+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Day 2/3 of TT - broken up by daycare - not sure whether to push on

DS is 2y7m. I've been preparing him for TT for a few months, saying that he'd wear undies & go in the toilet when he was a big boy etc. He sporadically tells us after doing a poo - maybe 30% of the time, and never for a wee. But he has decided he wanted to wear undies (asked for them Weds morning), so I thought Id give TT a go. I am trying the 3 day method, but pretty modified in that we can't do 3 continuous days, some days we have to leave the house, and he goes to day care 2 days a week. I also do ask him / try him on the toilet from time to time (against the advice of the method) as well as rushing him to the toilet when a wee starts (what the method suggests).

So first day, we only had 1/2 a day to TT, and it was basically all wees on the floor, as I expected. No problem - just praised him lots.

2nd day was day care - took him in undies and they put him back into a pull-up once he'd had an accident pretty soon after arriving. They put him on the toilet every 20 mins and once he did do a wee on the toilet

Today is the 2nd real day of TT and we have stayed in all day. He has done pretty well in that he's finished off 2 wees on the toilet, after I plonked him on it when he'd started on the floor. Earlier this arvo he did 2 other wees on the toilet after I put him on there before he had started. I have rewarded him with lots of praise & stickers these times.

The rest of the arvo has been terrible though - wees on the floor every 15 min. I have found it pretty dispiriting after the earlier progress. I may have given him too much fluid!

Tomorrow is daycare again, so doubtless they will put him back in pull-ups. I have the option of starting work late tomorrow so could TT at home in the morn so he only has 1/2 day of pull-ups. Fri we could spend all day at home, but the weekend we have stuff on that we can't really move.

So just thinking ahead, do you think is it worth continuing after the weekend if on Fri he is still having as many accidents as he is now (today we went through 20 pairs of undies). When it hasnt been 3 straight days, do you think they take a bit longer, or should I still be expecting it to click on Fri ?(for him to at least realise he is wet, which he doesnt at the moment and just continues playing if I dont scoop him up). Or if he is still having so many accidents on Fri, would I be best to put him back in pull-ups and give it a go next month?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd just keep trying unless he's starting to get upset. We did the 3 day method with DD (without interruptions) and she did still take a full 2 days before she started telling me she needed to go.

This is just my opinion, but I think if you stop halfway, it sort of sends the message that you don't think he can do it. I believe that getting your kids to do things that they find a bit difficult really builds their confidence when they succeed. But as I said, just my opinion.

Good luck TT your little man! Let us know how you go.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Is there no way he can stay home 3 days in a row? I think you could be confusing him, and not giving him a chance to 'feel like' doing a wee (the sensation of needing to go). The only way TT worked for us was to go into undies and never back to nappies (except night nappies for an extra few months). This required the whole 3 days of focusing solely on TT at home, it was annoying but well worth it. Keep in mind he may not be ready, not all kids are TT before 3.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We've just finished TT our Dd2.after several stops and starts due to travel, family events etc. Once you start you cannot stop. I advise you to take a week off work and be consistent. He has the idea now you need to reinforce it.

Something that should have been completed in a week or so with my little girl took 2-3mths cos we were stuffing her around.

Sent from my HTC One SV using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for your feedback everyone. I can't really take a week off work, but I could cancel what we have on Sun arvo, so that he can have Sat arvo, all Sun and all Mon at home. That will have to be enough for now... Perhaps we can wrangle a whole weekend at home in a couple of weeks if he is still struggling.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Cdro, when you first started the 3 days, how many of your DD's accidents were you able to catch just as they were starting? I am trying to do this all the time, but do miss a few as it seems like the moment I turn my back to get something, he has peed! The 3 day method stresses how important it is, but unless you have someone else with you the whole time, it seems pretty unrealistic, esp with an older child that's running and jumping around.

Thanks
    Reviews
    From memory, I did manage to catch most of the accidents. But I stuck to her like glue for those few days. When I missed one, I would still put her on the potty afterwards and remind her to keep her undies dry.

So my hit rate was quite good BUT I don't have a second child to look after. If you're training over the weekend, will there be someone else at home who can help with your other little one?

If you can do a full 3 days, give it everything you've got and try not to get disheartened with the accidents. It really does take the full 3 days for many kids, and the progress isn't gradual - once it clicks, it just clicks.

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Will daycare not support your toilet training? I would be telling them what you are doing and have them keep prompting and taking him. Just send lots of spare pants. Daycare is a part of his life and routine.

I thought my DD was so far off toilet training and it was daycare that got the ball rolling and really made it happen.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree with the above. DD learnt toilet training pretty well from daycare. They would ask her every two hours to sit on the toilet, and were patient when she had accidents (being summer she was outside most of the time). And seeing their peers using the toilet helps too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks girls. Cdro - he doesnt have an older sib, I just worded it badly - I meant that he is at the older side of the age range for TT - esp with the 3 day method, the author seems to talk abt TT 18m-2yr olds and I was thinking perhaps it's easier to catch accidents in them as they can't get quite as far/as fast as a boy who's approaching 3...

He's actually doing really well today - did a full wee in toilet at daycare and at home he asked to go and got there in time. Hopefully we will get there over the WE.