+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by moosey View Post
    I would be devastated if a family member got rid of my grandmothers things. I can totally understand them being upset. It might not be worth much but the sentimental value is often huge.
    This

If you bought the house and moved in while it was still full of her belongings, you should have made enquiries as to what grandma / family wanted done with all the furniture / items.

Give your Grandma the $200 and your apologies.

Totally in love with our two beautiful little girls.
    Feb 2011 and May 2013

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Who put her into care? I would think it's her children's job to clear out the house for sale otherwise it's kind of sold as is.
    It's hard with family sales though because people make assumptions on both sides.

If I'd bought a house and on settlement there was stuff in if I would do with it as I pleased. But family sales murky the waters.

Maybe there were some assumptions made by a few people? I don't think you're solely at fault here I just think things may not have been clear either side.

3. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

BettyW  (09-01-2014),Cue  (09-01-2014),HowCrazyCool  (09-02-2014),Little Miss Sunshine  (09-01-2014),onkybear  (09-01-2014),SoThisIsLove  (09-01-2014),Stiflers Mom  (09-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow, I think huge mistakes we made on your behalf and your families.
    Your family should have decided what to do with all of your grandmothers things at the time of sale or when she was put into a home. But seeing that didn't happen you should have checked if anyone wanted anything and spoken to your grandmother before you offloaded her possessions.
    You definitely owe her a huge apology and the money that was made from her things.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Agree with the majority here.

If I bought a furnished house off my grandma, I'd be questioning what was going to happen with all her stuff before I moved in.

It also seems strange that no one from your family asked about grandma's stuff earlier. 6 months is a long time to wait before asking the question!

I'm sorry, but you really should have consulted grandma/family regarding this before selling her stuff.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I've lived in my grandmothers house for 6 months, both my grandparents have gone to a home. Do I like the furniture that's here? Not particularly, have I gotten rid of anything, no. Not to be rude, but the way I look at it is, my grandparents ( thankfully) have not passed away, there for I wouldn't dream of giving away or selling their belongings without their permission and if I did, I would certainly be giving the money to them. When moving in here, we brought everything we thought they needed plus wanted to their nursing home. I honestly can't bare to get rid of there things so I have moved around things or stored furniture so that we live comfortably as well as respecting their property.

Thanks
    Reviews
    OP bought the house which suggests everything in it. It's not like she was just staying there or house sitting. Considering what a big job it must have been to go through all her grandma's stuff with a new baby, I don't think she did anything wrong. It would have been better to ask but again, new baby tends to equal extreme nesting and tidying and sorting. I would now ask family members to come and sort out amongst themselves who gets what from the items you kept, or send it all back to the aunt who asked after her things.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to BettyW For This Useful Post:

Stiflers Mom  (09-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Katey4 View Post
    I've lived in my grandmothers house for 6 months, both my grandparents have gone to a home. Do I like the furniture that's here? Not particularly, have I gotten rid of anything, no. Not to be rude, but the way I look at it is, my grandparents ( thankfully) have not passed away, there for I wouldn't dream of giving away or selling their belongings without their permission and if I did, I would certainly be giving the money to them. When moving in here, we brought everything we thought they needed plus wanted to their nursing home. I honestly can't bare to get rid of there things so I have moved around things or stored furniture so that we live comfortably as well as respecting their property.
    I think this is a different scenario. OP has purchased the house.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah but she kept the money.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by kw123 View Post
    Yeah but she kept the money.
    Yeah I think she should have given this to her Nan and checked what was to be done with the belongings etc. but I also think other family should have asked and assisted her if required too. Murky family property sales cause dramas, someone always feels like they got the raw end of the deal.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    I think this is a different scenario. OP has purchased the house.
    Yes, but it's also her grandma and she told her she donated the furniture, but it was sold.