+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default First day at daycare

DS starts daycare next week. What's the best to do? Stay a while or leave quickly. I plan to ring after dropping off to see how he's settling.

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I would stay for a play with him, and then say goodbye and leave without a fuss.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to SpecialPatrolGroup For This Useful Post:

WiseOldOwl  (05-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yes stay for a play and show him where his things are. When your ready to go, wait until he is engaged with an activity, then say a simple goodbye with a 'mummy/I will be back after....', then a kiss and out you go. Best advice, don't draw out the goodbye! And if you can, an earlier pick up for the first week so the day isn't so long for him.
    Good luck!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Koarlo For This Useful Post:

WiseOldOwl  (05-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We did an orientation period where we just went to play and l stayed all the time. We didn't have to pay for this because l was there.. When l did leave him - it was a quick good bye and then leave.. I still don't hang around now.. Build up the time they are there too

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ewilliams View Post
    We did an orientation period where we just went to play and l stayed all the time. We didn't have to pay for this because l was there.. When l did leave him - it was a quick good bye and then leave.. I still don't hang around now.. Build up the time they are there too
    We had 3 orientation sessions of 1 hr each before Christmas so I'm hoping he'll remember being there before but I was there so he could come to me when he wanted.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Drop him and go straight away but do NOT sneak out - make sure he knows you are leaving but will be back later.

Thanks
    Reviews
    If also recommend you be prepared for him to get upset when you go, and for the possibility of you having a cry in your car! I'm sure by the time you make your follow up call he'll be settled and happily playing, but they like to tug on the heart strings when you first leave.

My son has been going to day care for two years now and still cries when I leave, almost every time. And yet he always has a ball and often asks to go to "school" on his days off!