Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Funniest Caption

Default How to Train your Rabbit

We have a new addition to our family!

Bunny.jpg

We are so in love with him he is just over 2 months old.

My question is:

I was told you can toilet train rabbits.... how??? I have no idea where to start but i really really want to try so he can hop about without me chasing him around with a dust pan and broom!

Any advice about this and anything else that will make him happy would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
    Reviews
    very easy to toilet train. Wait for him to poop and put it in the kitty litter tray and show him. Thats all it took me. make sure to completely clean any messes so he cant smell it anywhere else

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AngelicHobgoblin For This Useful Post:

bpac  (09-01-2014),Maia  (09-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by AngelicHobgoblin View Post
    very easy to toilet train. Wait for him to poop and put it in the kitty litter tray and show him. Thats all it took me. make sure to completely clean any messes so he cant smell it anywhere else
    Yep just like this, he should choose a spot and then you just put the tray there. Once he starts using it all the time you can begin moving it away. We put his first few into the clean tray so he had the scent to guide him too. Rabbits are naturally clean animals so should do it in just one spot. DO NOT use clumping kitty litter as rabbits eat their droppings.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Maia For This Useful Post:

AngelicHobgoblin  (09-01-2014),bpac  (09-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Funniest Caption
    Thank you! Any hints for not chewing cords etc?

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Oh he is gorgeous!!

Our bunny litter trained herself. Pretty much we just did the same as above.. That didn't really work though, she chose a different spot (a corner of her hutch) and so I put her litter tray in that spot and that was it! So keep an eye out for where he is choosing to poop.

Rubbing lemon juice on cords could work. It initially deterred our bunny but now she does try to chew cords, but only white ones, haha. We just try to keep them out of reach.

Good luck, enjoy. Bunnies are fantastic pets!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to rainbow road For This Useful Post:

bpac  (10-01-2014)

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Do you have carpet? If not, try putting bunny down on a picnic mat for play time sometimes - it gives them traction to do the bunny dance - where they run around like crazy and jump and twist in the air. It's how bunnies express their happiness.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to rainbow road For This Useful Post:

bpac  (10-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Our bun had a tooth accident early on which led to malocculsion (sp?) Making cord chewing almost impossible before he had his incisor surgery which made it completely impossible.

Before then we hid most cords behind furniture and only let him out when he could be watched. All that said, he has never really been interested in cord eating.

If you can get him an unpeeled Willow ball to chew on, my bun would go nuts for his.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Maia For This Useful Post:

bpac  (10-01-2014)