+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Anyone who has had PE or IUGR have some advice?

Please bare with me, this will be long!
    I fell pregnant with my first child in 2010, I used the midwife based care and saw them every 4 weeks or so. During my pregnancy I had 2 scans, one at 12 weeks and the other at 20 weeks, both was fine and pregnancy was progressing well. I began to notice that I was experiencing a lot of oedema, all over my body and had quite a small belly. At each midwife appointment my bp pressure was taken and my fundal height, I was never told if my bp was high or low and my small tummy was dismissed as myself was tiny. All concerns I had were dismissed and told dont worry. At 39 weeks the midwife finally thought it was worth a checkup scan and the ultrasound tech told me to go straight to my midwife and give her the report. I had little fluid left and my bub was measuring very small. I was admitted to hospital that afternoon and monitored to be induced the following morning. I started having contractions that night probably from the stress and gave birth naturally 3 hours before I was meant to be induced. My bub was passed to me when I deleivered and I could clearly see something was wrong, when I notified them that something wasn't right they snatched bub off me and took her to that table in the corner and called about 10 doctors In, they worked on bub for 11 minutes according to paperwork (I cannot remember much) while I deleivered the placenta. The placenta was gross and all falling apart (I ended up with retained placenta also) bub was taken to nicu and weighed at 1700 grams for 39 weeks gestation.

I was never given an answer as to why this happened, what it is called? All I got was a apology from the midwife as to not realising sooner that something was wrong. I asked for my placenta to be sent away and tested but it was chucked out. I now have a healthy still tiny toddler.

I went on to have a miscarriage in 2010 and then a ectoptic in 2012 that again was not diagnosed despite my voicing of concerns of low HCG levels and it eventually burst resulting in emergency surgery and removal of a Fallopian tube.

I am now entering my second trimester in 4th pregnancy but 2nd child. I have just been seeing a gp but am just another number and they don't even remember my name when I go for checkups. The gp suggested I do shared care for this pregnancy but I am just dissapointed that I can't have more care like a high risk patient would. Surely I am not low risk after my history. I went to a different gp who listened and said it sounds like I had preeclampsia with my first and he gave me a referral for the antenatal clinic at the hospital. I took it there myself but was just told I'd have to wait to see a midwife, could take upto 20 weeks, fair enough.

My question is has anyone else been through something similar? I wish I could afford to be a private patient and have a ob look after me. I'm so worried I will develop something later on in this pregnancy and no one will hear my concerns again.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Couldn't read and not offer hugs.

What a horrible situation to be in. Is it possible to go to next town for your hospital care?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thankyou. I don't think so but thanks for the suggestion. I will look into other hospitals also

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Last edited by cheeeeesecake; 03-03-2014 at 20:29.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mummy pig View Post
    Please bare with me, this will be long!
    I fell pregnant with my first child in 2010, I used the midwife based care and saw them every 4 weeks or so. During my pregnancy I had 2 scans, one at 12 weeks and the other at 20 weeks, both was fine and pregnancy was progressing well. I began to notice that I was experiencing a lot of oedema, all over my body and had quite a small belly. At each midwife appointment my bp pressure was taken and my fundal height, I was never told if my bp was high or low and my small tummy was dismissed as myself was tiny. All concerns I had were dismissed and told dont worry. At 39 weeks the midwife finally thought it was worth a checkup scan and the ultrasound tech told me to go straight to my midwife and give her the report. I had little fluid left and my bub was measuring very small. I was admitted to hospital that afternoon and monitored to be induced the following morning. I started having contractions that night probably from the stress and gave birth naturally 3 hours before I was meant to be induced. My bub was passed to me when I deleivered and I could clearly see something was wrong, when I notified them that something wasn't right they snatched bub off me and took her to that table in the corner and called about 10 doctors In, they worked on bub for 11 minutes according to paperwork (I cannot remember much) while I deleivered the placenta. The placenta was gross and all falling apart (I ended up with retained placenta also) bub was taken to nicu and weighed at 1700 grams for 39 weeks gestation.

I was never given an answer as to why this happened, what it is called? All I got was a apology from the midwife as to not realising sooner that something was wrong. I asked for my placenta to be sent away and tested but it was chucked out. I now have a healthy still tiny toddler.

I went on to have a miscarriage in 2010 and then a ectoptic in 2012 that again was not diagnosed despite my voicing of concerns of low HCG levels and it eventually burst resulting in emergency surgery and removal of a Fallopian tube.

I am now entering my second trimester in 4th pregnancy but 2nd child. I have just been seeing a gp but am just another number and they don't even remember my name when I go for checkups. The gp suggested I do shared care for this pregnancy but I am just dissapointed that I can't have more care like a high risk patient would. Surely I am not low risk after my history. I went to a different gp who listened and said it sounds like I had preeclampsia with my first and he gave me a referral for the antenatal clinic at the hospital. I took it there myself but was just told I'd have to wait to see a midwife, could take upto 20 weeks, fair enough.

My question is has anyone else been through something similar? I wish I could afford to be a private patient and have a ob look after me. I'm so worried I will develop something later on in this pregnancy and no one will hear my concerns again.

Hi mummy pig I had my cheeky little bubba on the 28/05/13 born at 27 weeks 597 grams due to severe early on set PE And IUGR the placenta was 85 grams and he had intermittent to absent cord blood flow. I was a public patient. With 3 mc under my belt I was terrified.
    I would be inquiring why you are not entitled to high risk pregnancy care due to your history. My GP fobbed me off and I didn't see a The antenatal clinic until I was 16 weeks and he was already a week behind in growth and they still didn't say anything, in fact the doctor told me I was having a dwarf. I would honestly really persist into seeing someone in the high risk clinic. I got stuck with midwife care only between 16-25 weeks and they didn't even know what half of the medical problems that I had were . We live In a Regional area of Victoria and the antenatal care here was terrible I ended up being transferred to Melbourne and saw a professor of perinatal medicine.. It makes me so cross when people fob of high risk pregnancies. The midwife here told me I was being overly dramatic when I rang about my pre eclampltic swelling and told me I was probably regaining fluid from not doing enough. I had my baby two weeks later. It's just terrible. If I were you and there was another major hospital around, if anything started to go pair shaped or you were concerned I would present to the emergency department if you can't do it any other way.
    Good luck. Here if you need to chat.

Ps my tiny baby is still tiny but he has almost 8 months old and on home oxygen but he is totally fine.

Xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Cheesecake; thankyou so much for the advice. The current gp I am seeing does have some qualifications in obstetrics but just treats me like another number. I have explained history/concerns etc he didn't even want to refer me to the antenatal clinic at the hospital at first! Just wanted to do shared care...no thanks!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bella; so sorry to read about your horrible treatment also. It's just absolutely ridiculous how they can ignore and turn away people and not listen to concerns. Every pregnancy is different and I think we know our Bodies best. You would think given history of previous issues, there would be some caution but they make you feel like your over reacting. I will be very loud about it and make sure i am cared for properly this time around. Can't wait for that first antenatal appointment, they won't know what's hit them!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Can you get hold of your records from your first pregnancy and get a dr to look at them? Might give you an idea of what happened last time and what the chances or of it happening again.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Are you able to afford a private OB? My family has an absolutely shocking history of PE, high blood pressure and IUGR in pregnancy due to Lupus ( have you ever been tested for the antibodies?) The immune system clots off and destroys the placenta, most women in my family deliver in the low 30 weeks with extremely GR babies.
    My OB was great. I took low dose asprin, high dose folate, injectable Clexane and steroids for my pregnancy. I was scanned monthly, then fortnightly, then weekly. At 35 weeks we decided that bub was better out than in, and delivered a healthy 3.58kg!!! girl by planned c section. At 6 months she is the size her nearest cousin was at 2 years.
    Keep being the squeaky wheel until you are happy with your treatment. Good luck!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would be yelling loud and clear what you want. Next time I am not going to just sit back and take everything that they say to heart I well and turkey could have lost my baby because nobody would listen. I think they get caught up on weather or not you're attending birthing classes or breastfeeding classes rather than actually listen to the problem/concerns you have.

Ps congratulations on the pregnancy, let us know how you get on with your appointments