+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Allymumtobe is offline Winner 2012 - Most Optimistic Poster
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vicb77 View Post
    @Kooglekat and @Allymumtobe I would really like to talk to you both (via e-mail) as long as it isn't too upsetting or difficult for either of you? I'd just prefer to get the next couple of days out of the way first. One question I do have and I totally understand if you don't want to discuss this on a public forum is how long did your induction take to progress? I am so scared nothing is going to happen again tomorrow and I just don't know how long I can stand being in this in-between state for.
    I started the oral tablets shaped like fifty cent pieces every 4 hours on Thursday night barley had a contraction till Friday night and even then they were mild irregular. I could only tell by my tummy tightening.

My waters broke Saturday morning around 7am and my contractions were like period cramps nothing I couldn't handle knowing they would subside. By lunch I was only two cm and by 4 they decided induction wasn't working and told me I would need an epidural and the stronger iv drugs the next morning. And stopped the induction pills

However by 9:30pm my contractions were a lot more painful but still irregular I tried to sleep but the contractions were getting stronger at 11:36 I told my husband to call the midwives I wanted a break from the pain I wasn't going to labour all night like that if I wasn't progressing only to feel angus pop through my cervix and he was born after 5 minutes of pushes because he was only as big as a 25 weeker in the head and much skinnier born 11:56.

I was lucky that up until the last short part of labour I did not have very much pain. My mum rubbing my back was enough to relieve the pain.

I think the pain was manageable because it gave me something to focus on rather than my son having passed away.

Any specifics you want to know ask away I'm an open book. I like to share I feel using my story to help other mums might be the only good thing that came of the situation.

Angus 4~6~13, loved - wanted - missed

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Allymumtobe For This Useful Post:

ArthurDent  (12-01-2014),KaraB  (14-01-2014),vicb77  (14-01-2014),wktz  (12-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    @Kooglekat and @Allymumtobe I would really like to talk to you both (via e-mail) as long as it isn't too upsetting or difficult for either of you? I'd just prefer to get the next couple of days out of the way first. One question I do have and I totally understand if you don't want to discuss this on a public forum is how long did your induction take to progress? I am so scared nothing is going to happen again tomorrow and I just don't know how long I can stand being in this in-between state for.
    No problems, anything to help you out through this.

I was given an oral medication 2 days before my induction, mifepristone, which is a progesterone inhibitor from memory.

When I was admitted to hospital I was given prostaglandin vaginally every few hours. (The hospital was doing a study at the time to see if giving the medication internally worked better than taking it orally.) apparently the uterus doesn't respond to oxytocin at the stage of pregnancy I was (22 weeks)

It started to work after the second dose, the first 6 hours or so it was just constant period type cramps that kept intensifying. I didn't get contractions until the last few hours.

It took 13 hours from the start of medications. The worst part for me was that the prostaglandin made me very feverish and nauseous. Panadol helped a bit. I also had morphine injections and used heat packs.

The waiting and the decision making was the worst for us I think. I hope things progress quickly for you from here. Huge hugs to you xxx

Have you got a husband/partner/ family member that will be with you?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ArthurDent For This Useful Post:

vicb77  (14-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    My induction took about 24 hours from when my first dose was given until she was born. My first dose would have been given around 5pm, she was born at 5.10 the next day.

I was given a pill they inserted in my cervix about every 4-6 hours (although sometimes longer if a dr wasn't available, fairly certain the pill you and others were given orally was what was inserted in my cervix). It took four doses and my water broke about 15 mins after my fourth dose and I was able to push after that. You don't have to fully dilate when the baby is only 20 weeks, I was probably only about 5cm.

After the first dose nothing happened, maybe some mild period pain but nothing I needed pain relief for. The second dose brought on some really strong contractions and I started to get really upset and panic. I was given some gas to try to calm my breathing down and eventually a PCA (patient controlled analgesia--a morphine drip you press a button for when you need it) eventually the pain relief worked, I calmed down and they gave me a sleeping pill to try to get me to rest.

The next day was just a lot of sitting around as everything either paused for a while or the PCA was working. They tried to encourage me to go for a walk but I never wanted to leave the room, you could hear other women in their rooms and I was self conscious that people were staring at me (why is that girl here, sometimes having contractions when she doesn't seem to have a bump?). We laid together and cried a lot or watched DVDs on our laptop.

The third dose got things going again and my contractions really started an hour or so into it, eventually the PCA stopped helping and I asked for an epidural. That took ages as the anaethestist was busy with other patients. They gave me the fourth dose and began to prep me for the epidural when my waters broke and I started pushing.

She was born after a few pushes. The midwife decided it would be less upsetting for us if she wrapped her before we held her, this was because since she had died in-utero her little body wasn't in the best shape. When you decide to leave the hospital it will be really hard.

I really think loosing your baby is the hardest thing you can go through. The emotional pain is going to be really intense the first few weeks but it does slowly get easier. I wouldn't say you get over it, but you learn to live with it and not let it dominate your day. I'm fairly certain that a minute doesn't go by that I don't think about her, even a year later. But it's not always painful when I think about her, I really try to be grateful that we even got to have her, that she existed---because the love is so intense and it can still be a nice feeling, just knowing you get to love them.
    Last edited by HollyGolightly81; 12-01-2014 at 20:05.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

vicb77  (14-01-2014)

LifeInShadesOfGrey is offline Just a little bit silly :)
    Winner 2012 - Best Username
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I am so sorry to hear you are going through this xx

8. The Following User Says Thank You to LifeInShadesOfGrey For This Useful Post:

vicb77  (14-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thankyou so much to the amazing hubbers sharing their experiences with the OP. I'm sure it's a huge help.

I'm so very sorry you have to go through this. Huge hugs.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to grumpybump For This Useful Post:

Chippa  (13-01-2014),vicb77  (14-01-2014),VicPark  (14-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    So very, very sorry for your loss.

I agree such amazingly brave women sharing their story. Hope it goes as well as it can.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Clementine Grace For This Useful Post:

vicb77  (14-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hope things are progressing @vicb77. I've been thinking of you and your family xx

14. The Following User Says Thank You to ArthurDent For This Useful Post:

vicb77  (14-01-2014)

Allymumtobe is offline Winner 2012 - Most Optimistic Poster
    Thanks
    Reviews
    So much love for you and your family as you go through this xox

Angus 4~6~13, loved - wanted - missed

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Allymumtobe For This Useful Post:

KaraB  (14-01-2014),vicb77  (14-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you @Allymumtobe and @Kooglekat for sharing your experiences, they definitely helped me get some perspective and I know it wouldn't have been easy for either of you to re-count them. Just back from the hospital again now and unfortunately things still didn't progress as they should with the induction. Very sore and tired but optimistic that the new drugs will work when I go back tomorrow. My husband has been amazing and so supportive throughout this whole situation despite the grief he himself is suffering. I will let you know how I go tomorrow and be in touch via pm/e-mail once out of the hospital. Thank you so much for keeping me in your thoughts, it really means a lot x x

18. The Following User Says Thank You to vicb77 For This Useful Post:

KaraB  (14-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh my gosh @hollygolightly I have only just read your story too. So sorry I'm in a bit of a daze. Thank you also for sharing, the more I hear the more I realise how varied everyone's experience can be and it helps me not feel so bad that things aren't going as expected (induction wise).
    I'm so sorry for your loss and yes right now i am dreading having to say goodbye and I'm also a little scared that his little body is going to be damaged so have asked for the midwife to wrap him beforehand. Thank you again for sharing your story, it really does help x