+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/9/2014100 Posts in a week

Default Fiji with young kids (under 3's)

We went to Fiji before kids and had a lovely time. Contemplating a family holiday but know it's all so different when travelling with kids.

Can anyone recommend any kid friendly resorts in Fiji? Our little ones will be 2 and a bit, and almost 1 when we are looking at holidaying.

How did you get from airport to resort? I'm assuming there won't be car seats available. Did you take a lot of food for the kids? Did you take nappies/wipes etc or buy over there?

Any other tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    The Shangri-La Fijian is amazing, and has an awesome kids club.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to callmedragon22 For This Useful Post:

summastarlet  (09-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We've been Fiji a fair few times, both before kids & with the kiddies. Since the kids have been born we've mainly stayed at Denarau (I figured being closer to hospitals, airports etc would be a better idea-just in case). It's also not too far from the airport, so after the flight you don't have too much further to go! DS1 first went when he was 10m, then again just after 2y. DS2 was 2.5m on his first trip there (I have since booked the next trip where they'll be 3.5y & 15m-this time we're going back to the coral coast-first time with the kids).

With such youngsters the resort doesn't really matter as they're a tad too little for water slides (like at the Radisson-unless you constantly slide down with them, and even the kids clubs-unless you hire a nanny), so book whatever you & DH like! Hehe Sheraton villas were nice because we had entrance to the pool straight from our room & wasn't too busy, so the kids could splash about right next to us. I would definitely go with a villa/apartment/bungalow style with the kids, mainly for the kitchen & extra room (our next stay is in a beachfront bungalow).

We got private transfers to our resorts, you can arrange a car seat if necessary. We forgot to arrange this & just had the kids seat-belted with us.

I took formula for ds2, however DS1 just ate whatever we were eating-he's really easy with food (next time I won't have to pack anything like that). I also packed all my nappies & baby wipes for bub from here (DS1 was TT). You don't really need to pack that much, we went for 11 days & they're in swimmers/half naked most of the time!

As you can see I could go on & on about Fiji 😄 we love it there! Your kids are going to have a great time!!!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to The Time Has Come For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Any of the resorts down coral coast or in denerau 4 'star plus are great for families, they have kids clubs and nannies avail so you can have a little time alone.
    pre organise private transfers , you can request a infant seat, I think ou have to pay about 10 FJD per seat direct for the seats.
    you can book transfers through a travel agent or online.
    the only thing to consider is the coral coast resorts are about 1.5 hours drive from the airport so maybe. Bit much after a flight....denerau is only half an hour so a lot easier.
    fiji is pretty much the perfect family getaway, I'm sure you'll have an amazing time !

7. The Following User Says Thank You to phoebebebe For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I've been to the Shangri La a few times.

The last time I went I wasn't impressed. We ended up getting gastro from the buffet. All 3 of us including ds1 who was 15m at the time.

It can happen anywhere I do admit it, I guess being school holidays, a full house and lots of unwashed little kids hands didn't help.

Im not sure if I'll go back due to that but I will agree it has a great kids club, friendly staff and great facilities.

My friends recently went to the Radisson at Denarau and loved it. I'll probably try somewhere new next time.

Ps if you get car transfers instead of bus transfers you can get car seats. It is more expensive though, but when your kids are little it's too tough to get them off a plane and have them sit still on a bus again.

The resorts are expensive for staples so you'd be best off bringing your own nappies etc.
    Most people stay in their resorts rather than venture out to Nadi city, so bring your own stuff along.

Fiji is great though. Enjoy.
    Last edited by misho; 09-01-2014 at 11:24.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to misho For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh yes, and we ALWAYS avoid school holidays!! (While we still can!!) hehe

11. The Following User Says Thank You to The Time Has Come For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subbing. We are looking into it too. I am currently thinking denerau due to access to all resort restaurants/ facilities. OP, if you are wanting to use kids club, check the minimum age- some resorts are 2 years, some are 3 of 4 years. But, you can always hire a Nanny for your young one if you want to.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to littleriv For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    We stayed at the Radisson in Denarau with DS when he was 15 months. We loved it!

It's only 20 mins from the airport - we organised a car transfer to pick us up (no car seat).

We had a 1 Bedroom suite, so when he had his day sleeps in the portacot in the bedroom, DP & I could be in the lounge/kitchen area & didn't disturb him. The room had a washing machine in the bathroom, brilliant for travel with toddlers! & the kitchenette had a microwave, large fridge, & a two burner cooktop -- so we ate out for dinner about twice, but all the other dinner we cooked.

We took nappies wipes & almond milk with us (dairy intolerant child) -- there is a supermarket in port Denarau thou that you get to on the shuttle bus, if you want to buy nappies & wipes there.

The Raddison was brilliant - highly recommend it. The buffet breakfast was awesome.

The family pool had a swim up bar, so DP & I still got our cocktails in the pool, & had DS in one of those sit-in floaty rings - he loved it! We took the floaty with us - best thing we packed.

& there is an ankle-deep toddler pool with an octopus water slide thing for little ones - most days we were the only family in that pool. DS loved it.

We didn't use it, but the resort have a babysitting service if you want some adult alone time (I think the kids club starts at age 3).

We had the best time, I would go back there in a heartbeat.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Monkey'sMummy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I should've mentioned - we used the website trip advisor to decide where we booked - it's a great place to go to get recent reviews from real people

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Monkey'sMummy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    We've stayed at the Warwick Fiji (& the Warwick Vanuatu) with our DS (3.5yrs old).
    Our DS was quite happy sitting in the 'baby' pool playing with the few bath type toys I took or swimming/floating with my hubby in the ocean/beach.

For transfers we went private & pre-organised a car seat for him for a small added fee especial since it's about an 1hr30min drive from airport/hotel in Fiji

They have kid activities for older children & a babysitting service but we didn't use either so can't comment on good/bad.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Bumblebeez00 For This Useful Post: