+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Let baby suck purees herself from pouch?

I remember reading somewhere it's a no no as it's not teaching them to chew or eat properly.

My 11 month old recently started refusing me to spoon feed her. Unfortunately most finger food gets mucked around with and not eaten. She eats less then half of what she did when I used to feed her purees.

She loves sucking yogurt from the pouches and eats it all yet when I spoon feed her the same thing she will have maybe a teaspoon or two.

Is it ok to let her feed herself other things from pouches? Expensive I know but I just want her to eat something!
    I would follow up with finger food so she's still "eating"...

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't see a problem. Both my kids sucked the puree directly from the tube when we were out and about. As long as you offer plenty of finger foods as well. Pear fingers, banana, rock melon, avocado on toast fingers are all foods my kids loved at that age. They also hated me feeding them and would prefer to do it themselves.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to RipperRita For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (07-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I do it here too, you just have to throw it out after even if there is plenty left as it is not hygienic to use again (even if in the fridge or freezer).

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Daisy Duck For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think as long as she is chewing with other types of finger foods its okay.
    Funnily enough...when I take my dd to feeding therapy, sucking on those pouches is a method they use to help them learn to suck for using straws etc! So I do it with my dd..she loves it, thinks its a game.

Sent from my GT-P5220 using The Bub Hub mobile app

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Tamtam For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I don't think its ideal - I remember reading it could be bad for their teeth because it sticks to them longer as they are not chewing but just sucking ? Also something about puréed fruit especially , does not contain the fibre that whole fruit does and has more concentrated sugar and could cause a spike in blood sugar ?

With finger foods, until they get used to them it does look like they are wasting it but that's how they learn - try maybe giving a whole banana instead of a pouch , at 11 months she should be off purées , you also want to teach her how nice whole foods are which is hard if they are in a pouch !

I'm sure the occasional one is fine but I think this is a critical age where you want to be able to offer her a wide variety of different foods and textures

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (07-01-2014),Little Miss Sunshine  (07-01-2014),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (07-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamtam View Post
    I think as long as she is chewing with other types of finger foods its okay.
    Funnily enough...when I take my dd to feeding therapy, sucking on those pouches is a method they use to help them learn to suck for using straws etc! So I do it with my dd..she loves it, thinks its a game.

Sent from my GT-P5220 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Ditto

11. The Following User Says Thank You to katiana For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have done it with all mine. It's not recommended sure, but we all do what we need to. I really only bought the pouches as a "treat" but I think maybe offer a sandwich, hard boiled egg, veg, fruit etc first might be an idea at 11 months though.

Sent from my LT15i using The Bub Hub mobile app

13. The Following User Says Thank You to RoseBetweenTheThorns For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I let DS 13 months just suck from a pouch. I didn't know it wasn't recommended. I figure he's still learning to feed himself and he eats lots of finger foods as well.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to abibelsmum For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Dd is almost 9 months and refuses to be spoon fed. Its messy yes but they have to learn at some point! I certainly wouldnt offer a pouch every meal or even every day.

Tonight she had fried rice and used a spoon with my hand guiding hers, for the first couple of bites and then I put some on her tray.

It is a bit easier if u put a towel under the high chair so then after eating you can just gather up and shake it out.

*Happiness is not a destination, it's a way of life*

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blissfulfairy For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (07-01-2014),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (07-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'd just let her spoon feed and muck around with food herself- she won't starve and will get the hang of it and it is much better for her developmentally than sucking purée out of a pouch. If you stop cold turkey, she will forget about them in a couple of days.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post: