led sense. Once I saw him I slammed on the brakes, and he stopped so fast he fell forwards off his bike lol 8-|
    He apologised profusely, but scared the bajeezus out of me! Fx he thinks twice next time!!