+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Bassinet Research - Share your Experiences!

Hi everyone,

We are a couple of university students looking to obtain some information about the use of bassinets, whether you’re looking to purchase one or are currently using one, or even if your child has outgrown their bassinet and no longer use one! We are seeking to use the information we find to further our research direction in an attempt to better conceptualise a consumer friendly and ideal bassinet that will promote a better experience for both you and your child

Specifically we are hoping to acquire some information about some of the factors of your model of bassinet that you desire/own/owned, the benefits or shortcomings for you and just generally your experience with your product!

Feel free to share your experiences, praise, or rants, things you liked, disliked or wish existed !!!

anything you can tell us is great and we really appreciate you taking time to read and reply

Mod-RaryGirl is offline Forum Manager
    Winner 2013 - Best Avatar
    << Awesome avatar by Best Things!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Welcome to BubHub.

I think you will receive a better response if you provide more information. Is this research for a University study? What University is conducting the research? Or are you looking to design/sell a bassinet as a side business while you attend university?

Good luck with your project.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-RaryGirl For This Useful Post:

Designer JTJF  (08-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My understanding is that bassinets do not comply withSIDS recommendations... Because of this I haven't bought one. My baby will go straight into a cot in our bedroom.

Feel free to correct me if I am wrong... A bassinet would definitely be more convenient...

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Pilbara For This Useful Post:

DaenerysT  (08-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am currently looking into bassinets for baby #1 and was shocked to find that there are only 2 models that get the Choice 'recommended' ranking. Another 3 were rated 'worth considering'.

The bassinet I was originally going to get has been scrapped & I'm going for the Boori Urbane instead. It passed the Choice safety tests.

@Pilbara- the Choice testing did cover the recommendations in the Sids & Kids guideline (and more), though they used a different criterion for the depth as measured from top of bassinet edge to top of mattress. Sids specify 300mm minimum but Choice used 250mm. Unfortunately there's no Aust std for either organisation to follow.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SimpsonDesert For This Useful Post:

DaenerysT  (08-01-2014),Designer JTJF  (08-01-2014),Pilbara  (07-01-2014),SoThisIsLove  (08-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks SimpsonDesert ...I will definitely look into that!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Pilbara For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by RaryGirl View Post
    Welcome to BubHub.

I think you will receive a better response if you provide more information. Is this research for a University study? What University is conducting the research? Or are you looking to design/sell a bassinet as a side business while you attend university?

Hi RaryGirl, thank you for the welcome! We have not had a lot of experience on forums and finding the warm welcomes quite surprising!

We are currently undertaking 4th year industrial design honours and part of our project is to engage in research.. the information we source will be used as the basis of a conceptual design of a bassinet that aims to solve at least one of the consumer's concerns...so far SIDS and quality of infant's sleep are major issues we are assessing as well as the life cycle of the product beyond the 6 months bassinets are intended to serve! (what else can we do with it?!!)

Looking forward to hearing from everyone and anyone with more experience than us!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I am still pregnant but we have bought the tasman Eco amore that passed the the choice test, but it all still scares me a bit. The bassinet fits nicely in our room but we can't fit cot in our room but would like her in our room at night as recommended by SIDS. So looks like she's staying in our room for 6 mths in bassinet
    Last edited by Kazza78; 08-01-2014 at 08:56.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Kazza78 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Personally, i think ur better to have baby in a bassinet in ur room than in a cot in their own room. Bassinets are widely used so im not worried about their safety if all sids guidelines are followed.

We have a boori urbane (basically the same as the tasman eco) Im very confident using this bassinet

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SoThisIsLove For This Useful Post:

Designer JTJF  (08-01-2014),Kazza78  (08-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by RaryGirl View Post
    Welcome to BubHub.

Hi RaryGirl, thank you for the welcome! We have not had a lot of experience on forums and finding the warm welcomes quite surprising!

We are currently undertaking 4th year industrial design honours and part of our project is to engage in research.. the information we source will be used as the basis of a conceptual design of a bassinet that aims to solve at least one of the consumer's concerns...so far SIDS and quality of infant's sleep are major issues we are assessing as well as the life cycle of the product beyond the 6 months bassinets are intended to serve! (what else can we do with it?!!)

Looking forward to hearing from everyone and anyone with more experience than us!

EDIT: to avoid double posting!
    @Pilbara and @SimpsonDesert- thank you for your feedback it is very much appreciated - a couple of questions for you... aside the concern for safety / SIDS prevention, what sorts of features would you primarily be concerned with if you were to purchase a bassinet? Would you be looking at its portability ? rigidity? Height? Cost? Post use (being used as storage / furniture / likelihood of being sold as as a second hand product)? Features (such as mobiles / lighting / vibrations etc)?

That said, some of the features we have started to explore look at the avenue of providing an enriched sleeping experience for the infant (and parent if the infant is in the same room as the parent) ... we have read some research papers suggesting that rockers can encourage better sleep (longer sleep duration and less time to fall asleep) ... what sort of experiences / strategies do you use or may have seen that seem to assist with this?

Thanks again for reading through and taking the time to reply... as two young men with no real infant caring experience its great to hear these stories / experiences from the source

JTJF

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/9/2014100 Posts in a week
    We have used a bassinet for both our children for about the first 6-8 months of their lives. For me it was better to have them in our room with us, but a cot wasn't feasible due to space. I liked that I could have them right beside me (without actually being in the bed) so I could check on them and also with my first born it was handy to just be able to reach in and pop his dummy back in when he stirred.

We used a king parrot bassinet which I purchased 2nd hand and just bought a new mattress for each child. I honestly never looked too much into the SIDS guidelines around bassinets as like another poster said I thought it would be better to have the babies in the same room (as per SIDS guidelines) than to have them in their own room (which for us is upstairs and at the other end of the house). I loved this bassinet as it was a simple design (compared to some with lots of frills and ruffles all over them) and it had wheels so you could wheel it round the house if needed. Downside to bassinets is that sheets are hard to come by (or very expensive) but I just used large muslin wraps instead as I didn't see the point in buying sheets when it's used for such a small period of time.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to summastarlet For This Useful Post: