+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default First haircut dramas

Our son is 16 months old and I took him this morning for his first haircut. I took some fruit and biscuits with us to occupy him with morning tea.

He was fine when we got there. Played with some toys while waiting. But then the strange hairdresser lady talked to him and wanted to touch him and touch his hair... cue sad face, wailing and clinging to mummy for dear life. We managed to wet his hair and that was it. Morning tea didn't help or distract him either.

I didn't think about this before going but it makes sense to me now. He has the same reaction if a relative he hasn't seen for a while (like a few weeks/months) comes to visit and tries to get a cuddle from him. He's not comfortable with strange faces and places.

Should we try again? Any tips?
    Or, another thought, give him a crop top with the clippers at home?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Has he seen anyone else have their hair cut? Maybe let him watch his dad have his hair cut so he can what it's like etc. and you can talk to him about it, describe everything that happens.

My nephew used to sit on his mums lap to have his hair cut, he would sit facing his mum so the hairdresser could cut the back and sides.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to SpottySocks For This Useful Post:

debsch  (08-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    DD is 2 and had her first cut a week ago. She is like your DS, not good with strangers at all.

As she's a bit older, we were able to 'talk it up' a bit beforehand. We told her she was going to get a haircut and it would be so pretty, all with excited tones. She got excited about it but still cried & clung to me at the time. I just had her sit on my lap facing me and hairdresser gave her a quick trim. We even got her to giggle a little towards the end.

Get him to go see his daddy getting haircuts and talk about it for a few days before his next cut like its a really fun and exciting thing.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:

debsch  (08-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We just went to get ds hair cut. Some hairdressers are more kidfriendly, the one we go to puts on a dvd of peppa pig which is a great distraction.

Sent from my SM-T310 using The Bub Hub mobile app

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Candiceo For This Useful Post:

debsch  (08-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you for the suggestions. I will definitely try sitting him on my lap facing me next time instead of facing out.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/9/2014100 Posts in a week
    We used a special treat that he doesn't get all the time (ginger bread man) and he sat on my lap for his first hair cut. The hairdresser had a portable DVD player and put a cartoon on for him to watch which was a great distraction.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to summastarlet For This Useful Post:

debsch  (09-01-2014),lilypily  (08-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We had daddy get a cut first, then mummy had her hair painted lol then he sat on me and played on iPad while his hair got cut. We made it a very short trim to make it a positive experience. He didn't love it but has had a second one and was ok.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to lilypily For This Useful Post:

debsch  (09-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Could you try having a hair dresser come to your house that way he is in his own envirnoment and lots of distractions? I have seen lots of them advertised on gumtree and facebook bss sites....especially ones that are great and patient with kids

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Purple Lily For This Useful Post:

debsch  (09-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Most kids have this issue, they will outgrow it. Having said that with a boy for safety I would use (or have the hairdresser use) the clippers as they can't accidentally cut their ear/finger etc. My nephew was fine the first few haircuts he got (with scissors) but then all of a sudden when he went to get one he freaked out and it was a horrible experience for all of us. We were worried about them cutting him with the scissors too. He now goes to a different hairdresser and they use the clippers on him. We have tried at home but the same reaction (freak out), and we have tried distraction , letting him play with the clippers and letting him shave his uncles head (and pretend to shave his mums) but he is still scared. He is getting a bit better with each hair cut and we hope he will not be much longer before he isn't scared.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to jazz1910 For This Useful Post:

debsch  (09-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We did it! We took the plunge and cut his hair at home with the clippers.

Using all your suggestions (cutting dad's hair, sitting bub on the lap, using a distraction) we did it in two goes. We cut most of it last night and I finished the rest off this morning in front of sesame street.