+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Anyone use a tetra mattress in thir bassinet?

For ds2 I used a tetra bassinet mattress. He loved it.

Ds3 is due in a few weeks and I need to replace it. I cant find the same size mattress anywhere.

My bassinett is 82cm long.

The only tetra mattress I can find is 84cm long.

For anyone who has had a 'squishy' tetra mattress, do you think this would be ok?

Obviously if it was a firm mattress I wouldnt even consider it but for anyone who knows the squish factor of the tetra mattress, youll understand why im considering it.

Thoughts?

Hoping someone can help.

Sent from my GT-P3110 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I don't know what a tetra mattress is but baby mattresses are supposed to be more firm than squishy, as if they're too soft, they can be a suffocation risk

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I personally wouldn't, a tetra mattress came with our bassinet and it doesn't fit correctly, it's way to soft for my liking, so I have purchased a harder one. I found it looked to be a SIDS risk.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I actually had them referred to me by a sleep school, and it wasn't squishy when in the bassinet, but I do appreciate where you're both coming from.

Totally get the SIDS thing which is foremost on my mind.

Thanks for your replies

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Oh I've definitely heard good things about them, looking at it though in the bassinet had me feeling a bit uneasy, I've not had bub yet though so can't say how it would be with her in their .

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Used one with both of mine, love it. My kids both slept in bassinet for less than 6 weeks so no issues with rolling over etc. I think the extra cm's would squish in fine. Good luck

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mmumm For This Useful Post:

misho  (08-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Misho, is it the smaller pillow shaped one, or the rectangular one with raised sides (snuggle bed)?
    I had the smaller one to start with but admittedly was a bit wary as I worried about bub rolling, so never used it. But the bigger one I used for both DD2 & 3, and loved it. I dont think it would fit in a bassinet though, width wise. We used ours in the cot (you use it on top of the cot mattress) and we also used it as a portable bed on top of single beds when we went away. Obviously they only get used until about 6mths, but I found the Tetra to be fantastic.

I had them recommended to me as well by several health professionals as they are totally breathable, and there are no chemicals in making them at all. Even if bub turned their face right onto the side of the mattress the flakes allow air to circulate.
    Their safety testing and SIDS guidelines are here
    http://www.tetrateatree.com.au/Safety.html

Im trying to track down another Tetra snuggle bed now for DS, as I love them!
    I think if you have a look on the site it explains about allowable widths etc, so that might help. Or it might be worth asking your MCHN, if they do a home visit. But if you end up liking it then I would definitely consider getting the snuggle bed as well as then you can use it in the cot or while co-sleeping.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mamaof4 View Post
    Misho, is it the smaller pillow shaped one, or the rectangular one with raised sides (snuggle bed)?
    I had the smaller one to start with but admittedly was a bit wary as I worried about bub rolling, so never used it. But the bigger one I used for both DD2 & 3, and loved it. I dont think it would fit in a bassinet though, width wise. We used ours in the cot (you use it on top of the cot mattress) and we also used it as a portable bed on top of single beds when we went away. Obviously they only get used until about 6mths, but I found the Tetra to be fantastic.

I had them recommended to me as well by several health professionals as they are totally breathable, and there are no chemicals in making them at all. Even if bub turned their face right onto the side of the mattress the flakes allow air to circulate.
    Their safety testing and SIDS guidelines are here
    http://www.tetrateatree.com.au/Safety.html

Im trying to track down another Tetra snuggle bed now for DS, as I love them!
    I think if you have a look on the site it explains about allowable widths etc, so that might help. Or it might be worth asking your MCHN, if they do a home visit. But if you end up liking it then I would definitely consider getting the snuggle bed as well as then you can use it in the cot or while co-sleeping.
    It's the traditional style bassinet mattress. It's on their website & you can buy them in big w.

I guess 'squishy' gives the wrong perception.. Maybe 'floppy when out of the bassinet' would be better. It's certainly firm & settled once in the bassinet.

I just want the actual thing to fit in the bassinet and not be spilling over the top. I don't think it will, but I don't want to pay for something I won't use.

Knowing what the one I already have from ds2 is like, I don't think it will because it seems to settle down with more use therefore looking less 'full' then when first bought.
    I've contacted tetra and might give them a buzz again tomorrow.

We will cosleep, bub will be in the bassinet next to my bed. I don't think the snuggle bed is for us, ds1 stool sleeps with us most nights and my dh would kill me if I introduced another kid into our bed! Lol.

Thanks 4 the replies

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Karen2010 View Post
    Used one with both of mine, love it. My kids both slept in bassinet for less than 6 weeks so no issues with rolling over etc. I think the extra cm's would squish in fine. Good luck
    Thanks, I kinda think the same but it's so hard to know.
    But it's only 2cm!! Dilemma!