+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Night weaning - need urgent advice

Hi everyone!

I started night weaning my 22 month old last night. I told her that mummy's "nummies" are sick and that she has to have milk before she goes to sleep. To my surprise she was happy to have the milk, then I turned off the light and told her that mummy is going to sleep. (We co-sleep) It took her 40 minutes but she fell asleep on her own + without crying. I couldn't believe it. Well she woke up at 1 am and started crying for the breast. I gave her some water, but this didn't make her happy. She continued crying, so I gave in and let her fall asleep on the breast again. Same happened at 5am in the morning.

Tonight I told her the same story and she had her milk and fell asleep on her own in 30 min.

So my question is when she wakes up again at 1 am, should I maybe offer her some milk from a cup instead of water? Or should I offer water and just comfort her without the breast until she falls asleep?

I'm happy to breastfeed her at 5am for another week or 2.

I would appreciate any advice.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Have you read this? http://drjaygordon.com/attachment/sleeppattern.html

We have just done it with our 15 month old. The first 3 nights I fed him for only 3 mins each wake. His normal pattern was waking 2 hourly all night. Twice now (started Boxing Day) he's slept 10.30-6

DD 05/10
    DS 09/12

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Mezmerized!

thank you for your reply! Yes I tried Dr J Gordon already about 2 months ago. She was crying so much that I gave up quickly. The last 2 nights was the first time that she fell asleep on her own after she had a cup of milk.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh that's no good We were very lucky; he did much better than I expected. Maybe you could try cutting down how long you feed her for each time by a minute every few nights or something? Very gradual. Does she like to sleep attached or comes off okay when she's finished?

DD 05/10
    DS 09/12

Thanks
    Reviews
    She usually stays attached for some time especially in the morning.

You know, I think I should try Dr J Gordon again. Maybe it will be better this time. And he says not to give the bottle in the night, so I think if I start giving her milk at night it won't be a good idea. Thanks again for your reply! And it's great that your little on sleeps through now.

waitsee is offline “While we try to teach our children all about life, our children teach us what life is all about.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    With both of mine, I night weaned at 18 mths, I would tell the was no more milk, all gone and offer their water and encourage them to lay back down with me. They did cry the first time but I didn't give in and after about 2 nights the waking frequently stopped. Each time they did though, same answer, sorry no more milk left, all gone, time for sleep. Consistant and compassion. Good luck

Sent from my GT-P3110 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    The first steps of Dr Jay didn't really work for me, once she was on she didn't want to come off and we would be cryong anyhow. Plus sometimes I'd fall asleep.

We started putting her in her own room which helped. DH and I would take it in turns going in and telling her that no boobies, but lot of cuddles. I just slowly moved that overnight feed later and later. Ie i wouldnt feed until 2am, pushed that back till 3 after a couple of days and so on. She's almost 27 months and has now been nightweaned for a month and we are down to a quick feed before bed

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've just night weaned my 2.3yr old a couple of months ago and I started like this -

1. I taught her to go off to sleep without the boob, I stroked her back until she fell asleep, I did this for over a month, still feeding and falling asleep on the breast during the night, but always putting her to sleep at bedtime without feeding.

2. After I got her used to that routine I then started off by telling her she couldn't have milk that night, they were turned off and that she could have it as soon as the sun came up and she was a bit upset the first night but I just kept cuddling her and tickling her back. She went through about 4 days of waking up and not going back to sleep for an hour once a night so she was upset for that hour but I was with her cuddling her and telling her they were turned off & she could have it as soon as the sun comes up. Then she went for over a month waking at 4-5am when the sun was up and asking for a drink then. She actually slept through some of those nights and nights she did wake she was totally fine with me stroking her back to sleep.

Now 3-4 months after I started she will come into my room some nights and just fall asleep next to me without waking me up & then she only has a drink when we get up and go into the lounge room which is good because she's not waking me up at 4am to drink and our bed is for sleeping again! She has her own room, with her door right next to mine though.

Sorry that was so long!

After her waking and drinking 6 times+ every night for 2 years I was really ready to be sleeping well again!

Good luck xx

9. The Following User Says Thank You to mrswhitehouse For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (10-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh and that first week I had a drink bottle of milk near my bed and her bed and offered that to her when she woke. I put ice bricks around it in a tub so it stayed cool all night.

She also still feeds on demand during the day so it's just the night time that we have stopped bf 😃

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you everyone for your replies.

She woke up at 3 am last night (instead of 1am, not sure if this is an improvement or one off). I offered her water and told her the same story. She started crying. I tried to comfort her but she didn't let me hold or even touch her. After about 20 min of crying I gave her the breast with the intention not to let her fall asleep latched on. I took the breast away after 5 min and she started crying hysterically. So I gave her the breast again for 5 min and took it away. (I know, that's not what Dr J said to do . ) She was very upset. I had to turn the lights on and talk and play with her a little bit. This cheered her up. Then I turned off the lights and told her it's sleep time. She started crying again. This was after about an hour and a half after she first woke up. So I gave her some milk in a bottle and after that she finally went to sleep.

Mrswhitehouse, you said you offered a bottle of milk for about a week. Did she take it? What happened after one week? Did she ask for the bottle?

I'm worried that I'm changing one habit for the other. I want to night wean her badly. I haven't slept properly for ages and I've got real back problems. And I think it will be better for her too. She is a little bit overweight and she eats properly during the day so I don't think she needs the extra feeds at night.