+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm not concerned about the mess.... Just the intake. She has maybe half slice toast breakfast, cruskit for lunch and yogurt and maybe a bickie or rice cracker at dinner. I cut and steam fruit and veg but she doesn't eat it, same with eggs or cheese or meat or pasta or rice. Just plays with it and then throws it on the floor. But I guess that is normal.... Just she's very very small and MIL keeps telling me my DH and his sister used to eat sooo much more than she does and she's not ready to be feeding herself etc etc so doubting myself about letting her do her own thing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Daptoamy View Post
    I'm not concerned about the mess.... Just the intake. She has maybe half slice toast breakfast, cruskit for lunch and yogurt and maybe a bickie or rice cracker at dinner. I cut and steam fruit and veg but she doesn't eat it, same with eggs or cheese or meat or pasta or rice. Just plays with it and then throws it on the floor. But I guess that is normal.... Just she's very very small and MIL keeps telling me my DH and his sister used to eat sooo much more than she does and she's not ready to be feeding herself etc etc so doubting myself about letting her do her own thing.
    Before 12 months (give or take) milk is her main "food" anyway, so don't stress too much. At this stage actual food is a bit of fun iykwim. Can you give her meat and veg purees with a spoon and see what she does? She might surprise you. Then gradually add a bit more texture?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

smallpotatoes  (07-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I do this to op.
    Ds2 is under 8kg and just about to turn 1.
    If I don't give him pouches he doesn't get enough and is on the Boob all night making up for the lack of food all day.
    He was eating heaps of finger food before I found pouches on holiday now I can't get him back into it.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Do you have any baby cookbooks? Annabel Karmel has a few out with plenty of tips and very yummy recipes--I even make some of the recipes for DH and I.

Maybe making the meals a bit more exciting will help.
    Last edited by HollyGolightly81; 07-01-2014 at 19:27.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (08-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    It's very normal and every baby is different so tell your MIL in a nice way to bugger off! She's definitely ready to feed herself she just needs the practice - I promise you , give it a few weeks and she will be fine - start giving her what you guys have and let her see you eating and make dinner a fun family time , now is the time to let her explore and learn to love a variety of foods

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (08-01-2014),Bubbles10  (07-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    DD would eat small at this age too but loved to self feed. She was (still is) a snacker, she'd never eat a lot in any 1 sitting but would graze all day if it was offered. I would watch other babies her age be spoon fed these gigantic meals and think 'wow!'. But I think those parents were looking at DD thinking "does she eat ALL day?".

For the things she won't eat, I'd still keep putting them on her plate/tray each day. Food is about discovery as well as eating. If you have a baby who likes to be the one in control then they will try the food one day, it will just be on their terms when they decide they're ready!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (07-01-2014)

Buttoneska is offline Winner 2010- Most Community Minded Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I say no because it will make it even harder down the track.

I understand about finger foods. Almost dverytgibg ds14mths eats is corned into balls so he can pick it up himself. Also spiral pasta with purée veg a

Thanks
    Reviews
    And protein as the sauce he handles well

And a

Thanks
    Reviews
    Spoon for them to hold.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I give DS weetbix with milk and yoghurt for breakfast which I feed to him.
    Lunch today was pikelets, grapes, half a chopped sausage, cheese stick and a pouch of fruit.
    For dinner he had bread and I fed him chicken and rice that we were all eating. Generally I feed him a mixture of finger food and stuff I feed him. He shreds broccoli if it is put in front of him, but will eat it if I chop it up and spoon it in.

I use pouches if I'm out and about and want to make sure he's had lunch before taking him home for a sleep. Otherwise I'd be packing lots of little bits and pieces all the time.