+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Maternity Leave x 3

Hi there,

Just wondering if anyone has been in a similar situation to me:

I started with my employer in 2008, took paid and unpaid maternity leave in 2010 for my first bub, and returned after 13 months in 2011. I then worked for six months before going on maternity leave again to have my second bub, and have since had 2 years off (paid and unpaid leave). I am due back at work next month however hubby and I, after much discussion over the last couple of years, have pretty much decided 100% to try for baby number 3

My concern is that my 'boss' (doesn't own the company but is in charge of our office) wasn't happy about either of my previous pregnancies (even though I'd been employed for 2 years before I took my first maternity leave) and will be even less happy about me having a third. My last return to work (for six months) I found quite stressful and already I'm dreading how I'll be treated once word is out I'm planning on taking maternity leave again (for at least one year again). We tend to get pregnant almost straight away too so I'm guessing it would be the same again this time. I can understand why it isn't ideal (I guess I've been on leave for longer than I've actually been employed, which does make me feel guilty) however its not like I'd get anything I'm not legally entitled for! I also can't plan my life and having children completely around my work.

Just wondering if anyone else has taken maternity leave 3 times during their employment, how their employer handled it, how they handled it?! We're not even pregnant yet and already I'm worried If I could leave I would but we need the maternity leave and a job for me to come back to!

Sorry for the long post!

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I haven't been in this position but I can see that it would be a frustration for an employer to have to be putting people on temporary contracts to hold a position open for someone who is not there. That said, it is not an excuse for treating you poorly.

If they do treat you badly, is it really somewhere you want to be working?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to SpecialPatrolGroup For This Useful Post:

Strawberry Kisses  (08-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Last edited by dee1; 20-02-2014 at 20:22.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to dee1 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the replies

I work in government so I can understand it's a hassle, but not personally my bosses' problem or coming out of my bosses' pocket. But yes, I can understand that it would be frustrating. However I don't want to not have children so I don't cause my boss too much hassle, you know?

I do plan on returning to work after baby number 3, should we go ahead, although on a part time basis initially if I can.

I would love to quit however then obviously I won't have a job to return to, or maternity leave payments (including the government paid maternity leave/baby bonus) which would make things just as stressful

Thanks
    Reviews
    They are legally required to hold your job open for a minimum of 52weeks (unpaid). It depends on your depts policy on paid leave arrangements etc. the only requirement to access unpaid parental leave is that you've worked a minimum period of 12months before accessing your first leave period (which you have).

Your HR team shouldn't have a problem filling a 12 month contract.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to babycart For This Useful Post:

PinkPopsicle  (08-01-2014),Strawberry Kisses  (08-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Last edited by dee1; 20-02-2014 at 20:21.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for that judgement 'dee1' however I don't actually have to return to work for any amount of time to get paid maternity leave, I would just like to as I enjoy my job, feel it's the right things to do for myself and my employer, and have worked hard to get where I am. I also simply don't want to just give it all up just because it would be easier for my employer.

I plan on staying in my job long term and would have preferred things had worked out differently regarding maternity leave and having babies however sometimes when it comes to having kids you have to do it when it's right, which doesn't always work in with work, study, finances, etc. If it was reversed, when it came down to it, I know for a fact my employer wouldn't be making any decisions based around what's easier for their employees!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I haven't but know of plenty of people who have in my workplace. I go back next week after having a year off and am still on unpaid leave but picking up some casual shifts to get money.

I know at least 1 person who has been on 3 consecutive mat leaves and there hasn't been a problem.

Working as a nurse it's just what happens. I know for a fact that my boss doesn't mind, he just gets people to fill in on temporary contracts.

I understand it's a rough position for you to be in as I don't think you would be able to change there attitudes, however - it's what your legally entitled to.

I guess it's up to you to show them your a valuable employer while you are there I suppose?? Good luck

12. The Following User Says Thank You to shani2 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Just curious as to what type of work you do? As an employer I would be quietly peeved (but keep it to myself!) but as an employee I would do the same if I wanted another like you do. I personally would not go back to work for such short periods before taking leave again but that's just me, and I am quite career focused and want to progress more before having another. I know plenty of people who have gone back to work after their first one already pregnant with their second.

How many days are you planning on returning to work and do you know that that arrangement will work? With Govt they are usually very flexible though I guess.

Thanks
    Reviews
    You obviously have a permanent position and are entitled to the leave. It really doesn't matter what your boss thinks- you are entitled to go on maternity leave and there's no reason why you need to feel guilty (although I can understand why you may). I wouldn't advertise the fact you are trying for a baby to anyone at your work, just go back as planned and then when you fall pregnant you fall pregnant. Your boss may not like it but tough luck, that's what maternity leave is there for!

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Colbie For This Useful Post:

duckduckgoose  (08-01-2014),PurpleButterfly4  (08-01-2014),Strawberry Kisses  (08-01-2014)