+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Rental property garden question

I was just wondering if anyone knows about or can link me to the section in the tenancies act in regards to the maintenance of a rental property's garden.

We are renting. In our front yard there were 2 large shrubs/trees. They were hanging right over the garden edge onto the grass. We had a very windy night a few weeks back and one snapped low to the base so we had to trim it off. We trimmed the other one also as it was likely to do the same over time. The real estate has just called and the owner has driven past and is not happy. I think now and yes we should have contacted the real estate prior to trimming the tress but we didn't.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Wow thats petty. First world problem
    ( landlord)

Sent from my GT-I9305T using The Bub Hub mobile app

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SoThisIsLove For This Useful Post:

Albert01  (06-01-2014),HugsBunny  (07-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I know, right! They would have whinged if we had left them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Explain what happened. Yes before making "major" changes you are supposed to ask. But I think they need to allow a bit in this case

Sent from my LT15i using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    It's very petty on the owners behalf. Did you explain to the RE as to why you trimmed them?

I guess next time, leave the tree snapped, report it to the RE and let the owners deal with it.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    So you're not allowed to trim trees at all then ? That seems a bit silly. What are the owners doing driving past inspecting the property anyway ? I understand that they own it but isn't that what periodical inspections are for ? I'd really feel like my privacy had been violated if I were you

8. The Following User Says Thank You to cluckcluck For This Useful Post:

SoThisIsLove  (06-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    If the landlord kicks up a fuss, hit them with a breach for quiet enjoyment. How are you meant to relax in your own home if they are driving past having stickybeaks? Who's to say that they aren't looking through the windows or over fences aswell? (I'm not paranoid enough to think that they are actually doing this, but if they want to be petty, I would be petty right back)

Sent from my U8860 using The Bub Hub mobile app

10. The Following User Says Thank You to trustno1 For This Useful Post:

HarvestMoon  (06-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have always kept shrubs trimmed and shaped and I have always been praised by my landlord for keeping the garden tidy. I would explain what happened...it's not like you maliciously cut the shrubs down!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes I explained why they were cut. They are still there. They will grow back, no doubt hanging right over the grass again as that is the way they lean. Apparently we also have 'a lot' of rubbish in the driveway. There were 2 large boxes up the end of the drive which I believe they would only have seen had they got out of their car or driven in the drive. They were from childrens Christmas presents, waiting for dh to take to the tip. I do feel like our privacy has been somewhat violated. I'm now going to stress all the time thinking, what if they drive past. I said that to the real estate and she said 'don't be so rude, they have every right to drive past whenever they like'. The real estate is going to come past and take photos. I suppose we will go from there.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd be giving the tenancy advocacy agency in your state a call, I'm site they can't just drive past whenever they like.