+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default What's with the Toyota Camry ad?

You know the one? "Calling all the heroes" and all the house husbands walking their kids? I don't get it. Is it supposed to be sarcastic? What has it got to do with cars? I just can't figure it out but it's really annoying me. Are they heroes because they are looking after the kids? If so why aren't there women in the ad too?

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's a rip off from the movie what to expect when you're expecting. Like they are the new version of dad cool.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    DH and I were discussing this ad yesterday. I can't work out the target market. I don't think many people would identify with the guys in the ad and many would not want to be associated with those 'cool' dads. Seems to alienate both mums and dads.

I can't see too many people seeing the ad and then saying 'quick, lets buy a Camry'.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to DJ Nette For This Useful Post:

moosey  (09-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree, it kinda seems a bit sexist in a way that the dads are hero's for looking after the kids. But then it also feels like they are being patronising to dads who think they are hero's. It just leaves me confused. Definitely can't see it making anyone want a Camry.
    If it has to do with a movie, then they are assuming everyone has seen the movie and those who haven't are just just left with a "what the?" Feeling.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My kids didn't get this either.

The Camry was voted Best Family Car somewhere and has always had a big deal made about its safety rating - I think it's kind of the best behind the Volvo or something. I think that's what's been alluded to - that you choose the "safe" car cos you're "square". As for the Dads - let's be honest, even in this enlightened era, Dads usually have a bit more say about the car.

I thought the Ad made sense from that perspective but it's all about image, not features. I like the Ads where they give you a run-down of the car, too.