+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 2yo still night waking

Two year old DD still wakes on average 3 times a night, sometimes more sometimes less. This is not a regression, she has never routinely slept through the night all the way, she has done it by fluke maybe 3 or four times. We have managed to do a bit of work and she now goes to sleep in her bed with a parent next to the bed or sometimes just one parents hand touching her but we haven't been able to move further than that.

I know we have left this a long time and I'm not too proud about it but my son has Autism and between all of his therapies and just trying to give the kids both quality time etc. we have just been physically and emotionally exhausted. None of that has changed mind you but I'm hoping if we had some sort of clear steps, a program or plan we might be able to progress. My doctor has told me I need to find a way to decrease my stress levels and DD sleeping through the night would certainly do that.

I almost posted this in the no cry section as we won't do controlled crying or anything like locking her in her room and leaving her but I would do a little crying, eg. waiting a few minutes before not going in or waiting for her to come out of her room, I don't know really but you get the idea, nothing too harsh but a little crying if she is not too upset is ok.

We just need an idea, something clearly defined with steps and what to do if she does X.

Help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    I would recommend going to baby sleep site dot com, you can get personalised, step by step sleep plans tailored to your parenting style, your dd's personality and autism.

You do need to pay for them, but it's an amazing site and the ladies writing the sleep plans are all highly qualified.

I hope that helps

Me 31, He 34, DD 21 months, waiting for just 1 more to complete our family.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Have you had her medically checked?? My dd woke every 2-3 hrs, sometimes more frequently until she had her tonsils removed when she was 2. After the initial recovery, her sleep improved almost immediately to sleeping through, there were other indicators also like snoring, inability to tolerate solids, speech delay. But sleep was my biggest concern. I feel for you .... Chronic sleep deprivation is just awful. Good luck!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to shirleysmum For This Useful Post:

wigglemum  (07-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My DD doesn't sleep through either (she's 2). Her sleeping has gotten better, but I understand how exhausting it can be and I don't have other children!

I'm not sure where you are, but can you get a referral to Tresillian or the like? Their website also has some settling tips? Or Baby Bliss does consultations over the phone etc? I went to a seminar of hers and she seemed to be a middle ground between controlled crying and no cry.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Iron levels also have a major impact on sleep.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wildflowers View Post
    We have managed to do a bit of work and she now goes to sleep in her bed with a parent next to the bed or sometimes just one parents hand touching her but we haven't been able to move further than that.
    That is really great!

The next step that i did was telling dd that i just had to get something and would be back. I left the room and returned in 2 minutes, before she got upset or got out of bed.

I then increased the gap that i was out of the room, always returning before she started getting antsy or playing up.

i never closed the door, and kept returning but after awhile she would fall asleep without one of use there.

good luck, no need to not feel proud. you have been there for your kids and done what you needed to to get through.

take care

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Bubbles10 For This Useful Post:

debsch  (08-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubbles10 View Post
    That is really great!

The next step that i did was telling dd that i just had to get something and would be back. I left the room and returned in 2 minutes, before she got upset or got out of bed.

I then increased the gap that i was out of the room, always returning before she started getting antsy or playing up.

i never closed the door, and kept returning but after awhile she would fall asleep without one of use there.

good luck, no need to not feel proud. you have been there for your kids and done what you needed to to get through.

take care
    Thanks for this tip. I think it is a good idea if you want to do it slowly. I've done it a few times, saying, I'll be back, I just have to get xyz, and have noticed that bub doesn't fuss. So I will be trying this technique on him more deliberately soon.