+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Small Baby.....

I'm after a bit of advice and hope I am posting this in the right area.

My second bubs is due April 17th but she seems to be very small and going for 3rd 3D scan within the next two weeks.

Obs recommended a planned C-section around 3rd of April as long as bubs keeps growing. If not might have her early.

She feels very active and is in the 5 - 10th percentile growth wise.

My first bubs was smallish too at 6.6 pounds and he was overdue! (Emergency C-section as he got stuck and very long labour)

Anyone else experience this too and have any complications?

What can I do to prepare for the possibility of a Premmie bub?

TIA

Thanks
    Reviews
    Are you a small person? I'm only 5"1 and bubs was also between the 5th-10th centile at birth (39 weeks) at just 2.86kg. But she was perfectly healthy and is growing fine, her size was just a reflection of me being short! My Ob said she'd have been concerned if I had a bub at the 50th centile cos of my height.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Piyamj For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (11-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My bub was 10th percentile in utero (initially it was 25th but by 32 weeks it was 10th). Fundal height did not match weeks either so I was considered a "high risk" because of this even though I am small. They wanted to keep performing scans weekly after 32 weeks (I did one more at 34 weeks then said no more, $180 a pop) . They considered inducing me from 36 weeks. I endured second daily trips to the hospital (parking was hell min 1kms away and it was a hot summer) for CTGs (they wanted daily I said no).
    Bubs was active in the womb and healthy but small, and not really growing.

She's turned out fine. Just small. I'm small. I don't understand this obsession with size. We are all different sizes.

Sounds like your last one was small (a little bigger than mine and I was overdue too!) so I don't see why this would be any different or cause for concern, especially if bubs is active and they can check with regular CTGs anyway. Good luck
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 09-01-2014 at 16:46.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (11-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ps scans aren't entirely accurate either - my SIL recently had a c section at 38 weeks because they thought her DS was getting too big. Turns out he was only 2.9kg!!!! She was furious!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I kept getting told my 3rd baby was small as well. he was born 4kgs and 59.5cm long. I don't know how they got it that wrong.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies Feeling a bit better now.

I am only 5.3 and hubby around 5.6 so I know smaller bubs would be normal.

I guess their caution is making me nervous not to mention a lot of other stresses going on atm (my side of the family who I have nothing to do with except some siblings just found out about bubs, just bought a house but waiting on lazy lawyers to confirm settlement as 24th Jan, work, scrambling to get study done and look after a toddler plus usual financial stress)

Scan said she is around 600gms at 7months and next scan will be in a couple of weeks so hopefully will be on same level...

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MissEm For This Useful Post:

Piyamj  (10-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Have you had any other pregnancy issues or problems? Have they picked up any issues with your placenta?

You may just be one of those people with a small baby. I was one of those people with a small baby due to complications, so he was delivered at 31+2 weeks (1302 grams).

The best advice I could give to 'prepare' for the possibility of having a premmie would be to have everything as organised as possible at home. Have your pram, car seat, nursery set up etc. If you have a baby in NICU/SCN, you will be spending so much time at the hospital that you'll have no time/energy to be running around organising things.

Also see if you can get your hands on some reading material for mothers/parents of premmie babies. I read a few booklets when I was in hospital before I had DS and it did help prepare me (at that stage I had no clue just how early DS would have to be delivered).

A tour of NICU was also helpful.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Not this time around, hardly any morning sickness, felt her moving very early and she is a wriggler and feels strong!

Lots of fluid and placenta looks fine.

Thanks
    Reviews
    At our 28 week appt with ob they scnned me and realised bub had gone fom 25th percntilenat 20 werks to 10th. I then was sent for fortnightly scans untiln37 weeks and weekly ctg. I was induced at 39 weeks at obs recommndation as they figured she was jusr little but tht there was alwys the chance my placenta was/could be slowly failing. At my last scan ger head circ was 50th percntile, but femur length and abdo were 5% and 8% respectively so estimated weight was about 2.7kg. She was born at 39 weeks at 2.789kg and perfectly healthy just a little small.

I was a litke freaked when on meaurements her humerus lenghs werenlike 5mm at 36 weeks at 2% and kept picturing a ljttke t-rex baby but she didnt look short armed at all.

Try not to stress too much, an induction cpuld maybe be an option to ask about if you arent surr about a caeser. One ob in thbpractice reckoned induction at 39 qeeks cpukd only happen if my cervix was favourable but when insaw the other one she boojed me in wihout checking me and my induction was successful :-)

Sent from my GT-P5110 using The Bub Hub mobile app