+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi guys - we're having our baby in a month or so and the reason we bought a bassinet is a) to have the baby in our room at night so everyone sleeps better and b) portability - I can roll the sleeping baby to whatever room I'm in c) wheels allow for rocking the baby at waist height (a friend says this is a godsend)

Kind of assumed all sold in shops would meet set standards.... Hmmmm..

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ButterflyMa For This Useful Post:

Designer JTJF  (08-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We used one of the love'n'care bassinets. It's an oval shaped bassinet with loackable wheels, skirting around the edge, adjustable hood and 3 velcro mobile toys that attach to the hood. It also came with a quilt and flat pillow. We took out the quilt and pillow as we saw this as a SIDS risk and never used the Velcro mobile toys as we thought they could easily fall down and land in bubs face. We loved the portability of the bassinet and we wheeled it from room to room when needed, some nights we pushed it and back forth to help him sleep. The lockable brakes were in a position where you could easily knock it with your big toe while walking and the brake would flick on making it drag all of a sudden, quite annoying. We didn't use the adjustable hood but when you did move it up and down it made very loud clicking noises and probably would have woken bub up. A major flaw to the design of the bassinet was the skirting that draped from the top edge. It didn't allow substantial air flow so in warmer weather we had to peg it up ourselves so bub could get some moving air. Our son was only in the bassinet for 3months because he is a big boy and out grew it quickly. It seemed solid enough but every time he kicked his legs the bassinet would jiggle slightly, as soon as we moved him to the cot he slept better. We loved using a bassinet because it allowed us to have bub in our room and I slept with him pretty much next to me. The hanging basket under the bassinet was handy for storing burp cloths, wraps, bassinet sheets/blankets which made late night changes easier as everything was close at hand. If I had my choice again, I go would for a bassinet with mesh sides (so we could see each other and bub could get some moving air!), nothing hanging over baby, wheels, wooden frame and a firmer mattress.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Koarlo For This Useful Post:

Designer JTJF  (08-01-2014),munchkin859  (08-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    my 2 were in an old fashioned wicker bassinette in their own rooms the day we came from hospital each time. It had a skirt and also a mosquitoe canopy and it was very heavy. It didn't have wheels either so if we wanted to move it we had to lift it... I cant get over how many different styles there are avail now..

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Louise41 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have the Tasman Eco Amore bassinet.

Points I love:
    * can wheel it around when the baby is little
    * fits beside my bed, so I can pick him up at night without getting up
    * longer than most bassinets, so will last longer
    * more stable than many, so I'm not worried about it tipping over
    * the air mesh sides mean I don't worry when he snuggles his face against the side
    * removable for cleaning

Things I don't like or would like to see added/adjusted:

* don't know if it will last until he can roll (lengthwise)
    * height doesn't match our bed- I've got bruises on the underside of my arms from leaning on the rail while hoisting him out when I'm being lazy and picking him up while I'm still in bed - would love to configure it to more of a sidecar style
    * to incline his mattress, we had to wedge a pillow under the base board- it was hard to get this evenly placed, so he'd end up tolling towards one side of the bassinet
    * would like to be able to attach a mobile to keep baby amused

Ours has wheel locks, but we've never used them. However, if you had a toddler as well, these would be essential and should be easy to operate using your foot.
    Last edited by Gentoo; 08-01-2014 at 10:37.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Gentoo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We've purchased the boori urbane - can't remember specifically researching safety on bassinets, although I did re SIDS in general. Like other posters, there's no room in our bedroom for a cot, and as per SIDS we plan on having hub in our room for a minimum of 6 months - so bassinet it was! (Also not interested in co-sleeping). We also have a boori cot in the nursery for later on.....

I preferred the minimalist, modern styling of the bassinet, love that it has lockable wheels.

But again the major selling point was our available space, so not too concerned about the length of time it will be used for. I think I may have seen a bassinet that can convert into something else after it's original use is done? I know that boori do a cot (the boori vivant, I think) that after cot, turns into toddler bed, then after toddler bed, converts to two chairs and a table! Were considering that one but after a while came to the conclusion that we most likely wouldn't end up using it to it's full potential.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to littleduck For This Useful Post:

kiwimum890 is offline It won't happen overnight, but it will happen!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Subbing as looking at purchasing a bassinet 😃

12. The Following User Says Thank You to kiwimum890 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Designer JTJF View Post

a couple of questions for you... aside the concern for safety / SIDS prevention, what sorts of features would you primarily be concerned with if you were to purchase a bassinet? Would you be looking at its portability ? rigidity? Height? Cost? Post use (being used as storage / furniture / likelihood of being sold as as a second hand product)? Features (such as mobiles / lighting / vibrations etc)?

That said, some of the features we have started to explore look at the avenue of providing an enriched sleeping experience for the infant (and parent if the infant is in the same room as the parent) ... we have read some research papers suggesting that rockers can encourage better sleep (longer sleep duration and less time to fall asleep) ... what sort of experiences / strategies do you use or may have seen that seem to assist with this?

Thanks again for reading through and taking the time to reply... as two young men with no real infant caring experience its great to hear these stories / experiences from the source

JTJF
    I'll try to answer your questions . But I'm still pregnant so I won't know what features are lacking with the bassinet I'm buying until I get the chance to use it!

I'm not fussed about portability, the bassinet will stay in our bedroom which is upstairs. During the day, bub will sleep in a cot downstairs. If I lived in a single storey house I'd probably like to be able to wheel it around.

Rigidity is very important, don't want it to tip over accidently or for the frame to buckle. Also would want it to be sturdy enough to last more than one child.

Adjustable height would be awesome (as mentioned by Gentoo), so that I could reach in easily from my bed.

Features such as rocking I can't comment on yet, won't have any experience until bub is here.

Cost is not my primary concern. The bassinet I originally had in mind was $100, but I've switched to one that costs $200 because its safer. That said, I would go with the cheapest that met my needs. I wouldn't pay $300 for an item when a $200 one would suffice.

Post-use options also not a primary concern. I'd rather the product was best suited to its intended use, rather than the design compromised to double-up as something else afterwards. When I first saw the Boori Urbane, I thought it looked like a trolley for wheeling the laundry basket to & from the clothesline- would never have guessed it was a bassinet! This model does appear to have a decent resale value which may be important to some. By the time you bought a 2nd hand bassinet and a new mattress, the cost was not much less than getting the lot brand new.
    Last edited by SimpsonDesert; 08-01-2014 at 12:06.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to SimpsonDesert For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazza78 View Post
    I am still pregnant but we have bought the tasman Eco amore that passed the the choice test, but it all still scares me a bit. The bassinet fits nicely in our room but we can't fit cot in our room but would like her in our room at night as recommended by SIDS. So looks like she's staying in our room for 6 mths in bassinet
    Hi Kazza78 thanks for your input, what will be your next step after your bub outgrows the bassinet? SIDS is apparently a highly motivating factor for most parents (and it should be! ) ... what sort of other features would be appealing to you? Would you be likely to make use of audible functions such as recording your own voice to play back to your baby, or playing songs?

JTJF

Thanks
    Reviews
    @summastarlet thank you for your feedback!

Did you ever feel the need to have to take the bassinet outside? Taking the bub to picnics etc - perhaps
    HTML Code:
    http://www.amazon.com/BRICA-Fold-Go-Travel-Bassinet/dp/B004L2JJ6E/ref=zg_bs_677977011_1/181-9728632-4788865
    may have been an option for you at some point?

If ever recommending a bassinet to a friend, do you think you would encourage them to make use of an product including a mattress protector / washable mattress or similar - something interchangeable?

JTJF

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Designer JTJF View Post
    Hi everyone,

We are a couple of university students looking to obtain some information about the use of bassinets, whether you’re looking to purchase one or are currently using one, or even if your child has outgrown their bassinet and no longer use one! We are seeking to use the information we find to further our research direction in an attempt to better conceptualise a consumer friendly and ideal bassinet that will promote a better experience for both you and your child

Specifically we are hoping to acquire some information about some of the factors of your model of bassinet that you desire/own/owned, the benefits or shortcomings for you and just generally your experience with your product!

Feel free to share your experiences, praise, or rants, things you liked, disliked or wish existed !!!

anything you can tell us is great and we really appreciate you taking time to read and reply
    Basically we wanted the safest bassinet we could find since we have a family history of SIDS. We got the Tasman Eco due to it being the only one choice could recommend at the time.
    Pros
    Mesh lining allows you to see through the side
    wheels helpful for portability.
    good height
    sturdy construction has lasted 3 babies

Cons
    sides a weird angle so you can't put a mobile on
    material comes away from the top but this is cosmetic.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Blackdomino1 For This Useful Post: