+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes I do have a permanent position and am entitled to maternity leave. I'd rather not say what line of work my government position is in, however I can say that it's (supposedly!) very family-orientated and child focused (haha). I also know from past experience, and from other co-workers, that a temporary position is quite easy to fill and there would be no problems with this. I guess my boss just feels I don't deserve it (and he would feel this x 3 if we were to get pregnant again) which is definitely his problem but not nice to have to work with every day.

I would love it if I could return to work for a longer period however I'm an older mum and if we leave it too much longer I will feel too old and decide for that reason alone that we shouldn't have a third. In hindsight I wish I'd returned to work after one year with my second but my second bub was a very sick baby who didn't sleep at night very well so it wasn't really possible at the time

Thanks for the replies - they are really helping me to work through the thoughts that have been going around and around in my mind! Although I'm still no nearer a solution

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi there,

I'm in a sort of similar position. I started working in early 2008 for a government organisation. Left in November 2009 to have my first. Returned after 6 months in a part-time position. Worked for 12 months and went to have second bubs. Returned after 12 months and currently been back for 18
    months. I am early stages pregnant at the moment with my third and if all goes to plan will have notched up another 8 months before I leave for my third.

Yes, I have used the company for 3 lots of mat leave, but eventually I will return to my part time role and one day perhaps to full time. It used to stress me out that I wasn't 'committed' but after my workplace had a round of redundancies I thought to myself I'm really just a number. I work hard and always go beyond and above what I need to do. If my colleagues aren't happy with me, what can I do?

donehat feels right- you don't have to justify yourself to anyone.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to PinkPink For This Useful Post:

Strawberry Kisses  (08-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Government job? Truly I wouldn't even give it a 2nd thought. You're entitled to it. I work in education and we need to replace teachers all the time for maternity leave, it's an entitlement and you're entitled. If anyone treats you poorly that says more about them. It's the nature of a work place that people take their leave/entitlements and that the workplace manage this effectively. Do what's best for your family, they'll manage.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

Strawberry Kisses  (08-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks all
    I guess if I was a different person I wouldn't feel bad about it at all lol. I wish I was like that! But obviously I want to live my life as well, not be completely restrained by what my boss does or doesn't want!!
    My long term plan is to stay in government, my current further studies are towards a higher position in government (eventually!) so it's not like I want to take the leave and then run - I'm guessing I'll be in government for the next 20+ years at least so they will get their money's worth!

I guess it just depends in the end if I can put up with such a negative and judgmental workplace for the pregnancy

Thank you all so much for your comments and reflections - it really has helped heaps!! And nice to know I'm not the only one.....

Thanks
    Reviews
    As someone else pointed out, you're just a number.. It's not your fault that you're entitled to maternity leave.. If it came down to redundancies, the company wouldn't save you because you have a family and need the job, so why sacrifice your family because they need someone in that position..? That's what temps are for.. I wouldn't be broadcasting that you're trying right away though and I'm the type of person that would try not to let my current family life impact on my work life too much either (unless necessary of course).. Just because I too would feel guilty for the same reasons and be trying to prove that when I'm at work, I'm at work IYKWIM..

Sent from my GT-I9507 using The Bub Hub mobile app

8. The Following User Says Thank You to bunnyderu For This Useful Post:

Strawberry Kisses  (11-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Last edited by dee1; 20-02-2014 at 20:21.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I work in the government and as of today on my second mat leave. Really, in large gov depts you know you are just a number. And as pp's have said they won't (and don't) hesitate to do whatever to us that suits them! I think you need to do what is right for you without giving them a second thought. If your boss gives you any sort of a hard time I'd be taking it immediately to hr- hello anti discrimination law breaking!!! Maternity leave is what you are entitled to- it is meant to be something that equalises women in the workforce somewhat (i.e. Take leave instead of being forced to quit forever more....). Don 't let anyone make you feel crap about it!

The positive is you are giving someone a chance to take your temp position and get experience in the government! Which is exactly how I got my first chance, then worked my a$s off to a permanent position (and have given 2 people experience in the gov with my mat leaves!! ) So really - hats off to you.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to rach85 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Yep, but I work as a teacher in a public school so there's not much they can do about me taking maternity leave!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I will be in a similar position if we have a third. I must admit it is a factor in our decision to have a third, though I try to shake off the guilty feelings and just make the decision that is right for us.
    I don't think we should feel guilty though, I saw a show on TV the other night where the family had 9 kids and relied solely on welfare (in the UK) - see, I think THEY should feel guilty

15. The Following User Says Thank You to MummaOJ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Actually 'dee1' I didn't say: 'I would love to quit but then I wouldn't get maternity pay' as you misquoted me as saying, I actually said: 'I would love to quit however then obviously I won't have a job to return to' but hey, whatever makes you feel more justified in making wild assumptions (although you're not being judgemental at all haha) lol