+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Hawaii with a toddler

Hi there,

I'm looking for anyone's experience on traveling to Hawaii with a little one. I know NOTHING about Hawaii other than that there are a few different islands.

We will be traveling with 4 adults (my parents, DH and I) and a 19 month old (who is fairly well travelled). Trip time will be 10-14 days.

Have you got any tips for me - which islands are better to go to? What sights are must sees? Any suggestions for places to stay? (We are thinking an apartment with a couple of bedrooms might be the way to go)

Here's a breakdown of my family. Mum, DH and I love to shop. Dad, DH and I love to relax, swim, and snorkel (can you even snorkel in Hawaii?). All of us love to see great sights and explore new places. And the little one is usually just pretty happy to go along with whatever everyone else is doing!

Any advice would be so greatly appreciated!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi
    Hawaii is wonderful. We went there when DS was 7 months old and it was lovely. We only stayed in Honolulu but we rented a car (with a baby seat) for a couple of days to drive around the island too. It's such a friendly place and culture us very family oriented. We had a hotel room, but an apartment would've been better because once baby was asleep we couldn't really do much in case we woke him. There's a big shopping mall called the Ala Moana Centre in Honolulu which I found really good and I don't even like to shop. There's also an outlet mall a bit further out but they have special buses to go there. There's a zoo (we didn't go) and an aquarium (we did go). The beaches are lovely. We had a really beautiful holiday there. We wanted to travel to the other islands but it was our first time travelling with a baby so we thought we'd just stick to Oahu, but I hear the other islands are beautiful.

ETA Oh I forgot to mention we visited Pearl Harbour, which I didn't think would be as interesting as it was.
    Last edited by Electric Boogaloo; 08-01-2014 at 19:59.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hawaii is fantastic, definitely a great place for a family holiday! The infrastructure is great in downtown Waikiki and there is a lot to see and do. I imagine it would be easy to get around with a little one, most places are very family friendly.

If you want shopping, then you definitely have to stay in/near downtown Waikiki- the strip has heaps of shopping options from chain stores to the upmarket designer brands. You must also check out the Alana Moana centre- it is a fantastic shopping centre, just up the road from the main strip, either a brisk 20 minute walk or a 5 minute trolley (like an open bus) ride.

There is also the Waikele centre which is an outlet mall- haven't been here but will be checking it out on our next trip.

The Nordstrom Rack outlet is also amazing. Nordstrom is an upmarket department store, so the outlet provides some amazing bargains. I went nuts here when we were there last time!

If you want to go snorkelling, it won't be possible right off Waikiki but there are a few options on the island of Oahu which are driving or tour bus distance from Waikiki.

The other islands also have tonnes of snorkeling options. My hubby and I honeymooned on the "big island" of Hawaii and stayed at the Mauna Kea resort, which is exxy but has a fantastic snorkeling reef right off the resort coast.

If you don't wish to dart from island to island, stay on Oahu and split your time between the North Shore and Waikiki- this is what my husband and I are doing on our 2nd trip to beautiful Hawaii in February '14, there are quite a few famous snorkeling reefs on the island of Oahu.

Hawaii is a beautiful destination with extremely friendly locals, a fantastic service culture and endless gorgeous beaches and activities to try.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Ditto!

Best holiday ever!
    Flight times are great, huge vaiety of accommodation.

I went a few months ago and want to go again this year!

Sent from my GT-P3110 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks so much for your feedback!

Sounds like Oahu might be a good starting point for us. I'm so excited about looking into all the things to see and do!!