+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Kindy have concerns about 3yo behaviour

DS1's kindy teacher pulled me aside the other day to chat about his behaviour. He is currently 3y and 8m old.
    Her main concerns were his biting, he bites other children when he is angry but will also bite objects. At home I have noticed that he will chew strange things like blu tac and rubber bands. He also chews the rubber tyres off his toys.
    He doesn't respond to his name, apparently they have to say it multiple times before he will respond.
    And just lately I have noticed that if we go somewhere loud he will cover his ears and complain of the noise.

I was writing them off as normal toddler behaviour but I think she is really concerned and wanted me to get him checked out. So I guess I just want to know if this all sounds normal and who I should talk to? We are off the the child health nurse this afternoon but she isn't really the best help with anything.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Honestly, no that doesn't sound normal in my opinion. I guess the Question is, are you worried about him ? If you are then it can't really hurt to get him checked out.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It wasnt typical of my 3 year son or daughter to do these things. Not saying its not normal but worth chatting to someone about if I was in your shoes.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sounds similar to my niece, perhaps it's sensory related. There are great OT's out there that can assess and then put together a plan going forward to help. If you ask your health nurse or GP to refer you it might help. There are probably names of people in your local on local council websites. All the best

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was also thinking it sounds like he has some sensory issues - a good OT should be able to help him, ask your GP or CHN for a referral (or recommendation, some OT's don't need a referral from GP etc you can self refer).

Goodluck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it sounds like it's worth checking out further. Perhaps a visit to a paediatrician might be in order (or your GP if you have one you trust and who is knowledgeable in paediatrics). They should be able to refer you to the right person/people to follow up.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Dr Google is pointing me to sensory problems too. Also I'm a bit concerned about the lack of eye contact that he makes.

I probably wouldn't be so concerned but DH supposedly had ADHD as a child but he really doesn't match any of the signs for that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't know if it's 'notmal', but my ds1 did this at that age.

I looked up all the SPD stuff and I convinced myself he had some form of it. He doesn't. He just didn't have a lengthy concentration span and just hated certain loud noises.

Still get him checked out, but spend some one on one time with him doing jigsaw puzzles and working on his confidence so that he doesn't freak out when he hears something he doesn't like.

Good luck xoxo

Thanks
    Reviews
    If daycare is bringing it up id definitely get him checked. If there is a problem the sooner you get help the better

For what it's worth I'm a normal functioning adult & I hate the noise & bright lights at the shops!

Thanks
    Reviews
    It doesn't normal to me, I would be getting it checked out.