+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post

As for the mum in the story I feel for her little girl and hubby. However it's obvious that she was pre-disposed to depression. Perhaps the hospital could have done more to treat her. Perhaps the hubby could have been more vocal. Perhaps the mum would have been stressed to the max and been at risk regardless of the breastfeeding problems. Regardless, the breast is best message isn't to blame.
    This!

It sounds like she had mental health issues that could have been addressed better. The article is a bit sensationalist trying to get people's attention by focusing on the breastfeeding issue. If it was about a new mum who committed suicide due to PND there wouldn't be so much repercussion

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Starfish30 For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (08-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    I totally believe their SHOULD be a movement to increase our rates of breastfeeding- but this current mummy war is not the way to go. Shame is not an effective or appropriate tool to encourage mothers to breastfeed.
    Yeah, me too. I'm very pro breastfeeding actually, but I agree not by shame or pressure.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to OurLittleBlessing For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (08-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    I don't think the PPs post was having a go at anyone for how they feed their child at all.
    My babies had top ups in hospital too. I just signed one form. I'm not sure what hospital you went to but I wouldn't be going back. They absolutely cannot legally prevent you giving your baby the formula of your choice (for future reference) if you are formula feeding. I'm very sorry that you had this experience. I've given birth in two public hospitals, been present for three other births and known many women who've had babies and I've not ever heard of anyone who was told they weren't allowed to go buy formula and give it to their child. Not to say I don't believe you, I do, clearly it happened and was very upsetting, but I think you should know this isn't the norm for most people. Usually if you are ff you are required to provide your own formula. I tell you this so you can see why some people might just wonder why you wouldn't just go buy a tin of formula iykwim.
    Yeah I think I must have jumped the gun & took it a bit personal. It hit a bit of a nerve due to my negative experience above. I was gobsmacked when they told me that they wouldn't allow it. I couldn't believe it either, nor did they inform me that I have a right to choose how I want to feed my child. The hospital was a public but I was under private care, not sure how or why that would make a difference though. The hospital has a fantastic reputation, the care was good apart from one horrible middy who didnt give me my pain medication for a whole night (2nd night) after a c-section, and told me to suck it up pretty much when I couldn't feed my child. But I did have fantastic help with trying to breastfeed and so much support, I just felt I wasn't given options, and were pretty much told formula was a no-no while in hospital. I guess they didnt want me to feel like I was "giving up" or something. I'm unsure why what I was told probably was so different to the standard policy in terms of FF in hospital across the board, maybe I talked to the wrong person?

Being a first time mum I went with what the professionals told me. In future I'm going to try again with breastfeeding, but I'll make sure I have formula there for just in case & no one will be telling me otherwise .

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Pusheen The Cat For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (08-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Pusheen The Cat View Post
    So no, it's not so easy as JUST giving their starving, screaming, defenseless losing weight baby baby FF in hospital.
    I sort of agree with ciao mamma. The poor lady in the story was in and out of hospital... At any time she, or her husband could have gone out and given bub formula. Even with the breastfeeding nazi brigade, I don't believe the mum didn't know anything about formula. If the mum didn't switch to formula then perhaps it was because she (herself) felt guilty and stressed about giving up breastfeeding. Sure the breastfeeding lobby probably fed that insecurity but the fact the mum was already predisposed to depression says to me that her negative feelings were at least partially home grown.

- I'm not saying the medical folks aren't to blame. Clearly they could have done more to help and the fact they didn't is disgraceful. I just don't think the hospital and breastfeeding lobby is to blame 100%.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (08-01-2014),BettyW  (08-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    I sort of agree with ciao mamma. The poor lady in the story was in and out of hospital... At any time she, or her husband could have gone out and given bub formula. Even with the breastfeeding nazi brigade, I don't believe the mum didn't know anything about formula. If the mum didn't switch to formula then perhaps it was because she (herself) felt guilty and stressed about giving up breastfeeding. Sure the breastfeeding lobby probably fed that insecurity but the fact the mum was already predisposed to depression says to me that her negative feelings were at least partially home grown.

- I'm not saying the medical folks aren't to blame. Clearly they could have done more to help and the fact they didn't is disgraceful. I just don't think the hospital and breastfeeding lobby is to blame 100%.
    I tend to agree VP.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I disagree with the proposal that the disposition to PND was obvious. When you are a psych you can make that call. Anything else is pure speculation. We don't even know if the woman in question actually had PND or whether she even displayed signs of having it. She may not have. I think we are veering off the track here regarding the proposal that the breast is best message isn't to blame for this woman's death.

From what I have read of this case, my belief is that if the people she sought assistance from didn't have their heads so far up their backsides with the mindless 'breast is best' mantra then perhaps they would have noted other issues that may have surfaced and needed to be addressed as well as the breastfeeding.

As another poster has already mentioned, this was definitely a case of the medical professionals having the wrong focus and I think it's more than reasonable to have these so called professionals held accountable.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Caviar For This Useful Post:

Albert01  (08-01-2014),RipperRita  (08-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pusheen The Cat View Post
    Yeah I think I must have jumped the gun & took it a bit personal. It hit a bit of a nerve due to my negative experience above. I was gobsmacked when they told me that they wouldn't allow it. I couldn't believe it either, nor did they inform me that I have a right to choose how I want to feed my child. The hospital was a public but I was under private care, not sure how or why that would make a difference though. The hospital has a fantastic reputation, the care was good apart from one horrible middy who didnt give me my pain medication for a whole night (2nd night) after a c-section, and told me to suck it up pretty much when I couldn't feed my child. But I did have fantastic help with trying to breastfeed and so much support, I just felt I wasn't given options, and were pretty much told formula was a no-no while in hospital. I guess they didnt want me to feel like I was "giving up" or something. I'm unsure why what I was told probably was so different to the standard policy in terms of FF in hospital across the board, maybe I talked to the wrong person?

Being a first time mum I went with what the professionals told me. In future I'm going to try again with breastfeeding, but I'll make sure I have formula there for just in case & no one will be telling me otherwise .
    Fair enough, it's a sensitive issue. I'm really sorry you had such a bad experience,hopefully it's better for you next time

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I don't think the bfing lobby are 100% to blame VP.When I had my first child and was proverbially beaten with sticks to bf by middies.... I left hospital... and bought a tin of formula. After 3 months of pumping with DS and him having severe reflux and having another toddler to care for, I said sc*ew this and bought formula.

But I wasn't extremely mentally unwell. When you are, you aren't thinking rationally. When you add severe PND to being flooded with the 'breast is best' and 'good mothers put their babies first by bfing' messages she no doubt got in the health system she didn't have that ability to think logically. I only had the baby blues with DD (which I believe was 100% brought on by the mw's) and balled inconsolably the whole 5 days I was in hospital bc I thought I was a crap mum.

You are looking at this as a mentally well person....
    Last edited by delirium; 08-01-2014 at 19:59. Reason: stupid formatting!!

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

beebs  (08-01-2014),Caviar  (09-01-2014),Pusheen The Cat  (09-01-2014)

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Sounds like another crap CHN and GP who let this woman fall through the cracks. Nearly happened to me. I don't think it's exclusive to BF or FF. This woman was already at high risk of PND, just goes to show how crap our segmented system is.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (08-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Caviar View Post
    I disagree with the proposal that the disposition to PND was obvious. When you are a psych you can make that call. Anything else is pure speculation. We don't even know if the woman in question actually had PND or whether she even displayed signs of having it. She may not have. I think we are veering off the track here regarding the proposal that the breast is best message isn't to blame for this woman's death.

From what I have read of this case, my belief is that if the people she sought assistance from didn't have their heads so far up their backsides with the mindless 'breast is best' mantra then perhaps they would have noted other issues that may have surfaced and needed to be addressed as well as the breastfeeding.

As another poster has already mentioned, this was definitely a case of the medical professionals having the wrong focus and I think it's more than reasonable to have these so called professionals held accountable.
    Ummm... Speculation is on both sides of the coin here...

18. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (09-01-2014)