+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default C section vs Vbac - which is riskier?

Theres so much info online and when i spoke to my dr she was happy for me to try for a vbac.

Im so confused as to which is safer.....i would really like to try for a vbac but im a bit worried after some stuff ive read online about more complication with vbacs as opposed to repeat scheduled c sections.

Can anyone share some advice / experiences.? Im thinking if i go overdue and am likely to be induced ill def go for a section.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm planning on trying for a vbac. It all depends on your history. For me I went to full dilation and went in for an emergency ceaser due to my sons heart rate going through the roof. I've only just recently found out it was due to him being acynclitic. (head toward the shoulder)

The only real risk that I'm am aware of is uterine rupture which they closely monitor.

I'd rather give my best attempt at a natural birth before elective ceaser.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to nicole49 For This Useful Post:

SoThisIsLove  (09-01-2014)

Eco Goddess is offline Loving life under the Bodhi tree!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Perhaps check with your hospital about programs they offer. I went through a vbac clinic and we had some discussion sessions as a group of women early on about the risks of both as a way of helping us decide what we would prefer. I felt so much better after that. The research we were showed made me feel comfortable that there was no greater risk by trying for a vbac.

My experience - I had an emergency c sect with a posterior bub, 24hr labour, heart rate probes etc... 2nd time around I was induced at 38weeks due to pre eclampsia and 4 hours later my bub arrived safely without a c-sect! I had no complications at all and felt awesome that I was able to get the birth I had so desperately wanted the first time around

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I had a csec with my first as bub was breech. With my second the doc explained all the risks to me. Vbac is safe as long as you don't go setting the woman up for failure (chemical induction, expecting the woman to labor while strapped to a bed with monitors etc).

Theophania is offline 'see what had happened was..there were these three ninjas and a blue monkey and well it really wasn't my fault..'
    Thanks
    Reviews
    When I was trying to make this decision for myself I came to the conclusion that with everything I read etc VBAC is safer and carries less risk than a repeat caesarean. I was very passionate about having a natural birth for my second bub (who was born 16 months after my emergency caesarean) and I had bit of a had time with the hospital. I seem to be someone that needs to bake their baby over the 40 week mark, and I have larger babies but my daughter arrived just before 42 weeks large and healthy and safely My suggestion is always to get a doula, it helped me so much.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Vaginal is always safer than major abdominal surgery for both mum and bub. That said , fighting for my vbac that I will hopefully get in 2 weeks has nearly killed me so maybe that's where the risk lies lol.

Google 'Towards Normal Birth'- head midwife at my hospital said this is the policy everyone is now meant to be following- gettings drs and obs on board has been a nightmare though so change is slooooow.

Vbac is supposed to be considered as safe as a first labour, but there is alot of as$ covering and scare tactics thrown around to freak us out.

Good luck with the decision, it isn't an easy choice or journey