+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cluckcluck View Post
    I'd be giving the tenancy advocacy agency in your state a call, I'm site they can't just drive past whenever they like.
    So if someone owns a house that they rent out, they are not allowed to drive to ever drive down that street again? Even if they have friends or family who live on that street, or if its a main thoroughfare? Or if they do drive down that street they have avert their eyes when passing that house??

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to littlelove For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (07-01-2014),Star Light  (06-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    OP, I'd be a bit wary of both the landlord and real estate from now on.

Dare I say they'll both be 'watching' you now. Be careful not to give them any reasons to pick on you further.

I don't think you've done anything wrong, it just seems like they've decided to make it a big issue

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

Chillies  (10-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    OP I've been in a similar situation. My old landlords drove past the house and complained to the real estate about a tree that it looked we had cut down in the garden.

The landlords happened to be friends with the people at the end of our cul de sac, and had noticed when driving past. Perfectly innocent. The tree had been hit by the neighbours kid on his bike and snapped off (it was a very young sapling). We just explained what happened and the landlord came out and replaced the tree.

In my instance I didn't feel there was anything for us to be upset about. If your landlord did trespass however, as you suspect, then that's something I'd follow up on with the RE or RTA. They have no right to enter the boundary of the property without consent.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BentzMumma View Post
    Yes I explained why they were cut. They are still there. They will grow back, no doubt hanging right over the grass again as that is the way they lean. Apparently we also have 'a lot' of rubbish in the driveway. There were 2 large boxes up the end of the drive which I believe they would only have seen had they got out of their car or driven in the drive. They were from childrens Christmas presents, waiting for dh to take to the tip. I do feel like our privacy has been somewhat violated. I'm now going to stress all the time thinking, what if they drive past. I said that to the real estate and she said 'don't be so rude, they have every right to drive past whenever they like'. The real estate is going to come past and take photos. I suppose we will go from there.
    My goodness!! My husband & I are landlords ... We don't drive by & check out the house! They are plants for goodness sake, they will either grow or at the end of your tenancy I'd ask for a couple of new ones to be put in.. If I felt fussy! Our rental property is a new & modern house by the beach so it's not like it's getting a bit scruffy or anything but I just respect the fact that as long as you are paying your rent & looking after the place then we are happy.

Sounds like the agent is a cow & the owners are nosy old buggers!

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LilCritter For This Useful Post:

Chillies  (10-01-2014),HugsBunny  (07-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    The last house we rented...the next door neighbours were the owners mil & fil!!! I felt watched 24/7 and it was awful.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by sam4frankie View Post
    So if someone owns a house that they rent out, they are not allowed to drive to ever drive down that street again? Even if they have friends or family who live on that street, or if its a main thoroughfare? Or if they do drive down that street they have avert their eyes when passing that house??
    That's not what I'm saying. I'm saying that they can't drive past and sticky beak. The OP said that she thought they'd got out of their car and had a look around. That isn't on. If they are concerned about the property they should contact the realestate, I'm assuming that's why they're paying for someone else to manage their property ?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to cluckcluck For This Useful Post:

trustno1  (06-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by cluckcluck View Post
    That's not what I'm saying. I'm saying that they can't drive past and sticky beak. The OP said that she thought they'd got out of their car and had a look around. That isn't on. If they are concerned about the property they should contact the realestate, I'm assuming that's why they're paying for someone else to manage their property ?
    Thanks for clarifying Cluck. Sticky beaking and 'just driving past' (as per your last post) are two very different things. Sticky beaking is a big no-no, and as I said in my second post, if they trespassed, that should be addressed.

It does sound though like the LL did contact the real estate? The RE contacted the OP after the LL mentioned about the trees. The LL didn't contact the OP directly (which is also a no-no). They may have just been driving past, noticed the trees and stopped to take a look (granted, they shouldn't have got out to look around), then contacted the RE to work out what had happened. But I do tend to give people the benefit of the doubt.

It sounds like both the OP and the LL have done something they shouldn't have (OP trimming the shrubs without notifying the RE, and the LL stopping to take a look around)...and it's all just been compounded by a rude and aggressive RE.

I do think though that the LL and RE have made a big deal over nothing much. Some trimmed shrubs? Big whoop! They've taken it a bit far really...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Our landlords BIL drives past and makes sure the front is neat apparently. The real estate have told us this

Sent from my LT15i using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    I know how you feel. We're currently renting and have experienced similar things. The most recent one being, the landlord and her mother attended the house inspection with the agent! Is this allowed? We had no idea and were totally shocked. My Ds was only 2weeks at the time and they complained because there were 2 weeds in the garden bed. I'm sorry, but we're first time parents with a newborn, the weeds can wait. The rest of the house was immaculate.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    The plants will grow back. It's not like we ripped them out. I have no issue with the owner driving past every now and then but like I said, for them to see the boxes at the end if the drive I do think they would have had to get out of their car. Or at the very least pull up and have a good old sticky beak.

I would be more than happy to completely remove the plants and replace them. I'm no gardener but I do believe they are the wrong type of plant for the location that they are in.

I do believe that the owners can be present during a routine inspection but the tenants must be notified that they will be there.