+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Question Sharing bedrooms

How do you work out the logistics?
    Our children will need to share a bedroom (2 per room) which is just over 3x3 - so not huge rooms. Bunks aren't an option because we rely on overhead fans to keep our powerbills down.
    What age does boy/girl sharing become an issue? Our 6yr girl/4yr boy will be sharing and depending on the sex of the baby, it is our intention for the two babies (15mths apart) to share for a couple of years.
    Our fourth room will be taken by the au pair - we need the assistance for the school drop offs etc as our town doesn't have facilities for before/after school care, and I can't work school hours - and hubby also works long hours - it's not easy finding a part time job for a bloke that will cover the daycare bill and I don't get paid enough for our family to live off without making drastic changes (like cancelling our insurances which I'm not comfortable with).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm not a large family but my two have to share as we are in a 2 bed apartment. I have a single bed with a pull out trundle that has a wooden panel base the same as the bed. They both have good quality innerspring mattresses. They absolutely love it. It does mean pushing in the bed each morning but I find it easier to make then climbing up on a bunk any way. There isn't enough room for two beds in there.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Theboys&me For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (02-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    DD and DS1 shared a room until DD was 5 and DS1 was 3, then it just became a hassle because DD would want to sleep and DS1 would want to play, so we split them, so I can't offer advice on girl/boy sharing, though if needed, I would personally do it until puberty hit and one of them clearly needed privacy.

As for room sharing, our rooms I suppose are on the lager size, but they're not massive (1920's house so we also have high ceilings). We have DD in her own room and the three boys will share. We have a bunk bed and a single bed in the boys room. Currently only DS1 and DS2 are in there (using the bunks) because DS3 is still bedsharing with us, but he'll be shifted into the boys room soon.

With all the beds in the boys room, it doesn't leave much room, we have two tall boys (opposite the ends of the beds) and two bedside tables (next to each other, beside each bed) and that's it. All their toys are in storage tubs either under the beds or on top of one of the tall boys and their books are on top of the other tallboy (but only until we get a new bookshelf).

Sharing small rooms, it can be done, you just have to make the most of what you have. Store things under beds, on top of furniture, move bigger toys to a lounge area (we have a couple of things in our lounge, like the train set table and DS3's toys). If you can't make use of a full height bunk bed, you can get lowline bunks which are a lot shorter, or there is the option of a bed with trundle (though this would be a little more of a hassle).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    We've got two singles in a small room, I can still manage to get a tall boy in between the head of the beds, and another drawer set behind the door, plus a bookshelf which I put baskets in for toys. It is fine for now (while they are little), but it won't be when they start getting bigger.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My girls have shared for a few years now, it works well for us and DS1 and next bub will be sharing as well, regardless of sex. Moving into our 4 by 2 soon, so we will have 3 bedrooms, I think depending on the next child's sex, if it's a boy, the boys will just share and the girls can have their own rooms, if it's a girl, they can share when young but as they get older, I'd probably keep my older 2 girls sharing and then have my DS and the youngest in their own rooms.
    I honestly like room sharing, I think it teaches them good sharing and consideration skills. Me and my sister always wanted to share when we were younger, we had our own rooms but always found ourselves sleeping in one or the others.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Not a large family, but my sister and I shared a room until we were about 8 & 11. We had a pretty small room. It fit both our beds (a single each), plus a wardrobe. We had shelves above my bed, and drawers under the bed for extra storage. I remember occasions where we fought over who owned what space, but other times where we had a great time talking/singing for ages before bed. It worked for us. It used to be the norm. The idea of kids having their own is pretty luxurious.

Personally I'd be happy having kids of any sex share until they seemed like they needed their own space, probably around puberty. That said, if I didn't have the space then they'd just have to deal with sharing as teenagers. It may not be ideal, but they'd survive.

Good luck

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Renn For This Useful Post:

char82  (26-06-2015),TotSnot  (02-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We have 4kids in a 3 bedroom house. 4boys so the boy girl thing isn't an issue. In one room I have a cot and a single bed 2x chest of drawers it's not easy and I can only have it all in one particular way. In the other room we have a double bed bunks but top bunk never gets used as my middle 2kids share the double bed. And the oldest and youngest are in the other room which will eventually be the you gets 2 kids room. Confusing and a tight fit but we manage. We built them a massive cubby house for Christmas this year so they have an extra space to hang out and play.