+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by peanutmonkey View Post
    Uh, $20 on a set from kmart? Lol. Im a masdive clutz, the amount of plates and bowls I have broken is huge.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    I am exactly the same.
    I love nice looking dinner sets but honestly, they get broken or I bring dishes over to others houses and never end up picking them up again. If I could justify the money I would but we don't tend to have people over for dinner much and even if we did my friends wouldn't bat an eyelid at what the plates looked like.

In saying that If I had a voucher like someone said or we had the money to spend whilst not needing to buy other things first, I'd spend a fair amount.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Get it! I love my Noritake.

My mum also has her set and my Grandmother's set and both are still in great condition.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    If you love it, I say go for it I'd pay that for a nice set that I loved, but we'd also use it everyday (we wouldn't pay that kind of money to not use it ).

Mod-biscotti is offline Administrator Administrator
    Winner 2012 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    If you really really love it and it's going to make you smile every time you use it (and not break the bank!) then I would buy it!

(but I am pretty good at talking myself into buying things )

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-biscotti For This Useful Post:

NancyBlackett  (05-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I got 2x Royal Doulton set from my mum for my 1st wedding (more than 15 years ago), at first I kept it as the 'good set' but after we split I decided I should enjoy using it and it's going strong 8 years later. I know she got it for 50-60% off and it was still 200-300 a set. While I didn't pay for it, I could have done what my brother did and ask her to spend that amount on cheaper set + cuttlery + saucepans + serving dishes etc, $400-600 buys a lot of maxwell williams after all! But I really wanted beautiful plates! My mum still has her divine Noritake set from her wedding 40+ years ago.

Because it's China it doesn't chip easily (eg. when stacking in the dishwasher) and can even withstand a lot of drops. I think I've broken one plate. Brands like RD and Noritake will always make replacements too I believe (though they cost a lot). The only downside is mine has metal on it so if there's not much food on the plate it arcs in the microwave and the metal gets hot. I picked up a $15 set just to use in the microwave and in just a couple of years half the plates are chipped and several smashed.

Another odd observation. My dinner goes cold a lot quicker on the cheap plates than on the china plates.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone. Gosh I think I am going to get it...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have a noritake set I use everyday and I love it. It's a bit of money but you get pleasure out of it 3x a day and you cant say that about most expensive things.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Gosh, I am a Scrooge! But plates etc. are just not my thing.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

Purple Lily  (05-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Get it! My sister and I bought a 16 piece royal Albert for my mum for Christmas half price for $150. It will be for when her and dad have friends over for dinner. She had a billion pieces of an arcopel set which is enough for our family of 30+, but it's lovely to have something really special.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have a wedgewood set that I use every day. I've never broken or chipped any of them and I've used the everyday for 12 years. (Wedding gift). It does pay to get quality. I have a little cheap set which are now used as prep bowls because they are so badly chipped.

My wedgewood goes in the dish washer and has not faded at all.

It's lovely eating on Beautiful china.