+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    MrJones&Me is offline sometimes as useless as the 'ueue' in queue
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Wedding gift registries... Wdyt?

Just thinking (writing, typing?!) Out loud here... And I want honest opinions.

DF & I have been together years, so we don't need much really.

As a guest, what would you prefer:

In your invite given an anonymous envelope to be placed in a wishing well (takes the stress off having to give a certain amount)

Or

A gift registry where everything on it works be under $50, and you have a choice, it won't be compulsory etc.

Be honest, I would actually prefer gifts, but I have very plan taste when it comes to my house items, and ny family..... Not so much

Thanks in advance

Thanks
    Reviews
    Can you do both? I love the fact that you have a cheaper registry.

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    Envelopes.

A) as a bride if I didn't trust everyone to consider my taste it would be less wasteful

B) as a guest I wouldn't be stressed about trying to get something great, going to 5 different shops to find it, gift wrapping it nicely, etc. money is easy and I trust that it would be put to good use ie pay off wedding or honeymoon etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thought of doing neither ? We didn't have anything, then if people asked we said as we'd love a donation towards our belated honeymoon, or whatever they felt like giving us...we ended up getting donations from about 70 percent of guests and got presents from a few more traditional people who preferred to give a gift...people commented how nice it was not being told they had to give cash, or uy a specific thing from a registry...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    This is just an idea, but my sister and her husband lived together before getting married, so they had most things already. What they did was a little bit different but I liked it... They booked their honeymoon with a local travel agent and gave people the option, if they chose to, guests could go into the travel agent and pay some money off the honeymoon or bring a gift if they wanted to.

I put some money on the honeymoon and bought them some bedside lamps that matched their bedroom decor.

They got a mixture of both, there were quite a few presents on the present table as well as quite a bit of money was contributed to the honeymoon.

Have you considered that?

Also if your gift registry items are under $50, I'm not sure what I'd do with that. I tend to think $150 per couple is about right for a wedding, so I'd feel like I had to get you 3 items from your registry if both myself and dh were attending your wedding.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Envelope. If you have been together for a while then I would think as a guest that you could use the money towards something nice you didn't think you would have the funds for on your honeymoon. Perhaps to put away towards something you pick out together when you do need something or to help pay off a few pop up items that got chucked on the credit cards as we all know weddings just aren't cheap!

I would do both ideas though. We did a wishing well & a honeymoon registry but we still got 'traditional' gifts. I think if you at least have a registry with gifts you would like it may help illuminate the random purchase of things you may already have.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I would do registry. .. but you could include a note that says it's not compulsory and feel free to do whatever you like.
    We had a registry. .. because people kept asking what we would like. . and we had friends and family also spread the word that we didn't mind about the registry and gifts etc.
    People can do gifts or money and your guests have a choice.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    We had a registry through our travel agent to contribute to our honeymoon.

We didn't want/expect anything at all, but people kept asking us what they should buy us so in the end that's what we did.

In answer to the OP's question - if there is a lot of homey stuff you need then have a registry, & just have a broad range of priced options on it. As a PP said, there will be ppl who want to spend $100-$200, so have a couple of more expensive things, & the rest at around the $50 mark like you said.

People going to weddings want to give a gift of some sort, so why not get something you want!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think the envelope, as long as it is expressed as "we don't expect anything, but if you would still like to give us something, we would appreciate a contribution to honeymoon/renovations/whatever".

I always appreciate it when the couple express it like that, rather than "give us money" or "here's the registry details". It feels presumptuous to me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We did a gift registry, because lots of people prefer to bring an actual gift rather than money in an envelope, but no one ever knows what you need/want. We made sure that we had a big range of different priced things ($4- $200) so there was something that everyone could afford, and they could buy more than one thing if they wanted to.
    A couple of people wanted to just give us money, and that was fine too, but it was their choice and there was no pressure on the amount people spent.
    Last edited by TaylorMade; 09-01-2014 at 13:08.