+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    THis is another tangent entirely - I don't doubt that breastfeeding does all those things, science shows it does. But science also shows that you can't tell the difference between a child who was formula fed and one that was breast fed. I think the benefits of breastfeeding have been grossly over exaggerated by some in the past (not by you!!) - and studies are showing this. Of course the benefits should be mentioned, just not exaggerated.

To the PP who said that the husband was to blame. WTF? No seriously, he tried so hard to get his wife help and no one would listen. What should he have done, chained her up so she couldn't go out and kill herself?
    I know it was another tangent I just wanted to address what a PP said as it didn't sit right with me iykwim There is some recent info from an 18 year longitudinal study that has come out that is very interesting but yeah, I'm going way off topic on that one

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I meant I was going off topic!

Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    I know it was another tangent I just wanted to address what a PP said as it didn't sit right with me iykwim There is some recent info from an 18 year longitudinal study that has come out that is very interesting but yeah, I'm going way off topic on that one

3. The Following User Says Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (09-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I meant I was going off topic!
    Haha, I was too

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    It strikes a chord with many because many of us felt pressured to continue breastfeeding, when it clearly wasn't working and for some of us we feel that it made our mental health issues worse - well it certainly did in my case. You can say that it isn't the case, but some of us have actually lived through it and we know what it feels like. So for us - the breast feeding part is an important part of her story.
    They go hand in hand in my story of PND as well.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to RipperRita For This Useful Post:

beebs  (09-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Name of study? Link?

As you know, I despise when people try and use anecdotal evidence as proof of something- much prefer facts and figures....buuuuttt. As you know - I was breastfed for a year by a non drinking/ smoking healthful mother and I'm riddled with autoimmune diseases (which is why I can't breastfeed) and my kids who were all ff at different times, are just healthy - one is bright beyond my capabilities, one is sporty - beyond my capabilities, and so far (fingers crossed and knock on wood) they are much healthier than I was as a child. So I am seeing the absolute opposite really...not that that means anything, but I can't quite shake the feeling that breastfeeding did a fat lot of good for me

Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by RipperRita View Post
    They go hand in hand in my story of PND as well.
    Mine too. Which was my main reason for switching to formula with DS3 when it all started going pear shaped in the hospital with his blood sugar levels.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Name of study? Link?

As you know, I despise when people try and use anecdotal evidence as proof of something- much prefer facts and figures....buuuuttt. As you know - I was breastfed for a year by a non drinking/ smoking healthful mother and I'm riddled with autoimmune diseases (which is why I can't breastfeed) and my kids who were all ff at different times, are just healthy - one is bright beyond my capabilities, one is sporty - beyond my capabilities, and so far (fingers crossed and knock on wood) they are much healthier than I was as a child. So I am seeing the absolute opposite really...not that that means anything, but I can't quite shake the feeling that breastfeeding did a fat lot of good for me
    Yep and all the threads people make about it on here say the same when it comes to illnesses. No difference at all!

Not saying that there aren't any benefits but I think they are vastly overstated. And the WHO appears to agree!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to kw123 For This Useful Post:

beebs  (09-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Name of study? Link?

Beebs, this is enough for me, to know the breast is best campaign comes really close to propaganda....

The World Health Organization performs regular updates of their systematic reviews to ensure all recommendations are based on the most up-to-date evidence. The WHO recently released an update to their 2007 review entitled “Long-term effects of breastfeeding: a systematic review.” In the 2007 report, evidence suggested that breastfeeding boasts a protective affect against obesity, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, type 2 diabetes, and is linked to better performance on standardized intelligence tests.

The take home message of this update is while breastfeeding has significant benefits for mother and child, the benefits may have been overestimated for certain long-term effects (namely obesity, diabetes, cholesterol, blood pressure and intelligence test performance). Breastfeeding appears to have a protective effect against high systolic blood pressure, but the effect is too small to be of clinical significance. There is a moderate protective effect against obesity that may also be due in part to other factors such as income and education level of the mother. Intelligence test performance does appear to improve if a child was breastfed, but the average improvement appears to be small (2 or 3 IQ points). Breastfeeding appears to have no affect on total cholesterol levels and there are not enough high quality studies available to calculate an association between breastfeeding and type 2 diabetes.

Me 31, He 34, DD 21 months, waiting for just 1 more to complete our family.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

kw123  (09-01-2014),shelle65  (09-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Name of study? Link?

I'll have a look for it and PM you- was something I read in passing in the wee hours the other night at work

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

beebs  (09-01-2014)