+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Flying to the UK with a 5 month old

Just wondering if anyone with experience of flying to the UK with a baby can give me some advice on the best way to go? We are considering an overnight stop over in Dubai on the way (hopefully staying at an airport hotel) and then doing it all in one on the way back without a stop over. Do babies get jet lag? I'm quite anxious about the whole trip as it's such a long way. I'm also worried that we may not get a cot - apparently we are not guaranteed and have to book and then phone the airline to check availability.
    So basiacally what I'm asking is whether a stop over is a good idea or not? Any tips/advice very much appreciated!!! Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'll be interested in an responses too as I'll be doing the same with a 3 month old... But probably not doing a stop over overnight though....

~Skye~ 21/11/2012
    Skittle due 07/04/2014

Thanks
    Reviews
    I went to the UK with a 17 mth old and we flew straight. It was a terrible trip because she missed out on her usual afternoon nap and so was very overtired by flight time. We had a night flight on the way back and it was a lot easier.
    I personally would rather everyone have to get used to one time change rather than two, so I wouldn't stop over. Plus there's all the luggage that has to be handled twice.
    The lady next to me on the long leg was flying with a baby and she had the bassinet but didn't use it as the baby was a lot more settled on her lap.

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    In my experience, the younger the baby, the easier to fly with. Especially if breastfeeding. I would be really surprised if you didn't get a bassinet...it's usually allocated according to age, so I imagine you would have an extremely good chance with a 5 month old. I suggest taking an ergo or similar - a lifesaver for me when flying with babies (that's if your LO settles easily in one). I used to strap it on and walk up and down the aisles to get them to sleep, and then gently place them down in the bassinet once asleep. If not, I would keep them in the ergo and sit down in my chair while they slept, and have my hands free. Bearing in mind that you can't use it for take off/landing or when the seatbelt sign is on.

Thanks
    Reviews
    You are definitely making the right choice flying via the Middle East (rather than Asia)- this means you will get the long leg out of the way first- 15 or so hours- and it makes for a very short trip into the UK (sometimes as short as 6 hrs). I would try and book the latest flight possible- a lot of Emirates flights, for example, leave Syd around 9.45pm. Baby can (hopefully) sleep through a great portion of the 15 hr leg, rather than only doing a short leg to Asia. I would be tempted to fly straight through on the way over as you will then only have a very short layover (we literally were shuttled straight to our Dubai- Paris flight)- then 6 hours or so is bearable. You should then arrive in the UK in the daytime and you can try and hold out til night to sleep. At that age, baby will travel well, but expect 3 or so nights to adjust sleeping (Paris is beautiful when walking around at 4am!). I find jetlag hits terribly when returning to Oz, so a one night stop on the way back could be good. With Emirates, the transit to the UK can be as little as 24 hours. I agree a baby carrier is a must! We travelled carry on only- it can be done!! So when we arrived we strolled straight out of the airport. All the best x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone for your responses. We unfortunately didn't get a great choice in flights as we are booking with short notice - leaving in a few months. We have booked evening flights with a stop over in Dubai for 14 hours on the way there. We are looking to book a hotel that is actually in Dubai airport so hopefully won't be too much of an inconvenience. No stopover on the return journey. Fingers crossed it goes smoothly and we don't infuriate other passengers with a screaming bub :-s