+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Help and advise needed- terrible sleeper!

Hi there
    My DP and I have a beautiful 9 year old and a beautiful 11month old.
    Both of our girls have not been good sleepers at all but ourmain concern at the moment is our 11 month old. She has very very rarely sleptthrough the night and I think the last time was about 6 months ago.
    It used to be that she would just wake the once for a bottleand go back to sleep, which we could handle. But for the last few weeks shesbeen waking up (not always for a bottle) up to 4 to 5 times a night. For example, the night before last was down at 7.30pm. Woke at 9.30, 12, 1, 4 and 5. Took one bottle. Last night she was asleep at 7.45, then woke at 11.45, 2am, and 4.
    She has only just started to cut teeth and has been hard tofeed lately (she is formula fed but on lots of solids now) and DP and I arejust exhausted. We don’t know why she is so unsettled at night. Teeth? She is happy and full of life during the day. She has two day sleeps a day ranging from 30 minutes to maybe 2 hours (on a good day).
    She isn’t cold, hot, hungry or wet/ soiled so we don’t knowwhats going on. We don’t really like the idea of letting her cry it out (I havesome mental health problems and I cant take that) and I will not go to a sleepschool as Ive heard so many bad reviews about the one here.
    We both work and I just don’t know what else to do so Ithought I would come on and see what advice you might be able to offer.
    Im not doing so great with comments that “she should besleeping through by now” which I first heard at 6 months and I continue to cop alot of comments that she should be sleeping through at least 12 hours by now because "well my babies did from 6 weeks" (I wish) and here we are 5months on and she still doesn’t sleep through. Its not helping hearing that coz I wonder what Im doing wrong?
    I know every baby is different and some babies just are notgood sleepers. It seems we get into a great pattern, she gets an illness or avirus and bang, the sleeping is all over the shop again but the last few timeshave just been awful....and she hasn't been sick. Im just wondering with the Christmas break and being home, maybe she isn't getting as 'worn out' as she does at daycare and going out?
    Please help!
    Thanks guys.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I feel for you! My 8 month old still wakes at least 3 times a night. I'm interested to see what ppl suggest here.

I have started lying to ppl about him sleeping the night because I am sick to death of hearing "he should be sleeping by now".

Have you tried to give her a dose of Panadol for her teeth? It would rule out if she is waking from pain.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We recently had a bad stretch with DS waking due to teething with 2 yr old molars. I tried everything for teething I could find and then found good old fashioned Gripe Water works a treat. I just get the one from Coles/Woolies it's alcohol free and sugar free. It settles him and seems to help with the teething and has helped get him back into his sleep routine. I would not give a bottle when she wakes, just a drink of water and then re-settle. If you keep giving a feed during the night she'll keep waking for it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    People are so rude aren't they!!! As if telling you their baby has slept through since conception is of any help to you!!!!

OP what is your night time routine like? Does bub have a dummy or some kind of comfort item? I suggest keeping each day the same so that your bub knows it's bed time. Also can she self-settle?

Sorry for the 20 questions just trying to get a better idea of your situation. Big hugs and good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Big hugs HW that's tough. I'm sorry M is still not sleeping.

We recently clamped down on DS's sleeping as I couldn't take feeding him 3 times a night when I'm about to go back to work. Before that tho, I had given DS water when he woke instead of a bf and on the nights he would take it, he wouldn't wake again. I think being fed was making his stomach full and he wouldn't be able to settle properly.

For us we did cc in the end as that's what worked for us and it was only really 1 night and he slept through till 4.30 but I totally understand that it's not for everyone.

Big hugs and I know how tough it is, mil kept telling me from when DS was 6 weeks old that he should be sleeping through by now!! Ha!! Wasn't until 10 months and some encouragement but it will happen eventually

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week
    I'm in the same boat. Dd2 just turned 2 and I can count the number of times she has slept through on 2 hands. Dd1 was never great at going to sleep but once asleep was fine and could sleep the next day away if we let her. dd2 will go to sleep but just won't stay asleep. She will get through about 3 sleep cycles then wake and be unsettled the rest of the night.

I think about taking her to the Dr but as I had no help from them with dd1 I have lost faith in their ability to help.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hello! Our bub is 15 months and has never "slept through". He was starting to sleep from 7-ish to 5am and then wake for a feed and back to sleep till 7-ish. But that was only for a FEW DAYS (got my hopes up) and then between Christmas and New Year... feverish, runny poops, refusing foods he'd normally eat, just wanting purees and smoothies, chewing on his palm, and being generally miserable... all the signs for teething - it has never been this bad - anyway, one night he was in bed at 7-ish then up at 9, 11, 2, and 4 aaaaaaaaaaaarg!!! And taking forever to go back to sleep. It was a very long week of bad nights.

So I'm just sharing to let you know that you are not alone. Yes there are some bubs that sleep through at an early age but everyone is DIFFERENT.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Chippa View Post
    People are so rude aren't they!!! As if telling you their baby has slept through since conception is of any help to you!!!!

OP what is your night time routine like? Does bub have a dummy or some kind of comfort item? I suggest keeping each day the same so that your bub knows it's bed time. Also can she self-settle?

Sorry for the 20 questions just trying to get a better idea of your situation. Big hugs and good luck

Thanks everyone for your replies. Its very stressful for me.
    Yes she does have a dummy and a cuddle blanket, she can put these back in herself. But when she wakes she is awake, standing in the cot....fully awake, waiting to be rescued. Anyway. Yes we have a good routine at night and the trouble isnt getting her to sleep at all....its keeping her asleep.

She has dinner about 6 or a little earlier (when we do), then play until 7, bath or shower until about 7.30. We then have a cuddle, darken the room and cool it down (hot here in QLD) then she has a bottle and goes into bed. Every night. We very rarely go off that routine. She is in bed by 7.30- 7.45 every night.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopefully Waiting View Post
    Thanks everyone for your replies. Its very stressful for me.
    Yes she does have a dummy and a cuddle blanket, she can put these back in herself. But when she wakes she is awake, standing in the cot....fully awake, waiting to be rescued. Anyway. Yes we have a good routine at night and the trouble isnt getting her to sleep at all....its keeping her asleep.

She has dinner about 6 or a little earlier (when we do), then play until 7, bath or shower until about 7.30. We then have a cuddle, darken the room and cool it down (hot here in QLD) then she has a bottle and goes into bed. Every night. We very rarely go off that routine. She is in bed by 7.30- 7.45 every night.
    Hmmm sounds as if you're doing everything that I would do! The standing and crying in the cot is a worry. She needs to learn to lay down and go back to sleep. You could try laying her down then camping out on the floor til she gets the idea that mummy is there but it's time for sleep. Then just gradually withdraw as she falls asleep.

Hope that is of some help!

Thanks
    Reviews
    For the teething I've found sm33 gel is great.

For a good nights sleep it sounds like you are doing everything!

Perhaps add going out for a walk into your bedtime routine. My mum swears by fresh air to knock kids out all night....

Ps I feel your pain, I also had a terrible sleeper! xoxo