+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default How to begin weaning 12 month old from breast

My DD has just turned 12 months and I'd like to start weaning her from breastfeeding.
    Currently I'm feeding her when she wakes up and also before bed at night. So she is on 4 feeds (morning, after 1st nap, after 2nd nap, then bedtime).
    She also eats plenty of solids 3 times per day plus snacks.

I have no idea how to wean her! I've googled it but there are just so many conflicting views.
    I thought perhaps I should start feeding her solids first then topping her up with milk afterwards, but then I would still be breastfeeding her and I'd still have to eventually stop that.
    So perhaps I should replace breastfeeds with milk feeds (cows milk?) but then she would be having 4 bottles of cows milk per day, and eventually I'd have to wean her off these too!

I'm so confused,
    If anyone has any advice or has done this themselves, please help!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Same issue here!
    http://www.bubhub.com.au/community/f...breast-feeding

Will be interested to see what people have to say!

We're on a similar 4-feeds-a-day schedule - one after each main meal and one during the night. I've heard of "Don't offer and don't refuse" and sometimes during the day we are out and busy and our boy misses out on a couple feeds without either of us noticing. So the day time feeds won't be an issue here... it's the bed time feed I'm concerned about.
    Last edited by debsch; 08-01-2014 at 09:32.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I would probably look at cutting out the 2 middle of the day feeds first (just after naps). I wouldn't replace with a milk feed, just offer increased solids if your little one needs it. You might want to drop one at a time to let your supply adjust so as not to get mastitis. I have slowly been dropping feeds for my 13mth old. He is now on just two a day - first thing in the morning and last thing at night. I have just replaced the feeds with solids and distracted him if he was looking for it. I don't intend on dropping the other two feeds for quite some time, but the first to go will be early morning. Just get bub up and offer breakfast rather than a breastfeed. Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Also make sure bub is getting enough water. Offer water after a meal instead of milk

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am interested in this. DS is 11 months and I am happy ton continue bf but think we will probably cut down feeds once he is 1 as I am going back to work and am struggling to express for the 2 feeds he would need for my work day (currently having 3 feeds a day and it took me 2 weeks to get 4 feeds worth).

I am undecided if I should just give cows milk at lunch when I'm at work or give him extra food if I can't get enough ebm.

To add in to the mix, I really want to keep bf even if it's just his bedtime feed or he just feeds when I'm around and goes without when I'm not.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh and I would drop to 3 feeds first and start offering lunch before feed. I did that without noticing the other day and then DS wouldn't take his lunch feed so only took 2 but was completely fine as he'd eaten more for lunch. I've had to go back to bf before food for a little while longer as I don't want him dropping to many feeds before 1.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I dropped one feed a week, so I wouldn't get mastitis. Didn't replace the day ones with milk. Make sure getting enough fluids as pp said (water/milk in a sippy cup). I gave morning/night bottles but that took ages to wean. Maybe just use a sippy cup. NO milk in bed. (rots teeth).