+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default How to stop bedtime breast feeding?

I want to slowly wean bub off night-time feeds. I want to do it within 3 or 4 months... or sooner? Whatever works best.

Our boy is 16 months and will BF at bedtime, then again during the night once or twice (unless ill, then it's way more). He is settling himself more during the night so I am optimistic that he'll wean himself off night feeds soon.

It's our bedtime ritual feed that I'm stuck on. He very rarely feeds to sleep now. He'll have a feed then I'll stay with him in the room (on the other bed or sitting on his bed) until he is asleep.

I was considering replacing the feed with some milk but have decided against that after reading some posts here and elsewhere on the net. Another habit to break, not good for teeth, etc...

Just wondering if anyone has been in a similar situation and how they did it? Thanks for any suggestions or tips!
    Last edited by debsch; 08-01-2014 at 09:26. Reason: off not of!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Could you offer a cup of milk instead of a BF? I ff my 2 so im not sure but when I decided no more bottles at bedtime, I just offered a cup of milk instead

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Louise41 For This Useful Post:

debsch  (08-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    DD BF till 3 and the only way I could drop the bedtime feed was having DH do the nighttime routine for a few nights and reading her a story instead. Then when I had to put her to bed I did the story too and she didn't ask for a feed.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Just*Ace For This Useful Post:

debsch  (08-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would initially change the feed to earlier in the bedtime routine (eg. Before bath), then read stories and cuddle before bed. Hopefully the feed will then be easier to just drop once its not associated with sleep. Having DH do the bedtime routine for a few nights is a good idea too!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to sajimum For This Useful Post:

debsch  (08-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I night-weaned my DS at 14 months, very quickly and surprisingly easily just by telling him that he could have boobies in the morning and giving him water instead
    As for cutting out the bedtime feed, I've weaned 3 kids now and the bedtime is usually one if the last to go. I switch the bedtime routine, so instead of dinner, bath, boob, bed, I'd do dinner, then boob, bath and bed, so bath becomes the sleep association. Then I gradually drop it- every third day for the first week, then every second day for the next week, then only do it every third day for the next week and then cut out completely when they've forgotten about it! I wean really slowly and this has worked well for me every time.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Sub Rosa For This Useful Post:

debsch  (08-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/9/2014100 Posts in a week
    I'm in the process of weaning my 2yo DS off the bedtime boobie. Distraction has worked well so far (5 nights in). Once he's had a bath we have all been going up to his room (myself, hubby and his brother too), get dressed into pjs then we play/read stories for a little while. He still asks for a feed (his routine was to bring me the sleeping bag to put on and then he would have boob) but I explain that's he doesn't need it anymore and as the nights go on the tantrums are getting less!

Good luck

11. The Following User Says Thank You to summastarlet For This Useful Post:

debsch  (08-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Just*Ace View Post
    DD BF till 3 and the only way I could drop the bedtime feed was having DH do the nighttime routine for a few nights and reading her a story instead. Then when I had to put her to bed I did the story too and she didn't ask for a feed.
    This is why I'm needing to cut out the bedtime BF, because man boobs can't do the same job! My husband will have to put bub to bed in a few months time... We might try what you did and see how it goes.