+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ellies Mum View Post
    Do they learn from it? DD is not a good eater at the best of times and I am trying to improve things a little
    They know that they don't get a second or third choice. Doesn't faze me if they don't eat dinner or eat a little. Both my kids are BLW so I've always encouraged them to only eat how much they NEED to. So yes there are days they eat more than others.

Sent from my HTC One SV using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/9/2014100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia View Post
    They know that they don't get a second or third choice. Doesn't faze me if they don't eat dinner or eat a little. Both my kids are BLW so I've always encouraged them to only eat how much they NEED to. So yes there are days they eat more than others.

Sent from my HTC One SV using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Agree with this. My Ds1 (just turned 2) grazes all day long. By the time he gets to dinner sometimes he eats a little and other nights a lot. He definitely eats more and is more willing to try everything when we all sit down together. It's hard some evenings especially when my hubby is away but I do try to sit and eat with him.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My 2 and a half year old was refusing his dinner since he was 18 months. I would just let him go to bed hungry. It didn't resolve anything. We then decided If he refused We would start taking him to his room for 5 minutes and bringing him back out. We do 123 magic and if he doesn't eat I ask him if he wants to go to his bedroom he says no and then eats his dinner. It solved our dinner issues. It was tough but he knows now that if he doesn't eat his dinner at all he has a bath and then bed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a hard time getting my DD (22mo) to eat anything with lumps in it. DS did BLW, she wouldn't have a bar of it and ate purees for months, way past 1yo. Every time I tried to leave lumps, she wouldn't eat it. I think she didn't like the way the lumpy food felt in her mouth. But I was sick of doing 2 meals, so I just kept giving her lumpy foods and eventually she ate them. Now she eats whatever we do. Does she feed herself?

Keep persevering, give her something she does like, and then something new at every meal. It can take several times of a new food before they will try it. Would she respond to a star chart? It worked for DS when he was 3 and wouldn't eat much veg, but she might be a bit young for it.

I've been told many times that kids won't starve themselves, so don't worry if she doesn't eat much for a few nights. She'll be fine.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by amyd View Post
    Is she teething? .
    I did consider this, but if she is shes been teething for 12 months!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Californication View Post
    Does she feed herself?
    The only thing she feeds herself with is yoghurt and her rice crackers or muesli bars. She is really lazy of late!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Californication View Post
    I had a hard time getting my DD (22mo) to eat anything with lumps in it. DS did BLW, she wouldn't have a bar of it and ate purees for months, way past 1yo. Every time I tried to leave lumps, she wouldn't eat it. I think she didn't like the way the lumpy food felt in her mouth. But I was sick of doing 2 meals, so I just kept giving her lumpy foods and eventually she ate them. Now she eats whatever we do. Does she feed herself?

Keep persevering, give her something she does like, and then something new at every meal. It can take several times of a new food before they will try it. Would she respond to a star chart? It worked for DS when he was 3 and wouldn't eat much veg, but she might be a bit young for it.

I've been told many times that kids won't starve themselves, so don't worry if she doesn't eat much for a few nights. She'll be fine.
    This does make feel like there is still hope yet!! Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would take quite a firm approach. You said she only feeds herself a few things, so I'm guessing you spoon feed her most of the time? If so, she might be using that to get you attention. Toddlers are attention junkies, they'll do whatever it takes and can never get enough!

I would put food in front of her (start with favourite foods) and insist she feeds herself. If she doesn't, food goes away. If she's hungry she'll quickly start eating.

DD is 2 and sometimes refuses dinner or just picks at it. I figure she's not hungry and that's the end of it. If she's hungry she'll eat. I know she eats well during the day and I try to keep a fairly regular schedule for meals. Toddlers can seem to get by on hardly any food some days, totally normal.

If texture seems to e a really big issue for her, take her to the GP or Paed, it could be some sensory issue causing the eating problem.

Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi, my DD is 18 months old, I do find there are periods that she eats a lot, and sometimes just a few bites of food. I used to stress a lot during her not eating much period. There isn't a lot you can do when a child doesn't eat. As long as you limit snacks (DD only get max 2 crackers a day during morning tea or afternoon tea), feed at scheduled time, provide healthy food at each meal then it should be fine. I also find that if we all eat the same food, DD is more interested, and she eats more too if she self feed and we let her choose what she wants to eat (we usually do steamed mixed vegetable, a meat dish and rice). There would be nights she refuse all the vege and some nights refuse meat. DD started childcare last week and she was very hungry after childcare.... I have never seem her that hungry and that night she cleaned the plate. So when a child is hungry he or she will eat and it is fine to send him or her to bed without dinner.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Tses For This Useful Post:

Ellies Mum  (16-01-2014)